In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Our Wood Yard Adventures

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Krackle_959, Sep 21, 2024.

1. Krackle_959

Krackle_959

Our wood yard has been at the top of the hill at the edge of our field project for 3 yrs now. It was also the landing site for when we had the property logged. It has been on the way back burner on list of things to deal with as the field and orchard project have taken priority. I have thought of it as an eyesore and unorganized since its creation. I’ve been hauling downed tree logs up there and stacking throughout the year and just dealing with them when I had time. Piles of split firewood everywhere, and sometimes even in the way. We had been stacking 6 cord on pallets down by the house, but a barn project has been slated for that area. We also switched to ibc totes this past spring, which makes things easier as my wife hates stacking wood, but loves the heat.

There’s also two big stacks of red oak logs that the loggers left as they had bends, crotches, or heart rot in them, roughly 15 cords. I’ve had them up on dunnage for 2 years now, and really need to get them cut up and split. There is also a big pile of red oak cut offs, that are all odd sizes to deal with at some point, and a 30 cy pile of wood chips.

I spent some time planning things out and thinking about this coming winter. Figured out I wanted to have 3 rows of totes 6 deep on dunnage in a newly smoothed up area. That meant I needed dunnage, so not wanting to waste much, I set out and yarded out some small leaning poplar trees in one corner of the field. I have been ignoring this corner, as you can’t see it from the main field due to elevation change, and it’s been a mess of leaning and downed trees since last springs storms.

This picture is deceiving as there’s 8-9 leaning poplars in that area behind the saplings.
    IMG_5185.jpeg

After spending a few hours winching logs in 80 degree weather and high humidity. They are 16’ and 24’ lengths, I like to cut in multiples of 8 for hauling and calculating quantity.
    IMG_5186.jpeg IMG_5187.jpeg

Skier76, Cash Larue, billb3 and 17 others like this.
  2. Krackle_959

Krackle_959

The next afternoon after running errands I got more logs winched out of the area. Not completely done yet, but I need to take the mini excavator down there and do some stumping to get closer, as I’m maxed out on length of cable at 185’.

There’s a couple 12’ lengths in there as some had to be cut shorter to swing around the trees to get winched out.
    IMG_5189.jpeg

The not dunnage pile of poplar logs that will become shoulder season firewood. There’s already a 3 cord pile of poplar at the other end of the wood yard all split.
    IMG_5190.jpeg IMG_5191.jpeg

The 18 totes on dunnage for this seasons firewood. I’ve got room for another 6 totes deep behind these, but don’t have the totes yet. I’m happy with the way it’s coming together as well.
    IMG_5192.jpeg

I’ve got the plastic pallets and t-posts that I staked 6 cord on for the last couple years and covered with truckers tarps. Planning on making a 3 cord stack of red oak, a 3 cord stack of mixed hardwood, and then however big of a stack I need to make one to hold all of the poplar. I can’t see letting it rot in the woods, and what’s down isn’t big enough for lumber, so firewood it is.

walt, Ashwatcher, Skier76 and 17 others like this.
  3. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Looks nice a nice piece of property there.

Yes trying to figure out the logistics of firewooding can be stressful at times. Looks like you thought it out well and it will work well for you. I love the IBC totes off the ground. Cant say I've seen that before.

4. Hinerman

Hinerman

WOW, nice set up...

5. Krackle_959

Krackle_959

Thanks! It will be a slowly evolving area as time goes on. I’ll see how this works for this winter and adjust from there.
    As for the totes off the ground, a friend mentioned them freezing into his lawn area and having issues getting them out. So I figured I had the trees, and why not use them and see how it goes.

6. Krackle_959

Krackle_959

Had to clean out some saplings and do some stumping to reposition the tractor to winch out the tops without damaging too many trees. Made a quick and dirty access loop with the mini ex around the red oak that will remain, and will come back later this fall and finish that area off, grade it and seed it.
    IMG_5196.jpeg
    Spent an hour winching out a few remaining logs and 5 tops of the poplars.
    IMG_5197.jpeg IMG_5198.jpeg
    Got the cut up to 8’ lengths and moved to the wood yard. In talking to a buddy over the weekend he wants a good amount of the poplar logs to make charcoal with. Apparently it’s really good for making black powder, who knew. I just didn’t want to waste the wood, and see it rot.

7. Krackle_959

Krackle_959

Spent sometime stacking red oak today. Setup a pallet rack that’s 24’ long, 4’ wide, and I’m stacking 5.5’ high. That gives me about 4 cord per stack. Need to setup another rack to stack poplar on as well, as I keep poplar and red oak separate from all the other wood I cut.
    IMG_5209.jpeg IMG_5208.jpeg

8. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

9. Krackle_959

Krackle_959

Got all of the red oak stacked, and moved the last pile of red oak logs from yard trees we took down. Just need to get them cut up, split and stacked before winter. Also helped the wife mulch the raspberries we transplanted into rows.
    IMG_5210.jpeg

Skier76, Woodwidow, ole and 10 others like this.
  10. Cash Larue

Cash Larue

Nice process! Nice John Deere too!

11. Krackle_959

Krackle_959

Thanks, I’m working on getting this area cleaned up and organized. This area was the landing when we had our property logged, and the pile behind the red oak is loam mixed with small sticks. The pile to the right is a massive brush/log pile, and there’s a stump pile behind that, all from this little acre of ground.
    The tractor is a great tool/toy for our property, had it 4 yrs now. It’s hauled a lot of brush, stumps, and debris out of our 10 acre field project. It’s small enough to fit in the garage, and to be nimble out in the woods.

Skier76, eatonpcat and buZZsaw BRAD like this.
  12. Skier76

Skier76

Great set up!

buZZsaw BRAD likes this.