In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Trimmers - discussion/pics

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by RCBS, Apr 25, 2023.

1. RCBS

RCBS

Our saws get all the glory, but let's face it...our Trimmers are putting in solid work too and should be appreciated. I'm going to have ahold of mine for an hour or two this evening. I love mine and literally won't trade it for brand new stuff ( I have a 525L stored, ungassed ). 3 main reasons I love this model....Weight - 9lbs unfueled. Good power. T35 trimmer head - holds a bunch and is easy to reload. I know there are many fancier heads now, but honestly...I don't need any of that stuff. I get a 5 minute break while fueling and putting string in the head. If my life is ever so hectic that I need a 'fast' loading trimmer head, it's time to re-evaluate my life. lol

I've had this one about 7 years now. Paid $300 at Lowes. My last one is still being used by my sister around her place. I had used that one for around 10 years before giving it to her, somewhat reluctantly.

Screenshot_20230425-134325.png

Screenshot_20230425-134349.png

A guesstimate on hours used per year is somewhere around 25-30. Maybe half of that is trimming where the mower don't fit. The rest is a mix of thick grassy weeds, light brush, small saplings and other general unpleasantries. It just keeps going. Not a powerhouse, but plenty for my needs. I would recommend these to anyone, no question.

What about you? Got a favorite? A trimmer you hate? Post up your unsung heros (and villains).

2. corncob

corncob

I rarely use a string head, I mostly use the Stihl tri cut head or a scratcher blade on my FS66 which really needs replaced. and I don't much care for the 2 handed style like you have. I prefer the bicycle style trimmers with the handlebars and a balancing harness. Don't want to hold the weight of any trimmer when I can let my upper body carry it via a shoulder harness.

I smell an Echo coming this year.

3. RCBS

RCBS

I used Stihl's 3 blades setup for a few years back in the day. I have too much stuff that tears them up when I hit it. I can one-hand the Husky. Super handy for reaching down banks.

4. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

[​IMG]

That's pretty much my weed-eater. 2 tools I hate the most, the gas powered weed-eater and the reciprocating saw. My hands totally hate when I use them, so more often than not, I just spray to where my mower can reach.

I was given a Troy Built 2-smoke straight shaft one with a head that has a clutch. It has been pretty solid for the 4-5 years I've had it but like I said, doesn't see much use.

ammoaddict, John D, FarmerJ and 6 others like this.
  5. RCBS

RCBS

I used to use quite a bit of glyphosate but have cut back due to price and just not really wanting to handle it more than I have to. I also find spraying less aesthetic...which is the reason I trim in the first place? One thing I learned killing weeds with spray...only the toughest and nastiest stuff will grow back, which ends up compounding the problem. Not so much under a fence, or along a walkway but say on a bankhillside. If I use the trimmer...it may take a few years...but it will slowly start to turn into grass. I still can't mow it or I would be already, but it starts looking better even when it's gotten a little bushy.

6. Eggshooterist

Eggshooterist

Trimmers....the tool of the devil. Lol. Necessary evil. I've ruined near 40 in oil testing and enjoyed every minute. Well, I didn't hate it anyway.

7. Ohio

Ohio

Fs110 bike handle. I've had this 7 years, only thing I've done is change filters, replaced the clutch and drum and adjusted the valves and replaced the valve cover gasket. Valves probably didn't need adjusted.

0425231738_Film2.jpg

0425231738b_Film2.jpg

I switch the head to weed eat, I've thought about getting a dedicated string trimmer. It wears the tri blade most of the time. Mostly cut brush and Russian olive where the tractor can't go. I think about getting a more powerful unit. Instead I take the blade off and sharpen it and voila, more power. Ill probably run it until it blows up. Probably will buy a traditional 2 stroke next.

0425231738a_Film2.jpg

8. Lennyzx11

Lennyzx11

Stihl kombi 90r here. I wished I’d sprung the extra bucks 10 years ago for the 110 though I honestly never needed that.

It has the trimmer, pole saw, and the brush cutter attachments.
    It’s been a good one. Starts every time fairly easily. I try to run it out of fuel after each use.

