In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Safety tips? Please share them so we can all go home at the end of the day!

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by MAF143, Jul 4, 2024.

1. MAF143

MAF143

I try to be safe when out cutting wood especially since I'm alone in the woods most of the time. I wear my PPE (most of the time). This tree was dead with some limbs still in it up high and I knew there would be some danger involved. I'm very sensitive to this as one of my wife's classmates who also burned wood never came home after this very thing. I just thought I would post this as a reminder to all of us to be safe.

I had a standing dead Honey Locust that had been girdled a few years ago and it had a very slight lean towards the pasture fence. I was following my SOP of looking the tree over from many angles and decided I could easily wedge it over into the woods no problem. There were no hanging widow makers visible. I made the face cut to put it down in the largest opening available in the woods. I started the felling cut and placed a wedge to ensure no bar pinching. I snuck up on the hinge and got it where I wanted it and started banging with the wedges.

This is where I want to point out the dangers of felling dead trees and even live trees that may have a dead or hanging branch in them or even in a nearby tree.

I wanted the saw off when before the tree started moving so I could hear anything moving or cracking above me. I ended up needing the wedges doubled up to get the tree past the tipping point. It was also pressing against some limbs of other trees up high. As soon as the tree started making cracking noises I used the escape route to exit quickly.

Sure enough, a large limb up high snapped off and came down right where I was standing while cutting this tree. I was standing at the red x in the picture while felling and banging it over but was out of the way and standing by my truck when the limb landed. The limb isn't huge but I'm sure it would have ruined my day if I wasn't following my SOP of getting away from the stump. I've seen drops, tops, and widow makers land at the stump too many times to just stand there and watch the tree go over...

Please all, be safe out there in the woods, in your processing areas, and along the roads if scrounging. Also share any tips you may have to help keep us all safe in our wood related endeavors.

HL limb safety x.jpg

Timberdog, Eckie, Farmchuck and 16 others like this.
  2. Chud

Chud

Something I often say to myself is: If you don’t have to take that risk, why would you?
    Unbalanced crowns can make a big in fall direction.
    Bad things happen when you’re exhausted and using a chainsaw.
    Vines in the tops is dangerous. If you’re felling a tree with vines think about how that could affect your fall and be aware of dead branches coming out of connected trees.
    A small piece of limb from altitude can wreck your melon. Wear a helmet.

Timberdog, Eckie, JD Guy and 9 others like this.
  3. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Smart thinking to shut off saw and listen. Dead trees or limbs can be very hazardous. I have refused to fell some for that reason.

Glad you are safe Monte and thanks for the reminder. Happy 4th :usa:

4. Ronaldo

Ronaldo

Shutting the saw off is a good idea-never considered that. The best thing is like you said---- don't be near the stump and watch.

5. John D

John D

Thank you for the reminder
    Glad everything went well for you

6. EODDiver

EODDiver

Always wear your cutting chaps and helmet no matter how hot it is. If it looks iffy, leave it alone and survive for another tree. I started wearing shinguards a few years ago while spitting big rounds. Nothing about cutting and producing firewood is simple, safe and easy. Another reason why I purchase firewood from my local logger, I know I will return home alive. Five years ago when I first started cutting what loggers left behind I rarely had cell service because of the hilly remote locations. So if something bad happened to me out in the middle of no where, I was on my own. I do have tourniquets and bleeding kits at the handy when I cut alone.

7. Elm-er Fudd

Elm-er Fudd

I’m going to look into some shin guards. I was bucking some rounds dumped by the tree service with my echo 620 about 6 weeks ago. Went through the log I was bucking and the chain touched about a 4” round underneath which my shin saved from putting a big dent in the door of my truck. Still have a yellow, blue, green and black spot just under my right knee to remind me to pay attention. I’ve had that happen before, but never that bad. I quit for the day after that one. I think it’s probably a good thing I had my chaps on or I may have needed a few stitches. The way it was it just barely broke the skin…I thought it broke my leg at first. Can’t ever be too careful with chainsaws, splitters, and trees. Remember, gravity always wins and it seems like gravity has gotten a lot stronger over the last 10 years.

8. MAF143

MAF143

Almost all of my cutting is on my own property. Felling is something I need to do here. I try to stay as safe as possible. Many times when felling I purposely set the wedge behind the saw and cut to the hinge I want. Then I shut the saw off and wedge the tree over so I can hear anything and get out of there quickly. If the tree is leaning the way I'm wanting it to go I do a plunge cut, set the hinge then cut the trigger and leave so I can be out of there when it is going over.

9. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Can never be too safe. Glad that didn't ruin your day.
    I'm always wearing full wrap chaps when cutting (not always milling though) and a while back I bought a helmet. Felling anything can be dangerous for reasons you pictured so I wear it no matter how hot or uncomfortable it can be. I also got in the habit of turning off the saw when wedging them over.

brenndatomu, MikeInMa, John D and 3 others like this.
  10. Biddleman

Biddleman

Besides the dangers of felling trees, I always feel it can be so easy to sprain or break an ankle walking around logs or in the woods, or have a log roll on you.

But I may be in the minority with this.

brenndatomu, MikeInMa, John D and 3 others like this.
  11. MAF143

MAF143

I just bought new boots because my old ones were getting worn with some of the stitching in the heel / ankle area starting to come loose. Since I'm not nearly as nimble and light on my feet as I was 40 years ago I have to be very careful out in the woods and in my processing areas. Twisted or sprained ankles are no joke and can put you out of commission for way more time than I can afford to be hobbling around.

Chud, brenndatomu, Farmchuck and 6 others like this.
  12. wood and coal burner

wood and coal burner

I always wear steel toed work boots when cutting or splitting wood. Have dropped rounds, splits and other pieces enough to be thankful I wear them. Not the most comfortable boots and they can get cold in the winter but I would rather not break toe or a foot. I also always wear a hard hat with a mesh face shield and ear protectors.

Chud, brenndatomu, Biddleman and 4 others like this.
  13. MAF143

MAF143

Most of the shops around here no longer keep any steel toe boots in stock and I can't buy a boot without trying it on and walking around in them for a few minutes. The last several pairs I've had are the composite toe which is ok to keep from getting smashed. The composite toe cap is no match for a chainsaw though and barely slow down a chain so I'm very careful and focus on staying aware of the bar and chain location at all times.

14. BC Doug Fir

BC Doug Fir

0983561C-C191-40C4-BF5E-A892C4823204.jpeg When you shut off your saw one ear muff has to be lifted as well. My kid is almost finished his BC falling course. I forgot how much I forgot about falling as I was doing it in the 80s as a kid. It’s big time serious stuff nowadays. 50 $ large to get ticketed.

15. billb3

billb3

Take your time and know your limits works for me.

John D, MAF143 and Timberdog like this.