In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Sawmill tour

Discussion in 'The Sawyer Room' started by DaveGunter, Aug 25, 2024 at 4:22 PM.

1. DaveGunter

DaveGunter

Had a tour of a local family sawmill. I was a few minutes late so I missed some of the background. Fella bought a mill 30 or so years ago for his own family use and gradually developed it into a business. Today it is a dedicated cedar mill, I missed how that transformation happened, with 3-4 employees, himself, 2 sawyers, an edger/attendant and a planer operator.

Original mill
    IMG_3401.jpeg
    IMG_3402.jpeg

New mill. The building this mill is in was built for lumber storage but demand drove him to purchase this mill.
    IMG_3386.jpeg
    IMG_3393.jpeg

IMG_3388.jpeg
    IMG_3389.jpeg
    IMG_3387.jpeg IMG_3386.jpeg IMG_3390.jpeg

Piles of logs both trimmed and tree length all along his drive. This is the on deck pile for the woodmizer mill.
    IMG_3391.jpeg

He has rigged this edger so that it is a one man operation.
    IMG_3394.jpeg
    IMG_3395.jpeg

Big pile of slabs. When the pile gets big enough he has a tub grinder come in. The grindings are either sold as mulch or biomass.
    IMG_3392.jpeg

Planer
    IMG_3396.jpeg
    IMG_3398.jpeg

Sawdust on one side planer shavings on the other. He has a couple of dairy farmers who take the material for bedding I presume.
    IMG_3400.jpeg

metalcuttr, WESF, eatonpcat and 2 others like this.