In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Tractor platform

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by sirbuildalot, Aug 3, 2020.

1. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

I recently made a fork platform to work out of. My tractor will lift to around 9' in height, so I could reach/work on items up to say 16' high. More if I incorporate an adjustable stand inside the box.

My neighbor is re-doing his back deck and gave me a bunch of PT lumber that really is still in good shape. I have very little out of pocket money into this platform. I'll touch more on that later.

Here is the base. 4x4 runners with 5/4x6 decking attached. The platform is 4' x 8'.

[​IMG]

I added some 4x4 posts and cut slots in them with the table saw to accept some feedlot panels. The panels are 4 gauge wire (about 3/16" diameter), and have 8x6 openings. I chose this design so I can still see through the box when pulling up to things to work on, and for less weight. Its hard to see in the pics, but there is a 1/4" transport chain that holds the platform to the forklift frame, and there is also a safety chain across the front of the box with two eye screws embedded in the corner posts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Potential uses include, cutting branches, hanging Christmas lights, changing floodlight bulbs, fixing siding, cutting in vents, power washing house, window work, working on new buildings, etc, etc.

As for price, I paid $23 for the feedlot panel at TSC. I bought one 8' 4x4, and the rest I got for free from my neighbor. My total investment is around $35. I intend to add a few more things like a flip down workbench and tool holders, and maybe a height adjustable slide in platform to stand on to get a little more height.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
  2. cnice_37

cnice_37

Too useful, when can I borrow that and the tractor? I'll even offer to cover the full cost of your build!

My baby 'bota struggles to lift 500#, it would be way to tippy for me to do something similar.

Backwoods Savage likes this.
  3. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

I also have a 5' box. Its more for carrying things than working out of, although I have worked out of it. This new box allows for a lot more room. The 5' box will still see plenty of use transporting firewood around.

[​IMG]