In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Twisty bendy elms

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Jonathan Y, Aug 22, 2024 at 2:43 PM.

1. Jonathan Y

Jonathan Y

These things lean and twist in any direction in search of sunlight. I just cut this red elm with a "U" shaped trunk. It's not just buttress roots at the stump. The trunk has the same shape for the first 6 to 8 feet, which you can sort of see in the second photo.

It's been dead two years. Branch wood is ready to burn. Top half of trunk is somewhat dry. Bottom half is dripping water from the rounds. At least it smells like cinnamon. American elm is the nasty stuff. Red elm (aka slippery elm) smells ok.

20240822_123951.jpg
    20240822_124000.jpg
    20240822_140712.jpg

Red elm is good firewood. The branches in particular are quite dense, about the same as red oak.

20240822_140736.jpg

2. huskihl

huskihl

Are you sure that’s red? Looks more like white elm to me. Red elm is usually consistently brown all the way through

The Wood Wolverine and eatonpcat like this.
  3. Jonathan Y

Jonathan Y

My other photos didn't show the weirdness very well, so let's try this. This is what the trunk looks like about 15 feet up.

20240822_153547.jpg

MikeInMa likes this.
  4. Jonathan Y

Jonathan Y

Could be, but it smells like cinnamon almonds. I can tell them apart when alive by looking at and feeling the leaves. When dead with half or more of the bark missing, I go by smell, mostly. If it smells nasty, it's American. If it smells sort of like candied almonds, it's red. That is my unscientific method. This could be a nice smelling dead American elm, if such a thing exists. Good firewood either way if seasoned and top covered.

5. Jonathan Y

Jonathan Y

Might you be thinking of Siberian elm? That stuff has a few rings of white sap wood and is mostly dark red heart wood. I have heard people call Siberian elm red elm.

What I am calling red elm is also called slippery elm. The technical name is ulmus rubra, which means red elm in latin. The bark is similar to American elm but a little flatter.

Siberian elm (ulmus pumila) has deeply furrowed bark and dark red heartwood.

I'm no elm expert, but this is my understanding. If I'm wrong, I'll study more. :).

Last edited: Aug 22, 2024 at 4:15 PM
    Eric Wanderweg likes this.
  6. Ronaldo

Ronaldo

Primo stuff!! The limb chunks sound like bowling pins when you knock ‘em together. Good burning, dense stuff. Dead standing Elm is probably 75% of what I burn.

7. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

I've only cut young ( < 5 years old ) red elm so I can't speak to the color of the wood as it gets more mature. If the leaf surface is rough, it's slippery (red) elm, and if it's smooth that's American. Agreed Siberian elm is darker all the way through it, other than the sapwood ring. Also Siberian has much smaller leaves than our native elms.

MikeInMa and theburtman like this.