In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Trailer Suggestions Please

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by bogieb, Sep 3, 2021.

1. bogieb

bogieb

I am thinking about getting a trailer that I can tow behind my Explorer that has the tow package. The main reason I am looking at trailers is to haul pallets of wood pellets - some of which can be 1.2 tons. I'm tired of moving the pellets twice (once loading the bags into the Explorer, then unloading/stacking when I get home). If push came to shove, I could load that 0.2 tons into the Explorer and just place 1 ton in the trailer, although that isn't ideal, it is workable.

The only other things that I would use the trailer for are picking up sheet rock / OSB (4x8), and taking my snowblower and walk behind mower to have them serviced etc. So I don't need anything too big (4 x 8 or slightly bigger would be ideal).

So, I'm looking for suggestions as to what trailers would do the job. I'm assuming that a landscape trailer with the built in ramp/back gate would be frowned upon by the forklift driver trying to load the pellts onto the trailer. But that seems to be the type of trailers that come up in my Google searches. Well, car haulers also come up, but they are way too big for my needs.

And, of course there is always cost to consider. I choose ot to spend big bucks, although I could do up to $2,000. Tractor Supply has a 2,000 trailer for that much, but again, it has that long ramp as the back gate.

Anyone have any suggestions for me that don't involve me trying to make my own?

2. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Pay for delivery. Thats way cheaper than buying (and storing) a trailer.

Yeah, i know... that wasn't an option but I've had trailers all my life. And they are always in the way. Killing grass. Getting flat tires, lights never seem to last long so you're always messing with intermittent light problems.

1.2 tons is right at the limit of a 3000# trailer. You would want a wood floor to slide the pallet in on from the rear. Most of those trailers have a removable ramp. Id just take it off for hauling pellets. That way the forklift operator can load from the rear sliding the skid forward by pushing the skid ahead.

Usually, any trailer over 3000# requires 2 axles, brakes and a yearly inspection.

3. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Look for a 5x10 (much more workable for sheetrock and lumber)

4. chris

chris

6x10 is more common- also means you can get a tractor or other item with a 60" deck on there.

5. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

I agree, bigger is better, but most Harry home-owner types don't have that big of machines that get hauled around.
    My 22' tilt deck is overkill for most people.
    I'd recommend only buying what you "need" ...+10% lol

6. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Tractor supply used to carry a 5x10 3.5 ton axle with tubulars steel which is stronger than angle iron.

before price increases 1,200 ish

You will never get 4x8 into trailer listed as that size..

7. Horkn

Horkn

I use 4x8 trailers and they work. You do need to watch to make sure you can fit actual 4x8 sheets on them though. Some you can, some are just too narrow after the sides and ramp / gate latches are added. Get wood flooring. The steel grate flooring will eat up pellet bags and contents will drop all down the road. The drop down gate ramps are easily removed on all the ones I see.

True, a 5 foot wide trailer will make it easier to load sheets of plywood and sheetrock, but they are also going to take up more room at the house when not using it, and require a little more attentiveness when towing ( corners and the amount of lane they take up) . A 4x8 should be really easy to see behind an explorer. Behind a full size truck though, you can't see a 4' wide trailer. They hide and make backing up a PITA. That's where a 5 or 6' wide trailer is better, along with being able to put a lawn tractor/ ztr with a bigger deck on it.

But I see you want to use it for a push mower, and occasionally sheet rock/ plywood. Snow blower etc. The 4x8 trailer with the drop down ramp / gate will work great. You can also use them for motorcycles;).

My old trailer. Loaded up with sugar maple.
    Screenshot_20210903-104545.png
    Yes, 4x8 plywood fit just fine in it. The gate latches were up a bit and we're narrower than 4' but they were past the 8' mark. So no issues. Now if you were hauling 4x8's often, then those latches would be a bother and told want a 5' wide trailer. The only thing I didn't like was the metal grate flooring, which I could've put a sheet of plywood down to fix. The tailgate being grate was fine otherwise it would be a big gas sucker and you wouldn't be able to see through it;)

8. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

bogieb said part of the reason for a trailer would be so that a forklift could deposit a pallet of pellets in one shot, to paraphrase.
    :salute:
    :D

9. Ohio dave

Ohio dave

That trailer in the picture has stake pockets...sides can easily be removed for forklift loading.

10. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Right, but Horkn doesn’t need to worry about that since he burns wood, not pellets like bogieb.
    :handshake:

11. bogieb

bogieb

I don't have a tractor and only have 1/3 of an acre, so truly unikely I will ever get one

I was thinking that some of the 4x8's would be just a little oversized so that they would fit plywood/sheet rock, but I would have to measure to make sure. I like the stake sides - is that homemade or did you buy that somewhere? I really don't see any on the common market like that. Maybe I'm just not searching under the correct terminology.

If I didn't have to pay $85 for delivery, I'd certainly heed your advise and get a really small trailer just for taking the mower/snowblower in for repars (the mower fits into the back of the Explorer - the Snowblower, not so much ;))

12. bogieb

bogieb

Lots of good advice and things to think about in everyone's posts, so thank you. I was wondering about maneuverability last night, as I was driving home from an errand, and the answer was right there when I logged on this morning.

I also didn't realize about the duel axle, so I appreciate that info too.

I do realize that a 4x8 is probably a pipe dream, so I would have to go to a 5x10, but you never know unless you ask.

TSC's 1 ton hauler is now at 2k, so you just be way behind the times Canadian border VT :p. But, I'm also keepin an eye on CL/FBM for a used one too. It does irritate me that people think they are paying by the word in their ads, so don't put the rating info in there. Nor do they put the ball size in there (I lie, I've seen it on 1 ad out of hundreds).

amateur cutter, Horkn, mat60 and 3 others like this.
  13. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Good idea...you can find some really great deals on used trailers if you are willing to lie in wait for it...plus you might be able to find a nice heavy duty lil homebuilt trailer that was built to fit 4x8 plywood for low $...it happens.

amateur cutter, bogieb, Horkn and 2 others like this.
  14. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

In years past they were 3 or 4 hundred dollars off on Black Friday special as They need to be cleared out of parking lots for snow removal

15. Meche_03

Meche_03

I'd look for a 5x10 with a 5k axle under it to insure you can haul sheet rock and wood pellets. They are out there. Not near as common as 3k and 3.5k single axle trailers.

16. mat60

mat60

I have a 5x10. I like the size and its easy to see when backing up.. Dont use mine much right now but it was great moving a washer and fridge. Would like to put some sides on it someday. The picture is more my old truck than trailer.. 100_0527.JPG

17. Horkn

Horkn

I know. I saw that.

But, won't pellets fall through grates, and not through the plywood floor? ;)

Also, speaking from experience, the wood floor is way nicer than the metal grate. For any use really.

18. Horkn

Horkn

Also, don't mind the mule, load the wagon. Those single axle trailers can easily haul a ton, with no issues.

I've had probably around 4000 lbs in mine. And it's not rated for that. I wouldn't drive too far like that, but 20 miles hasn't ever been an issue

19. Horkn

Horkn

amateur cutter, mat60 and bogieb like this.
  20. bogieb

bogieb

:rofl: :lol:

I was figuring a wood floor wood be better