In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Three wood ID requests

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Jonathan Y, Feb 27, 2024.

1. Jonathan Y

Jonathan Y

These are tree service logs so I didn't get a chance to see them standing. I'm really bad at softwood ID.

Wood #1

Needles look like spruce but it is heavier than the white spruce and norway spruce that I have cut on my own property. It also has more defined grain and felt a little harder when cutting. It is literally dripping sap. The outside is covered in dry sap (looks like a glazed donut), sap oozed out each time I cut it, and when I split some I found big pockets of gooey sap. The bark is greenish-brown and I don't think the green is moss (but it could be).

20240227_190229.jpg 20240227_190220.jpg 20240227_185840.jpg 20240227_155738.jpg 20240227_155728.jpg

Wood #2

Another heavy softwood. It felt about as heavy as red maple rounds of the same size. It has nice grain and is fairly dense for a softwood. It's got some sap, but nothing like the other one.

20240227_185644.jpg 20240227_185651.jpg

Wood #3:

Finally, some hardwood. The heartwood is very dark brown with a thin white layer of sap wood. It is moderately heavy and hard. I thought it might be walnut but I gave it the smell test and it didn't smell like walnut. The ratio of heartwood to sap wood also looked different than the black walnut that I've cut in the past. Pretty grain whatever it is.

20240227_192112.jpg 20240227_185708.jpg 20240227_185701.jpg

I would appreciate some ID help. Thank you.

Horkn and buZZsaw BRAD like this.
  2. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

The hardwood looks like Siberian elm to me. The softwoods both look like spruce. Hemlocks have short needles too, but the needles are flattened and aren't prickly.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2024
  3. Jonathan Y

Jonathan Y

I think you're right on the elm. Good call. Didn't smell as bad as American elm at least, but now that you mention it, it did sort of split like elm.

Horkn and ThomH123 like this.
  4. Sandhillbilly

Sandhillbilly

Spruce
    Pine
    Elm
    Is what I’m guessing, If’n I have to narrow it down further, I guessing blue spruce, ponderosa pine ( just cause that’s the only one I’ve dealt with) and Siberian elm

Horkn, buZZsaw BRAD and Jonathan Y like this.
  5. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

The softwoods look like spruce. Messy stuff to cut. Last time i cut some my saw was all gooed up with sap. Miserable to split too. Not sure on the hardwood. If its elm i run away from it.

The Wood Wolverine and Horkn like this.
  6. Jonathan Y

Jonathan Y

Red (slippery) elm is quite decent to cut / split / stack / burn. I'd say on par with Norway maple (one of my favorites) or maybe green ash. Unfortunately, the tree services bring me 10 nasty american elms for every one one red elm. Both are common around here, so maybe dutch elm hits American elm more than red elm.

I don't enjoy anything about the American elm, and I always have way too much of it. It doesn't even stack right. It burns ok if well seasoned and top covered for at least a month or two before burning. But it's hardly worth all the stink and frustration.

Horkn, ThomH123 and buZZsaw BRAD like this.
  7. gwoods71

gwoods71

I vote blue spruce on the first, I just cut one down that was in a horse pasture (horses are rough on trees) an it had the glazed look about it. The few needles shown do have the lighter color to them....

Second is a spruce of some type, maybe doug fir if it is really heavy?

I pass on the third.

Jonathan Y and buZZsaw BRAD like this.
  8. Jonathan Y

Jonathan Y

I think you're right with Blue Spruce on #1. Apart from the sugar (sap) glaze, it has a ton branch nubs that are large in comparison to the size of the trunk. Blue spruce is a slow grower around here, and it tends to get sort of wide and bushy without getting very tall. I imagine the trunk would look like this. I'm glad I didn't have to limb it.

20240228_085240.jpg

I was actually thinking doug fir on #2 because the grain looks like doug fir lumber. I just split some and it is very heavy. It wasn't too sappy but it squirted water when I split it. I don't remember any other softwood squirting water like that. I hope it's doug fir since I've burned scrap lumber and it was better than pine.

Thank you for your help!

buZZsaw BRAD and Horkn like this.
  9. Horkn

Horkn

Yes, I'd say that could be Siberian elm. It alright looked like the chokecherry I was just cutting, but brown and no red color like the chokecherry. The conifers, the sappy one could be balsam fir.

buZZsaw BRAD likes this.
  10. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

You got my attention.. :).

buZZsaw BRAD likes this.
  11. Jonathan Y

Jonathan Y

Good lord, you've collected a series of elm-hating quotes?

Here's an elm love story for you.

The first year I got a big stove in my barn I didn't have enough seasoned wood for the winter. I was lucky to find a lot of dead white ash was my savior. But around December I realized just how much wood it was going to take to heat a 3500 square foot pole barn (with 14' ceiling). I run a business out of my barn, so I'm in here 50+ hours a week and it needs to be warm. In any event, I went scrounging the forest in December and found three or four standing dead elms. They were tall skinny forest trees. Maybe 40' tall but skinny enough that I could fit most of the rounds through the door on my stove. (I didn't have a hydro splitter yet, so splitting was out of the question.) Unfortunately, the wood wasn't terribly dry since dead elms is like a sponge, especially further down the trunk. I cut at least 100 rounds, ranging from 3" diameter up to around 10". I stacked them on a few pallets about 6 feet in front of my stove and I turned on a ceiling fan on high. I let them bake in front of the stove for about two months, and by March they were ready to burn. The half-punky elm got me through the last 4-6 weeks of heating season, so I loved the elm that year.

It is a stinky love story, however, since you can imagine how my barn smelled as at least a cord of elm was baking in front of the stove.

12. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Ill bet you'd fun faster than i would?! :D

The Wood Wolverine likes this.
  13. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

:handshake:
    :rofl: :lol:

buZZsaw BRAD likes this.
  14. BuckeyeFootball

BuckeyeFootball

Spruce