In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Ugly stump and face cuts.

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by MikeInMa, Nov 30, 2022.

1. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

I read where some people comment about no stump pictures because a picture of it wouldn't qualify for the cover of Hoarders Quarterly, or some other qualifier.

Well, here's a recent one of mine.
    IMG_20221127_083004.jpg

It fell right where I wanted it. I was up at chest height and didn't get the saw as level as it should have been. So, I nibbled away at it and it was fine.

So.... post your ugly stump pics! :whistle:

Maybe someone will learn something from another's experience.

2. Chud

Chud

That sure looks like a sourwood to me.

3. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

Thanks for sharing MikeInMa might give me the courage to post some of mine, although I don't fell that much I am often hesitant to show it because I know I've botched some LOL. I've learned a ton on here just recently.

ThomH123, T.Jeff Veal, Horkn and 11 others like this.
  4. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Ill play. 28" dead white oak. NOT MY FELLING! :picard:Posted this a few times here before. IMG_4922 (1).JPG
    Cant get much uglier, 'cept maybe an ex GF of mine! :rofl: :lol:

Last edited: Nov 30, 2022
  5. isaaccarlson

isaaccarlson

I've seen some ugly/unsafe/bad stumps. The notch doesn't have to look good, it's the hinge that matters (as long as the notch doesn't interfere with the tree falling).

6. Va Homesteader

Va Homesteader

well at least it has a hinge . so it's not that bad :emb:

7. GMB77

GMB77

I like options. Seems that feller does too.:salute:

8. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

He had started and walked away from it for a week or two. I was asked to take over and declined. There was some windy days and it stood firm. Guy returned and got it on the ground.
    Im amazed he walked away. I bucked it all up and collected it out of the woods. SS for my friend to use as it was in his woods. The collateral damaged red maple i got to keep.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2022
  9. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

This is one I cut back in 2015. I have probably felled over 300 trees now up in the mountains. Not all of them come out perfect.
    This one did fall where I wanted though even though I got the back cut crooked as a dog's hind leg. The next one I was working on there I got correct.

033.JPG
    035.JPG

10. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

I should look through some pics too, it happens. As was stated, if it's got a decent hinge it's normally ok. I've butchered a few in my time as well. Brad's is the winner though. I've seen a few like that when cutting and I look for the body of the "feller" before I go any further.

11. rotorburn

rotorburn

67ADB04F-2CFF-4D56-8ED3-17F8A2D9C267.jpeg Here’s one I came across recently from 97 when I was a young buck with a brand new craftsman saw. Clearly I was a fan of the extreme angled back cut and if memory serves, I didn’t even bother with face cuts at the time. Just rip and run!

12. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

Thanks for the contributions!

13. EODMSgt

EODMSgt

I went back through a bunch of pics and didn't find any ugly stump images. I'm definitely not saying I haven't had any, just that I didn't take any pictures (if there are no pictures then it didn't happen!). I do know on a few occasions, after the tree is down, I have gone back to the 'ugly' stump and cut it flush so there is no proof/evidence (the cut off then disappears into the woods or ends up in my chunk/ugly bins).

14. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I usually cut one log length (16" in my case) above where im to cut off the stump. Makes it a little easier to get an even cut when felling. Easier on my again back too.

15. jo191145

jo191145

Certainly not my ugliest but my last. Had a good lean too it. Should have bore cut it but it was at eye level and,,,,,,,,didn’t want that risk. Who wants a kickback across the face with a 28” bar LOL
    So I went conventional. As soon as the kerf began to open I stopped and backed away. Maybe should have kept going a little more. It stood for about a minute deciding what it would do. Small barber chair started cracking. I just sat back and debated what my next move was. Finally it went over before I could make up my mind. That was good.
    Cut off the end in 16” increments to get rid of the split. This log was going to the mill for my pallet pen straps.

my uglies never got photoed. That would be my first year of “felling”. Not many actually fell. I learned fast but am not a good feller by any means. Mostly my wood is on the ground already.

C2F1CF74-8730-4E2D-9F7E-2B682074C024.jpeg

16. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

I usually do the same any more as bending just tears up my back.

17. Backwoods Savage

If I ever remember there is a stump at one of our neighbor's that begs a picture. I know who chewed that off but have never said anything to him. Some day I might have some fun with him though.

18. Stephiedoll

Stephiedoll

Not many pictures of mine as I don't do much felling. They work, but no beauty contest winners. Should have got some when they were doing an interstate widening project. Let's just say lots of angled back cuts and barber chairs left laying for everyone to look at.

19. jo191145

jo191145

Im at the point where I go up 32”. And I had better think twice because even at that height my escape route is too short :)

20. Backwoods Savage

But the rest you do just fine.