In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Quitting Smoking

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by buZZsaw BRAD, Nov 22, 2021.

1. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Ms. buZZsaw just quit after 45 years of light smoking (2 packs a week) She slowly weened herself off of them and had last smoke Friday. Ive been tiptoeing, cringing and hiding under the bed since.
    Any tips for me to help her and survive this, besides going cutting which i normally do anyhow.

2. Knothead

Knothead

I smoked during my time in the service and a few years after I was discharged. I quit "Cold Turkey" and never looked back. If your wife can distance herself from other smokers, and normal routine events that trigger her to light up a cigarette.... these small things will help on the transition to being a non-smoker. The hardest thing for me was not being able to light up a cigarette after a meal or while I was drinking coffee. Good luck to Ms. buZZsaw

[​IMG]

3. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

Best of luck to her!!

4. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

She's gotta "want" to quit. And honestly, cold turkey is probably the best way.
    20 years ago, i said "this is stupid, i quit"

You also hafta break the routine. Morning coffee with smoke, with a beer, whatever, you gotta try to forget that old habit.

Unfortunately, if you still smoke a little...you're still a smoker.

5. Jack Straw

Jack Straw

Tell her whenever she wants a smoke you 2 have to make love! :rofl: :lol::thumbs:

6. Ron T

Ron T

Copenhagen :yes:

T.Jeff Veal, B.Brown, mat60 and 5 others like this.
  7. yooperdave

yooperdave

:rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol: :handshake:

8. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

I smoked for 10 years. It took plenty of attempts and failures before I was finally able to kick it for good. First, what *didn’t* work for me: weening off. Cold turkey was the best. Nicorette gum: burned my throat and after a couple weeks I relapsed. The patch: worked okay for a few weeks, followed the instructions about getting the right dose and all that, in short order I was smoking while wearing a patch. Chewing tobacco: although a nice head rush, a terrible substitute for cigarettes. Cigars: same thing.
    What worked for me: Really, really wanting to quit for several reasons. I picked a day to stop and stuck to it. The first two weeks were miserable. Deep almost suicidal depression, up all night. (Sorry, just sharing how bad it was for ME. Your GF may have it easier) It helped to do the oral fixation thing. I chewed a lot of gum. Ate peppermints like my life depended on it. A bag of sunflower seeds every couple days. Drank water constantly and took a lot of walks. Every lunch break. Every morning. Right after dinner at night when I wanted a cigarette the most. At about the 3 week mark I’d say I was over the hump. I’d get cravings here and there afterwards, but they didn’t overpower me. I just kept going back to the basics. Exercise. Move a muscle, change a thought. At the 6 month mark I was home free and felt liberated. As far as for you... hang in there! It’s a bumpy ride and try not to take any outbursts personally. In a way she’s grieving the loss of a longtime emotional crutch, on top of the physical withdrawal. It’s a lot for her and everyone around her to bear. Best of luck to you both. If I can quit, anybody can. :salute:

T.Jeff Veal, Eckie, Slocum and 8 others like this.
  9. J bird

J bird

It’s really really really really hard for one of you to smoke and the other one not. If you do it together it will be easier for both of you. But it’s still going to be hard. Nothing worth doing comes easy. Just keep going one minute at a time. You will get there.

10. Softwood

Softwood

Tell her all that money she'll be saving from not buying smokes, she can put towards a new saw for you!!

11. tree killer

tree killer

Never smoked but chewed for 30 years. Tried a few times to quit but didn’t really desire to. Took the chantix route a couple years ago and it worked for me. Gives you some really f’ed up dreams but they go away. I think I was on it 4 or 5 months. Basically makes you not want the nicotine. Take it for a while before you quit, the first week was rough but not horrible.

12. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

13. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I only smoke after we do. I havent had a cigarette in years!
    Hell has a better chance of freezing over!

Eckie, metalcuttr, Earl764 and 12 others like this.
  14. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

o_O WIFE is a four letter word. If we were married we'd be divorced by now. Its a love/hate relationship...i love her, she hates me!

15. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I was thinking about spending some time at WeldrDave's place camping out! :camping: Dunno if there's enough dry wood though.

16. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

That would go over real well, but i like the way you think! So if i buy a shiny new saw for my self Christmas gift ill tell her it was from all the money ive saved by not smoking!

17. Creekin

Creekin

I've smoked for 20ish years and tried numerous times to quit, but man its not easy!!! Tried patches, cold turkey, mints, champix ( REALLY REALLY, crazy dreams!!!!)
    Stopped taking it as I was getting very bad thoughts/depression

Was at 2 packs a day, but since brought down to 1

18. Creekin

Creekin

My dad quit about 20 years ago, we gave him lots of space when small things went sideways

I actually quit for a few months and what irritated me is when people kept mentioning it, puts a bit too much pressure on a person that is ready to snap already

Eckie, metalcuttr, Slocum and 6 others like this.
  19. yooperdave

yooperdave

Smoked cigs while in the military, go figure. Got out and quit smoking over the next few months (2-3). A few years later, a guy I was working with offered me one and said, "don't you miss it?" I dunno, le me try....lit it up and then after a puff or two threw it out. You should've seen his eyes!

But, I have also dabbled into cigars and pipes over the last few years. Nothing serious as I can go weeks and even months without one. I just find it relaxing. Kinda like having a drink of rum or scotch. No dependency on them.

But, try quitting FHC and now you're walking on thin ice mister! :mad:

20. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

If i did that she'd be ecstatic...for her anyway. Plus id REALLY miss you guys