In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Roll on Bedliner (Hurculiner)

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by Well Seasoned, Sep 1, 2014.

1. Well Seasoned

Well Seasoned Administrator

I've researched this product, saw good reviews, will save myself $ 400 bucks doing it myself as apposed to having someone spraying it in. Anyone here use this product and would like to give their 2 cents? Thanks!

http://www.herculiner.com/index.php

Pallet Pete likes this.
  2. MasterMech

MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

I have done some DIY work with truck bedliner but never actually lined the bed of a truck with the stuff. I have had 3 trucks with professionally applied spray-in liners and my next one will probably have it done that way too. Why? Because the pro stuff is 1/8"-1/4" thick (more like a dense foam) and has some shock absorbency to it which the roll ons do not. Every DIY bedliner product I've come across goes on like paint. And is paper thin in comparison. So if your goal is to apply a tough coating for rust prevention and anti-skid properties, the roll-on is a good option. If you want the dent resistance and sound deadening that come with the spray-on, you're gonna have to pony up.

With either method, the prep work is the majority of the work/time. Be prepared to sand, sand, and sand some more.

3. Well Seasoned

Thanks........

4. basod

basod

I'm still debating about spray-on or a bedliner for my new truck.
    Have you had any quotes for spray-on yet?

Well Seasoned likes this.
  5. Well Seasoned

I can get a reasonable deal..... $100 bucks off, because a friends gf's family owns a place that does lineX. But.... the drive (2 vehicles) is a bit far, and im not sure I want to fork over the $ 450........I spent a chit ton of money on the house and grounds this year, and theres ammo to buy....;)

bigbarf48 and basod like this.
  6. MasterMech

Do it. That's a killer deal on one of the best spray-ins. $600+ is the going rate around here.

Well Seasoned and GrJfer like this.
  7. mdavlee

mdavlee

I've seen the herculiner stuff and unless you apply about 3-4 times more than one can you're not going to get good results.

8. Well Seasoned

Ok, twist my arm..... ill probably go with lineX. Ill probably wait until spring though......:smoke:

Chvymn99 likes this.
  9. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

WS, you'll be ahead of the game buying it Line-x. I've had in my last 3 trucks, great stuff...I did the competitor to Herculiner on my CJ-7 (body and frame), it was decent for what it was. But it doesn't provide near the protection line-x does.

Well Seasoned and mdavlee like this.
  10. MasterMech

I use the DIY stuff for all kinds of things. Sprayed the lid of my parts washer to make it into a nice light duty table.

Well Seasoned and Chvymn99 like this.
  11. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Moderator

O brother WS.... It starts out like this :dex: Then goes into this:picard: Then this :headbang:Then this:rootintootin: Then this :drunk:Then you finish and go that was worth it! :dancer::cheers:

Seriously though :rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol: It's not that bad at all the sanding drove me insane! I ended up using 300 grit on a palm sander by the end and it worked out very well. Just be sure to blow the bed out really good then wipe it down with a damp cloth. After that degrease the snot out of it.... Your good to go then. Get a couple cans of spray liner if you can some areas you just can't get at by hand. I also put double the recommended amount on and am glad I did! It's really stretching it to get the whole bed out of the kit.

12. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Moderator

eatonpcat and Well Seasoned like this.
  13. Blue Vomit

Blue Vomit

Just got line x a few months ago.
    Paid 450 here.

14. Well Seasoned

Great price!

15. nate

nate Banned

After owning a truck with a flatbed I doubt I'll own a truck with a beer can thin bed again.

The roll on stuff is "meh" at best compared to real bed liner like Speed Luner, Line Ex, etc.

16. Razo

Razo

I realize I'm a little late to the party here but I figure I would offer my 2 cents in case anyone else finds this thread like I did. Let me start by saying that Line-Ex is a fantastic product, probably the best bedliner you can get, however, as was mentioned, it doesn't come cheap.

As far as DIY bedliner goes, I've been around the block with a few of them, Rustoleum and Herculiner in particular. They are good for what they are however they leave a lot to be desired and they definately do not compare to line-ex.

I came across this product and fell in love with it:
    http://www.monstaliner.com/

I thought it was a gimick at first but after using it once, I back it 100%. I have sprayed 2 truck beds and the full exterior of a Jeep - all for friends of mine and they were thrilled with the results. This product doesn't have crumb rubber or sand it in like some of the others out there, it gets its texture from its extremely thick body, almost paste-like and a special roller they give that adds the texture. But if you have access to an air compressor, do yourself a favor and get an undercoating gun like this and spray it on. Since it is so thick you can get some very nice fleck-like texture that I personally love the look of.

Like everyone else mentioned, prep work is key, take your truck to the car wash and start with some high pressure soap and a very thorough high pressure rinse. Let that dry for a few days and then start your prep work. These scotch brite style scuffing pads by far work the best with minimal effort compared to sand paper:
    upload_2014-9-30_16-13-20.png

After that blow it off with an air compressor to get most of the sanding dust off (wear a dust mask)
    Then give it a generous wipe with a rag dampened with M.E.K. solvent. This stuff is no joke and very potent, do this outside or in a well ventilated area
    upload_2014-9-30_16-14-50.png

after that you are ready to go, no primer needed. I like that the monstaliner is a 2 part product with a base and activator. This type of product by nature is always going to produce a harder, more durable finish than anything that is 1 part, ready mixed. You mix it up, load some in the undercoating gun, and spray away. I like to get close and put a nice thick coat on as the first coat, it will look wavy without a lot of texture but the first coat is just to build up material. Don't worry about it running, its so thick that it will not run. After that is the fun part, you leave that first coat tack up or "flash" which only takes about 10 or 15 minutes. Then you stand back (I'm talking like 4 feet) and just let the product rain down on the surface your painting. This is what produces the texture. Then clean up everything and any overspray with MEK. It actually builds up pretty thick, much much thicker than any other bedliner product I've used. not quite as thick as Line-Ex, but thick none the less.

The cool thing is that monstaliner pulls moisture from the air to dry so spraying on a humid day will acutally speed up drying time. Over the course of the next week, you can even mist it with water form the hose to help cure it (as weird as that sounds)

Forgot to mention, they actually offer it in a pretty wide array of colors too, so you can accent or contrast your factory paint if you choose.

Here are some pics of one of the truck beds and the Jeep. I'm in no way affiliated with this company i"m just really passionate about it because it is an affordable alternative, made in the USA, and is a quality product. Both were done with a spray gun and are a color called "Pyroclastic" a dark gray.

Had a little product left over on one of the jobs and didn't want to waste it so I sprayed my floor jack quick.

Attached Files:

17. Scols

Scols

Has anyone heard of something called phillyclad. Ive seen it sprayed on the decks of lobsterboats and it looks exactly line x etc. I know that it wasn't invented for boats but it seems to hold up very well to abrasion as long as the deck is prepped properly

18. savemoney

savemoney

I don't work with my truck like you guys do. I put in a truck bed mat from a local auto supply outlet. It is thick. Nothing slides around and it muffles a lot of sound from tossing stuff in. Under $100 and an instant fix.

19. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Moderator

I can say with 100% backing that I love Magnet Paints too.... I use chassis saver on everything rusty and it's completely bullet proof.... I have done 3 truck frames and it holds up forever. I'm glad to see they have a bed liner too I will probably try that next time.

20. Well Seasoned

Awesome post bro!

MasterMech and Pallet Pete like this.