In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Refinishing a tiger maple table top

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by The Wood Wolverine, Jul 18, 2024 at 3:25 PM.

1. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Made this hall table probably 20 years ago. Curly maple top w/ a walnut base. Wife sat plants on it and they leaked, unnoticed, for a while. :headbang:

IMG_0526.jpeg
    Started with 100 grit sandpaper, worked through to 150. Removed 90% of the damage. There was some deep discoloration I didn’t feel like hogging out. You can see the lighter spots. Old finish wanted to clog the paper and was a pita.

IMG_0527.jpeg

At this point I applied the first round of honey amber aniline dye.
    IMG_0528.jpeg

Then sanded again with 150.
    IMG_0529.jpeg

Aniline dye is a water base “stain”. Just wipe on w/ a lint free rag. Next couple layers I put it on “thick”, then sanded w/ 220. What this does is, allows the areas of curly grain that are oriented in a way to easily suck up dye, to do that. Then the areas that are not, the sanding removes the surface dye. Repeated application makes the curly figure stand out more because the dye penetrated deeper in the differently oriented grain. o_O:wacky: Hope that made sense.

IMG_0530.jpeg IMG_0531.jpeg IMG_0532.jpeg IMG_0533.jpeg IMG_0534.jpeg IMG_0535.jpeg IMG_0536.jpeg

Woodwidow and JD Guy like this.
  2. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Too many pics to keep situated in one post. Final sanding.
    IMG_0537.jpeg

Heavy application of last coat.
    IMG_0538.jpeg IMG_0539.jpeg

Here shows air drying.
    IMG_0540.jpeg
    Completely dry.
    IMG_0541.jpeg

Then I used 000 steel wool.
    IMG_0542.jpeg

Moved to basement for finish coats.
    IMG_0544.jpeg

Poured copious amounts of oil on and rubbed it in w/ a cloth till it quit absorbing.
    IMG_0543.jpeg

Then buffed excess. Directions say 24hrs between coats. I’ll probably do 3, then wax.
    IMG_0545.jpeg

3. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

Looks great Jason, Nice work!

I see Roscoe was helping!

The Wood Wolverine likes this.
  4. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Always. You can see ears up, he’s guarding/keeping me safe. :cool: Must be a bird where he’s looking. Nothing is safe in the yard except people. There’s a couple rabbits he chases on the regular. Usually 2 laps around the wood pile every time he is let out.

5. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    Wow! Nice restoration job. Saucers under any plant pots in the future? Or not plant pots ever!

The Wood Wolverine likes this.
  6. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Thanks. We’ve moved it from the dining room window to our living room. It now holds 4 crates full of vinyl records. I don’t think it will be permanent however because we plan a dining & living rooms remodel as soon as I get back to work. I’ll more than likely build a rack to store them when that happens. I promise not another plant will leak on it, ever. :picard: