In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Residential Solar

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by yooperdave, Jul 9, 2022.

1. yooperdave

yooperdave

Got my bid recently.

$50,000 for a system with battery storage.

$36,000 for non-battery system.

I haven't had an elec bill over 100 per month yet, so lets see.......The cheapest payback at this rate will be 30 years! Or over 41 years for the system with batteries.

Of course, this isn't allowing for any increases in the monthly bill but even if that monthly doubled, it would still be at least 15 years for payback!

[​IMG]

2. Eckie

Eckie

Wow..... What about all those adds I see on phone for "free solar panels"?

I've heard that a few options around here who got into solar, and have it where they can feed back to the grid....either their rate went up, or they charged them a fee for feeding the grid. There was some sort of 'wth' going on with it......

3. cnice_37

cnice_37

For us there was a 30% federal rebate and the state credits where break even was at the 6yr mark.

John D, savemoney, RGrant and 13 others like this.
  4. bogieb

bogieb

They certainly aren't cheap. I would like some specifics just to understand how our quotes differ. How many kwhs are you trying to produce per year? What is the Array Output (DC watts). How many panels? How much is the production offset?

I'm assuming the later the party you are, the higher the cost. My average electric bill is right at $100/month and I am trying to replace about 5000 kwh. Ignore the 4872 in the snip below - that figure is from my March bill so doesn't account for my April / May usage of the mini split for heat. I also wanted to make sure I have enough for future endeavors so went for 30% over (6,656). Additionally, I have shade on both the east and south sides, so the array has to be oversized at 8k.

solar array size.JPG

solar array info.JPG

solar array info.JPG

I did not go for a battery at this time. Perhaps I will do so down the road.

I started getting bids in April, but the company I really wanted (been around for teens of years instead of 1-3 years, plus has a really good customer rating) couldn't get out here until early May to do the analysis. I signed the contract on 5/12. The Engineer created his roof report on 5/18 (no modifications needed). My town approved the permit on 6/1 and Eversource finally gave their approval, with no stipulations for extra work at the end of June.

So now I wait for the project to be scheduled. They told me in advance it could take as many as 20 weeks total between contract signing and install - especially since they have to wait for town and utility approval. Guaranteed install by 8/30/22

I can only assume that those that got bids in lat May or June are charged higher prices for materials - but I don't know that for a fact.

John D, jtakeman, savemoney and 6 others like this.
  5. bogieb

bogieb

Each state has its own rules for net metering. NH, from what I understand has a pretty good consumer friendly agreement in place - and that agreement is in force until 2044. Those that went solar in 2017 have the best deal, but not to bad for those of us later. The monetary credit (last line) is a carry forward forever. Sometime n spring (March?), if the credit is over $100, the utility will offer the cho8ce of getting a check or keeping it as credit.

NH State solar net metering.JPG

John D, jtakeman, savemoney and 4 others like this.
  6. bogieb

bogieb

Fed credit isn't quite so much now, but is still pretty hefty. Unfortunately, NH has not really funded the state incentive this year - which is okay by me as they are trying to fund other, more urgent needs.

7. jrider

jrider

I
    I just signed a solar contract back in early May for installation some time late this month. The federal tax credit is currently at 26% so yes, not quite 30% but still pretty good. Here in NJ, I will also receive an $1800 tax credit for the next 15 years.

John D, jtakeman, RGrant and 7 others like this.
  8. corncob

corncob

I'll never go solar. One, I'm too old to ever realize a ROI on any installation and two, my shop and tractor shop is on a separate meter (3 phase) and all the power consumption I have is a tax write off as an operating expense. House is on it's own meter.

Besides, I just installed a bio mass stove in the shop last spring.

John D, Rich L, bogieb and 1 other person like this.
  9. DaveGunter

DaveGunter

Maybe they saw your Trump flag and gave you the “special” price. I’m only half joking, and if true would actually be quite sad. First hand knowledge of solar installers around here…they are 10 months out, so they can pick and choose.

Just think of all the jobs created, income generated, sales tax paid, small business developed. WAG but I bet it’s more than “paid” for all of the tax credits given.

Maybe you’d like to post ALL the numbers and someone would take a look and let you know if or where you’re being gouged or get a second quote (maybe take the Trump flag down first)

bogieb, Wishlist and corncob like this.
  10. DaveGunter

DaveGunter

Congrats on the upcoming install, it sounds like you’ve done your homework;).

bogieb likes this.
  11. corncob

corncob

Dave probably don't display a Trump flag, probably like me.

JimBear, Nitrodave and yooperdave like this.
  12. Creekin

Creekin

I priced out a system a few years ago for the shop roof, i don't remember exact price but in the 50-60k range

With current electric bills i have it would be about 20 years or so for roi.
    Thats also assuming no degradation of the panels and system works trouble free
    I would consider a system at some point but possibly a self install with battery bank for feeding a separate panel for the boiler, pumps and some lights in an emergency situation

bogieb, eatonpcat and yooperdave like this.
  13. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

Lets keep the politics out of this... otherwise this thread will be locked...

14. Ohio dave

Ohio dave

Panels are only a small part of costs. Power inverters, charge controllers, labor are just a few other costs. They also are counting tax credits in as part of the "free" panels. How muchmore does it cost in the U.P. where you get like 30 minutes of sun in December?

15. Eckie

Eckie

Well, we see who brought that up.....

16. billb3

billb3

What kind of system ?
    Roof mount?
    Roof mount with excellent exposure ?
    Roof mount with ineffective exposure ?
    Yard mount ?
    Multi-axis Tracking ?

Net metering still available ?

Purchase/lease/rent ?

Have the right people taken the bait ?

savemoney, brenndatomu and yooperdave like this.
  17. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

bogieb i am not anti solar;
    Did you ask theses ?s I see with your contract
    Panels are guaranteed by Canadian solar?
    Inverters by Empath.. how strong are those companies? Guarantee is worthless if companies goes bankrupt.
    Solution is if they do your loan payment stops.

I am too conservative to drop 20k on an investment with a Pay back period of 12 years.
    I WILL not put lien on my house without guarantee

Yes I got burned once.. when I built on bad concrete; concrete co went bankrupt.. life was not fun .. I learned..

I know you work hard often more 1 job live frugally and so on

those are ? I would have

savemoney, FarmerJ, bogieb and 3 others like this.
  18. Ohio dave

Ohio dave

Slight nod to politics. I was kind of hoping with democrats in control of the presidentcy and both houses there would be new better incentives to go solar, at least in the US.. no such luck yet.

savemoney and Horkn like this.
  19. yooperdave

yooperdave

No flags, no bumper stickers, no banners...nothing of the sort. Never have done that and never will.

But.........it does sound like someone else is flying the flag! :handshake: :rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol:

20. yooperdave

yooperdave

I'm trying brother, I'm trying!

Oh wait....that wasn't me. :whistle:

Time for a PM?