In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Pellet stove exhaust temps?

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by BrianK, Jan 8, 2014.

1. BrianK

BrianK

I'm curious what the max exhaust temps are on a pellet stove? Are there specs on 3" pellet stove pipes?

Here's the reason I ask. The manufacturer of the little secondary air wood stove with the 12"x12"x12" firebox mentioned in this thread, New stove company: Gray Stove Works' & their Mini 12 CT stove is recommending the use of it.

Will 3" pellet stove double wall vent pipe be able to handle the temps of a little secondary air stove like this? I don't think they are designed for wood stove exhaust temps.

2. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

Looks like he was using Pellet Vent Pro. PVP is rated for continuous use flue temperaftures up to 570°F.

3. BrianK

BrianK

Thanks.

I wonder what his stove max exhaust temps would be. According to his website:

The key to the high performance of the MINI 12 CT is its tightly controlled airflow and thermal mass. Measuring only 12 x 12 x 12 inches (box), The MINI 12 CT burns small pieces of wood and gets up to 1200 degrees Fahrenheit. This high heat burns the gasses trapped in the smoke. (methane, hydrogen and carbon monoxide also known as "wood gas")
    I hope the guy succeeds business wise. I also hope he has done his homework regarding his exhaust temps and how much the pellet vent pipe can handle.

4. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

I'd be worried if it gets up to 1200°F. :eek:

I'd contact them if you are interested in the stove. Maybe they are using another pipe or know of another that can handle the 1200°F temps.

slvrblkk likes this.
  5. NortheastAl

NortheastAl

I would definitely have an issue with using pellet stove venting if there are going to be any 45° or 90° bends in it. On a straight run up I think it probably works. A pellet stove eats up all the heat by baffles and efficient heat exchangers dependent upon fans to move the heat out of the stove and into the room.

I think it is a great stove. The concept of a well built small stove is appealing. I also like the stand that comes with it.

Might be worth waiting for the UL certification to happen to see if the flue will wind up being the pellet stove vent.

6. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

I would venture to say most stoves are in the 200* (+ or - depending on heat setting).

I know my wood eater easily exceeds 600* on every burn (flue gas temp, as measured by probe in double wall).

I love the idea of this little stove. Beautiful burn and great technology tucked inside of a small package. But Pellet vent is not a good choice in my opinion.

Maybe he should also make his own type of "Class A" 3" or 4" venting. That way it's a double whammy. They buy the stove and venting from the same Manuf?

7. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear

ICC Excel has this on their site:

Allowable Flue Gas Temperatures
    Max Continuous 300°C (572°F)

Tested To 927°C (1700 °F)

I'd expect the seals to start disintegrating above 600 °F.

On a pellet stove the thermal on the combustion blower will shut it down before the 500°F mark.

The wood fire in both devices (pellet and slab wood) can get above 2000°F

8. BrianK

BrianK

Great, thanks Smokey.

Lloyd responded to my email this morning so I just wrote back to him and asked him about this:

jtakeman likes this.