In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

SKUNKS!!!

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by mattjm1017, Oct 11, 2013.

1. mattjm1017

mattjm1017

So the company just left and I took the dogs out for one last bathroom break and I hear one of them going crazy then I smell it. Apparently a have a skunk living under my shed and Sam the border collie found it.:mad: Now the house stinks he stinks outside stinks everywhere stinks. Chit!! I gave him a bath with peroxide and baking soda then again with some dog shampoo he seems to smell better but its still there anybody have any ideas to clean him up. Also the smell got into the house we have febreezed everything and opened the windows (the smell outside is gone) hopefully airing out the house will help. I need to figure out how to get Sam cleaned up and get rid of the skunk. Any ideas on a cheap and easy way to get rid of the skunk? I have enough firepower to take care of him but now that its in my backyard Im not sure if thats a good idea.:mad:Rasafrasa@#$%&!(%#@

2. swags

swags Moderator

as for the smell tomato soup bath should get rid of it on the dog. As for the skunk and speaking from experience be careful shooting it. Only a head shot will accomplish your goal of getting rid of it without it spraying everywhere. A method that worked well for me was a live trap not a foot trap. then took a rug and carefully covered the trap and removed the trap and critter. You could just let it go somewhere else or kill it. Drowning works but is rough considering the animal will struggle and die slow.

mattjm1017 and NortheastAl like this.
  3. NortheastAl

NortheastAl

Wash the dog down with tomato juice. The acid cuts the oils in the stink.

Skunks are bad business. My neighbor has one under their shed which is real close to my property line. The other day our dog took off towards it, but I have the yard fenced in. The dog didn't get hit with the spray, but did it ever stink outside. Lasted three days.

mattjm1017 likes this.
  4. NortheastAl

NortheastAl

I like the headshot idea, except might not the scent gland relax afterward and leak all over?

mattjm1017 likes this.
  5. swags

swags Moderator

the ones I head shot we didn't have a problem with them leaking, now the shotgun with bird shot killed it but man that was BAD! sprayed everywhere

NortheastAl and mattjm1017 like this.
  6. NortheastAl

NortheastAl

I don't even want to picture having to clean that up. I think I'd burn it first.

mattjm1017 likes this.
  7. mattjm1017

mattjm1017

Tomato soup doesnt last long around here its my favorite maybe well have that for lunch tomorrow he smell a lot better now after the peroxide bath. Tomorrow Im going to take the Henry outback and see if I can find that sumbitch Ill go for a headshot but will make sure that the windows are closed up tight on the house just in case. If I dont see it do yall know of anything I can put around the shed that might drive it out? Hopefully by the end of the weekend that skunk will be dead or gone.

8. NortheastAl

NortheastAl

Mothballs usually work on most small critters. Shoot em under there with a slingshot.

mattjm1017 likes this.
  9. mattjm1017

mattjm1017

I have a slingshot and lots of mothballs Ill sling some under there tomorrow morning along with some lead.

10. Jack Straw

Jack Straw

Agway has a product you can spread on the ground that repels rodents including skunks.

11. 343amc

343amc

I tried all the remedies I could find to repel skunks. None worked for me. I buried some chicken wire behind the barn and that stopped them from digging in that spot.

A live trap baited with marshmallows usually gets them every time. As far as shooting goes, I use the .22 and go for the head shot, then a couple more for good measure.

mattjm1017 likes this.
  12. mattjm1017

mattjm1017

Im going to go out and spread mothballs around the shed and the woodpile upon closer inspection I think that bastard is living in my woodpile. There are several pieces of wood that have been moved from around the bottom. Its time to go to war:mad:

NortheastAl, 343amc and Jack Straw like this.
  13. swags

swags Moderator

HMM M smoke flavored splits in the stove sound like something different

NortheastAl likes this.
  14. mattjm1017

mattjm1017

Mothballs spread out around the perimeter only problem is theres no sign of anything living around there. I looked under the shed and dont see any type of burrow or digging theres nothing really around the woodpile and I dont see any tracks and its been raining for a week so I would think that I should be able to make out some tracks. Well see what happens tonight.

15. Jack Straw

Jack Straw

If it was living there you would smell it. They stink just walking around.

mattjm1017 likes this.
  16. mattjm1017

mattjm1017

Could it be possible that the sumbeech was just passing through? Everyday for the last week or two the dogs have been going outside and running around the shed and woodpile and thats where they were last night when things went down, but as I said I couldnt find any sign of anything being there. Im going to go out and have a look around here in a little bit and see if I can see anything differant that I might have missed this morning.

17. Jack Straw

Jack Straw

I had one around my wood shed and you could smell him. Make sure that there is nothing around for him to eat.

18. firecracker_77

firecracker_77

Slow mo of stink spray

19. mattjm1017

mattjm1017

I do not like that at all! On the plus side though I dont think the skunk is living in my yard it would appear he was just passing through. But the dog still stinks from his encounter with that chit.

20. CNE deer

CNE deer

Have-a-heart makes a product that you sprinkle arround the shed, trust me from experiance it works. I think if you head shoot it it will spray :(

mattjm1017 likes this.