And since I’m team red(Milwaukee), I picked up one of their cordless 18v trimmers a couple of years ago that has been excellent for quick cuts and finish ups I mighta missed or don’t want to refuel the Stihl for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. RCBS

RCBS

This unit looks like it has seen some action. A buddy of mine has a Stihl 4mix trimmer, two of them I think. I could never understand what Stihl was trying to gain with a 4 stroke that still uses oil in the gas. Their trimmers always feel heavy to me being used to the light Hoosky.

10. Eggshooterist

Eggshooterist

IMG_20230426_125638225~2.jpg IMG_20230426_125529483~2.jpg Ok. I'll play. Here are the four I currently have.

The poulan / weed eater has been my go to for 3-4 years now. Light. Under 10 pounds full of fuel and .095 line. I paid $12 at the online auction. It will be sacrificed on the oil testing alter now that I have this ↓

The Stihl FS45. I paid $6 for it at the same auction with a brand new carb, fuel lines, filters ect in a sealed box. I normally hate curved shaft trimmers but this one is darn near as long as my straight shaft and its the perfect head angle for my height. It runs like a watch with that HIPA carb and it's lighter at the head end than the poulan.

The Ryobi came as a brush cutter from the factory. $10 at the auction. New Oregon blade was purchased by my nephew and we share the unit between us as needed. It zips off saplings 1" and under in a scary fashion.

Lastly the Echo. Free from Pallet Pete and formally a short curved shaft. He gave it to me to oil test on. I've done some caebon build up testing on it but won't ruin it. I bored the hole out to fit a straight shaft from another auction craftsman trimmer.

I know, for a guy that hates trimmers he sure has some lol. I'll thin the herd eventually to the Stihl and Ryobi. Now a brush cutter is far more useful to me and entertaining to run. I could see getting a Stihl 94R with a blade if the Ryobi dies. It probably won't but heres hoping....

11. Eggshooterist

Eggshooterist

I agree. Id never buy a 4 stroke hand held of any brand just because of wt. My brother has a honda powdered Husqvarna 4 stroke string trimmer. Its a beast in weeds but a tank all the time lol.

12. RCBS

RCBS

You have all the flavors! What is the model of the Poulan please?

13. Eggshooterist

Eggshooterist

I put the straight shaft from a weed eater on it. They are identical except color. Back in those days anyway. Basically this poulan is a weed eater feather lite. Both came in curved and straight shaft and 20cc / 25cc.
    IMG_20230426_134651415~2.jpg

14. Eggshooterist

Eggshooterist

This is the body work off the weed eater version.
    I've killed somewhere between 35-40 of these in testing.
    IMG_20230426_135037848~2.jpg

15. Ohio

Ohio

I have cleared a ton of land with this unit. The 4 mix design was created to meet emissions. The pro models like the fs240 are mtronic strato charged designs. But they cost in excess of 700 dollars and I'm not paying that for a weed eater.

John D, metalcuttr, RCBS and 4 others like this.
  16. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

I got the Stihl combi in 130 don’t need power for trimming
    Got pole saw, love it
    Rototiller Great for flower beds and plow truck ruts
    Power broom Long gravel driveway
    Saw blade… 3 inch maples on edge of field :thumbs:
    the broom and tiller needed more power

John D, metalcuttr, Skier76 and 5 others like this.
  17. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

We have 2 different units, a gifted Husky 223, had to buy a new guard for it. My wife likes it, plenty of power/torque and light. I can run it with 1 hand.
    The other is a beast, the Stihl Kombi 130, got the curved shaft trimmer head, straight shaft with tri blade or beaver blade, pole saw w/extension, blower, edger, adjustable angle hedge trimmer.

John D, metalcuttr, RCBS and 2 others like this.
  18. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

Stihl FS90 that I sometimes use with the string head when a little extra grunt is needed but most of the time it gets the hedge trimmer attachment.

Shindawia T235 for trimming , string head always on this one.
    Nice light little trimmer.

19. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

My 2 girls...Old picture

Echo SRM230 & the new one is an SRM266...They both did a good job, the 230 is now gone

20190607_220101.jpg

20. Eggshooterist

Eggshooterist

From my experience, the old grey Echo units are stronger than the new ones. Ive had both. huskihl has a grey one. He loves it.

metalcuttr, Screwloose, RCBS and 3 others like this.