In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

USS Indianapolis Survivor Cleatus Lebow passed away

Discussion in 'As You Were' started by Knothead, Sep 30, 2022.

1. Knothead

Knothead

Rest in Peace Cleatus Lebow

upload_2022-9-30_21-40-14.jpeg
    ·
    It is with the deepest sadness that we must share that USS Indianapolis Survivor Cleatus Lebow passed away earlier today.

Cleatus, 98, was a lifelong Texas resident, having grown up with 8 brothers and sisters in Abernathy. As a teen, he joined the Navy and was shortly thereafter assigned to USS Indianapolis in January of 1944. He helped the ship earn 7 of her 10 battle stars. Cleatus was a Fire Controlman 3rd class who worked as a gunnery range-finder for most of those battles including Marianas, Tinian, Iwo Jima, and the pre-bombardment of Okinawa.

Following the war, Lebow returned home to Abernathy and worked for the telephone company, where his military experience was helpful. He worked in various locations in that field for 35 years prior to retiring. He became an integral member of the USS Indianapolis Survivors Organization and attended many reunions through the following decades, honoring his shipmates and sharing their stories with everyone he could.

With his passing, there is one remaining USS Indianapolis survivor, Harold Bray, Jr.

Attached Files:

EODMSgt and MikeInMa like this.
  2. Redneck

Redneck

:usa: RIP

EODMSgt, Knothead and MikeInMa like this.
  3. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

I recently watched the movie about the USS Indianapolis.

The movie was OK. I'm not a big fan of Nicholas Cage. The actual story carried the movie. I'd recommend seeing it.

EODMSgt and Knothead like this.
  4. EODMSgt

EODMSgt

Was unfamiliar with this movie, might have to check it out (despite it having Cage in it). Most people only know of the Indianapolis sinking from Jaws and Robert Shaw's description of the shark feeding frenzy following the torpedoing of the ship. I highly recommend Doug Stanton's book In Harm's Way: The Sinking of the U.S.S. Indianapolis and the Extraordinary Story of Its Survivors. One of the best books I have ever read.

MightyWhitey, Knothead and MikeInMa like this.