In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

tree of heaven wood can you cook and or smoke with that wood

Discussion in 'The Smokehouse' started by gunny100, May 26, 2015.

1. gunny100

gunny100 Banned

can you make a camp fire to cook and or smoke meats with that wood
    tree of heaven

2. Daryl

Daryl

From what I understand, you should be able to smoke food with any type of wood. It's really the water from the smoke vapors that you are looking to get.

A quick search of the tree says the leaves stink so not sure how that will work with the bark.

3. jeff_t

jeff_t

:rolleyes:

StihlHead likes this.
  4. Paul bunion

Paul bunion

Although heavy as can be when wet it is light as a feather dry and basically has the density of balsa. Its not going to coal up at much at all. I would think it would make for a pretty poor smoke wood. And it does smell pretty foul all around, it isn't just the leaves. But then again they smoke with sheep dung in Iceland so who knows, it might be ok.

axeman and Mr A like this.
  5. Mr A

Mr A

really? Smoked lamb on sheep dung? Pass. Tree of heave, also calle dchinese elm is a nuissance around here. Poor firewood. Best use may be a bonfire. I wouldn't cook on it.

CTYank and thistle like this.
  6. thistle

thistle

I wouldn't ruin the meat/veggies with that nasty smelling stuff.Not even a campfire or in a firepit either myself.

axeman and Certified106 like this.
  7. fuelrod

fuelrod

Truly a weed tree! Barely worth the wood in a match to get a burnpile of it going.

8. StihlHead

StihlHead

I would never smoke with TOH, or cottonwood, or any type of conifer. Bad smelling smoke, bad tasting meat, cheese, veggies, etc.

My smoking woods here are (in order of preference) alder, apple/pear, maple, plum/cherry, pecan, and oak. I do not use mesquite as it is too strong a smoke for my likes. I only use oak for beef and lamb, which can take the oak tannins and not be overpowered. Alder and apple are my most common woods to smoke just about anything with and I have them both in wood and pellet form. I love burning alder in my wood stove here, and when I do I crack the door now and then to make the house smell like bacon! Yummy yummy bacon!

Tree of Heaven for smoking with... cough... no way in Hell.

Certified106 likes this.