In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

The sawbuck...a tool you're not using that you should be

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by sirbuildalot, Aug 31, 2020.

1. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

The sawbuck is a pretty simple tool, yet it can be one of the most valuable for making firewood.

I've seen many different designs. Typically, they look like a sawhorse approx. 3-4' long with a "V" shaped notch to stack logs into to cut into stove length pieces. Ive also seen cutting tables designed for larger logs, as well as slanted A frame type structures. They all serve the same purpose, get the wood off the ground to a comfortable height and keep your saw out of the dirt.

My design will accommodate 10' long logs, as heavy as I can lift onto the sawbuck. In fact most sawbucks are substantial enough that the limiting factor is what can you lift onto it, not what can it hold. This Red Oak log for instance is 9" diameter x 10' long and weighs about 270 lbs. I have marks every 20" so I know my firewood is all the same uniform length.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Where the sawbuck really shines though is for smaller diameter stuff. Logs in the 2"-5" range. You can stack multiple logs together and quickly make some firewood. I do want to point out though, smaller logs are much more likely to get pulled towards you if caught on the chain. For that reason I recommend designing/incorporating a way to hold the small logs in place while cutting. Personally I put one foot on them while cutting, but that's just what works for me personally. Ideally a drop down "log holder" that pivots on a bolt would be better and safer. I will likely incorporate that into my next sawbuck, or maybe even this one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was from one load of logs on the sawbuck that took under a minute to cut. Cutting those individually on the ground would be not only a longer process, but more stress on your lower back and more difficult.

[​IMG]

My next sawbuck will mount to a 3 point hitch, so I can lower it to the ground and roll larger logs onto it, then raise it to the desired height. Being easily transportable, height adjustable, and being able to accept at a minimum up to a 24" diam log will all be nice improvements over my current design.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
    In the Pines, JDU, Ron T and 14 others like this.
  2. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

Yup. Agreed.

I have an older metal one, that's not very wide. It was given to me by a neighbor that's moving. Works just fine.

And I have the poor man's sawbuck of cinder blocks and crossed saplings.

When I use one for a stack of narrower limbs, I'll often strap them together, before cutting. It removes the potential of a limb wanting to roll with the saw.

3. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I really like yours. Well designed. I usually dont have a lot of skinnies and my MO for the most part is to bring them home bucked. Depending on the score i dont often take wood less than 4".
    Have you seen the jigs they make for cutting a bunch of skinnies at once? Basically a U shaped trough. Stack em in there and there are slots cut for the chain saw bar.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
    In the Pines, Chaz, Midwinter and 4 others like this.
  4. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

Thanks.

I have seen those, pretty clever design. The only "downsides" is the wood would be more difficult to get out, and you have to lift the logs higher.

In the Pines, Slocum, Chaz and 5 others like this.
  5. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Even easier is to not hold the saw level but keep the engine down a bit and id the small stuff wants to come back it just goes against the dogs. Problem solved.

Chaz, Midwinter, mat60 and 3 others like this.
  6. Backwoods Savage

7. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

In the Pines, Chaz, Midwinter and 4 others like this.
  8. Screwloose

Screwloose

IMG_20151212_162721463.jpg
    I have a 3 point saw buck myself.

9. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

How hard would it be to add a length marking system and a cage or platform to catch fallen splits?

10. Chazsbetterhalf

Chazsbetterhalf

Will be waiting for pics of the new one. :popcorn:

11. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

12. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

Until then, here's a thread on my thought of how I'd build it. Several people gave me some good food for thought on the design.

Wooden 3 point hitch sawbuck???

13. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

14. Screwloose

Screwloose

I have marks on the table and I've also got a hanger with a bit of plastic chain hanging down. I've had the logs drop on a conveyor and go into a truck before. But the crazy fast way is just use 3 people. 1st person brings the log to the table and assists until its about 5-6' long at which time he grabs another. 2nd person is doing the cutting. The 3rd guy grabs the log before it cuts through and follows through with a smooth toss in the truck. You don't baby the cut, you go for it and the chips are thick compared to a chainsaw. We figured out that each tooth takes between .055"-.078"(yes, we miked chips) and 72 teeth at 1100 rpm gives a cutting speed that is so fast it's fun.

15. Chazsbetterhalf

Chazsbetterhalf

That's Judy, Dennis wife.

16. Midwinter

Midwinter

unnamed (4).jpg

17. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

Judy only wears shorts though!

18. bushpilot

bushpilot

19. farmer rob

farmer rob

[QUOTE=" Mine came with a spring looking thing for a length gauge of sorts & I plan to try and make a slope or funnel type thing in the spring so the cut off will fall properly into my hay elevator that I use to stack wood.

20. Backwoods Savage

In the Pines and Screwloose like this.