In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Solar Kiln: Do they work and best practices?

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Bigkahuna427, Jul 30, 2024.

1. Bigkahuna427

Bigkahuna427

Hey Guys,
    Way behind and late on my firewood this year. I usually harvest off our own land but due to some health problems I did not put up any wood last summer to burn this year. So, getting wood deliveries this past week and stacking. I am in Maine and fall cooler temps start in September. The wood is almost 100% white ash. Is there any hope I can dry this wood in 30 days with a solar kiln? I was thinking 6x8 frames wrapped with opaque greenhouse fabric for the sides. These would be connected together and topped off with more plastic wrapped frames that would be tipped open for venting. Hard to believe I could dry wood that fast. Is this false hope? Am I wasting my time?

2. JPDavis

JPDavis

All I know is that you're starting with the right hardwood. Ash dries faster than the rest. If you're trying to get it to dry faster, you're going need to split it smaller as well. As far as the solar kilns, I've no idea. Good luck to you brother.

3. Bigkahuna427

Bigkahuna427

Love the ash for firewood….

4. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

At least you have some good firewood. Ash usually starts out around 35% moisture and can dry reasonably quick. As for solar, it can't hurt but I would not expect a miracle.

The big thing is to get it split right away and split it smaller than normal. Now stack it off the ground in a sunny spot but most important here is hopefully you can stack it in the windiest spot you have. When you stack, don't aim for pretty. Stack it a bit loose so the air can move through the stack rather than using the stack as a wind block.

I once was forced to burn ash that was cut just before delivery. I had expected this fellow to deliver dry wood but was wrong. But I paid him after "discussing" my displeasure with him. Then I burned that wood all winter. We did not freeze but were less than happy with a cooler than normal home that winter. Beware those who claim you can cut ash and burn it right away. Shoot, you can do that with cottonwood too, but you will not be happy.

5. yooperdave

yooperdave

There are some older threads on this site about solar kilns. Here is but one of them with a few results of the kiln listed.

(7) Solar kiln build | Page 6 | Firewood Hoarders Club

If you have time for it, search for the solar kiln thread posted by former member @Uncle Auggie

I don't think any of them mention using opaque fabric; rather some clear or as close to clear as possible was the common factor of those solar kilns.

Good luck!

6. JDU

JDU

Was the ash dead and if so how long? I have cut and split then burnt long dead ash in summer, and burnt quite well that winter. Dead stuff will start out with less MC and like other suggested, get it split small right away in ideal sun and wind conditions, should dry quickly. By September might be pushing it but in 3 months or so, maybe not ideal, but should be burnable.

7. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Great posts from everybody so far, Bigkahuna427 - pay heed to these fellers - they know the art of keeping everyone in their lives warm & comfortable.
    :handshake:

Locust Post even offers a formula to determine his wife’s comfort… :cool:

8. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

I also thought there was some solar kiln stuff posted by member Paul bunion with real readouts and data to back it up.

9. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

That's why the 3 year plan makes such good sense...you can miss a year and still be ok.
    Here, this'll get ya started...
    Solar Kiln Firewood Drying
    Solar kiln build
    Nightly Moisture Reabsorption or Redrying Wood Over and Over Again

10. Locust Post

Locust Post

[QUOTE="Eric VW, post: 1551145, member: 2171":yes::yes:]Great posts from everybody so far, Bigkahuna427 - pay heed to these fellers - they know the art of keeping everyone in their lives warm & comfortable.
    :handshake:

Locust Post even offers a formula to determine his wife’s comfort… :cool:[/QUOTE]
    :yes::D

11. Bigkahuna427

Bigkahuna427

It was live ash just a week ago. We do not have the ash borers in our area yet.

12. Ctwoodtick

Ctwoodtick

I have a place in NW Maine and I haven’t seen the EAB there either. In CT, it’s a different story. Use it while you can, terrific wood. Our beech trees in CT are completely sick and dying quickly as well. This is all not good

T.Jeff Veal, JDU, Chvymn99 and 4 others like this.
  13. Bigkahuna427

Bigkahuna427

I am feeling discouraged. It does not sound like this works well enough that it has been accepted as something that works. I might still try but maybe I should just call this next years wood and get some dry stuff.

14. Bigkahuna427

Bigkahuna427

Farmington area here.

15. lukem

lukem

I think your time would be better served splitting it small than building a kiln.

16. Ctwoodtick

Ctwoodtick

Nice. We’re in The Forks- not incredibly far from you.

17. jo191145

jo191145

I never did a solar kiln but I tried a hot box one summer. Trying to see how hot it could get inside,,,,kill bugs and dry. It was a metal gun safe painted flat black. Set in the middle of a field (most sun) in August during a hot spell.
    It didn’t work well at all. There was no top vent to release moisture. Some small holes on the bottom where it was once bolted to a floor. Never got real hot inside as I expected. The moisture stayed inside and after a week it was growing fuzzy mold. And the dang gnats were living inside.

All this just to say you’d be better off as others suggested. Split small, stack loose in the sun and wind. It’s a tried and true method of drying wood. Experiments are things you can do when you have plenty ready to go. Good luck

18. EODDiver

EODDiver

Yep, solar kilns work very well. This is #8 face cord of cherry I have loaded on this rack in the past two months. Have no idea of the temperature, but can't stand to be near the rack in the late afternoon for more than a few minutes.

IMG_0967.jpeg

billb3 and JDU like this.
  19. EODDiver

EODDiver

My local logger has about four face cords of cherry processed, plan on purchasing all of it this weekend.

T.Jeff Veal likes this.
  20. yooperdave

yooperdave

Well, if you can't stand next to it for more than a few minutes, it's obvious that the cherry is giving up all of it's BTU's now and will be totally worthless as firewood in short order. :smoke:

T.Jeff Veal, Barcroftb, JDU and 3 others like this.