In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

For Sale Nielsen chain grinder

Discussion in 'FHC Classifieds' started by dgeesaman, May 1, 2015.

1. dgeesaman

dgeesaman

I inherited this older grinder when I bought my home. It's a Nielsen and was made in Eugene Oregon before they were bought by Bell and later closed down. It's made of cast aluminum and although the paint has faded quite a bit it has no rust.

It has a fixed 60 degree head incline and swivels from 25 to 45, 0, and -25 to -45 degrees. So it's ideal for cutting 60/30 / 0. It has a dressing head that makes perfectly rounded wheels as well as a functioning work light. You can put a square wheel on it and do rakers if you're willing to switch wheels. It has an adjustable chain setting pawl. When you want to cut the opposite side of the chain, just swivel the grinder head - the chain stays put. It has an adjusting stop so that you can grind exactly the same depth on each tooth or raker.

It comes with one resinoid and one vitrified 3/16" wheels for sharpening .375 and .325 chain as well as a worn 5/32'ish vitrified wheel. This winter I replaced the power cord, both pulleys, and belt with genuine Nielsen parts from John Brooks Enterprises, who still sell parts for this at very reasonable prices. I have a copy of the original instruction leaflet, which is brief but interesting.

The only mechanical issue might be that the clamp lever does not stay clamped - but it holds securely when I use my free hand to hold it shut, and probably faster to operate that way. Maybe that's how it's designed, I don't know.

I'm selling because I could not resist the urge to buy a 511AX. Turns out this makes sharp chain just as fast as that and I decided to sell this one to someone appreciates made-in-the-USA quality and because I now have my chains set to the Oregon grinding angles.

I'm asking $150 including shipping to the continental US. I'm also open to trades.

IMG_00000181.jpg IMG_20150501_183523.jpg

billb3, Camber, huskihl and 7 others like this.
  2. mike bayerl

mike bayerl

Hmmmm...

Chaz and Shawn Curry like this.
  3. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

Nice Sharpener!!

chipper1 and Chaz like this.
  4. Firewood Bandit

Firewood Bandit

Looks like this is getting a new home.:whistle:

Chaz and DexterDay like this.
  5. StickBender

StickBender

Oldie but a goodun!

Chaz and Firewood Bandit like this.
  6. Firewood Bandit

Firewood Bandit

Dave the OP was great to deal with!:handshake:

Got it put back together and am experimenting with different wheels. The 4" diameter is a little odd. You can buy the factory wheels but they are pretty soft and have a 3/8ths arbor. I can buy 4" metal grinder wheels locally from hardware stores for $2.50 and they are much harder. I made a 5/8ths bushing to make them fit. This isn't the time of year when I need to grind a lot of chains.:tears:

BTW, I grabbed a 4" wheel and didn't look at it closely. It said "masonry". I don't know what they are made of but man are they hard, (too hard):picard:

7. thistle

thistle

Yesterday I received a model 100 that was purchased from a fellow vintage chainsaw enthusiast in La Pine,Oregon,we're both member of several groups on Facebook.Occasionally they show up on Ebay,prices can be fairly steep depending on condition,they have almost cult-like following now it seems...lol DSC01780.JPG DSC01781.JPG DSC01782.JPG DSC01783.JPG DSC01785.JPG

Needs a new 4" wheel & a belt (already ordered those today thanks to some much welcome tips & a couple phone numbers).Gonna replace the cord soon,reinstall a new on/off switch,maybe a small light also.The wee Dayton 5000 RPM motor works good,all adjustments work properly,the clamps easy to operate & tighten securely.Price was quite fair,it originally had a really cool homemade heavy duty welded steel stand,I didn't want to pay the extra expense of shipping that,Seller had it for sale locally,it was included if Buyer wanted.

Have wanted one of these classics for a while now,the gentleman in OR who directed me where I could find a replacement belt used to have a large inventory of spare Nielsen belts/other parts but gradually sold them all a while back.Amazon.com still has them - Gates TruFlex 0210 belt is what they are.

Looking through one of my thick 3 ring notebooks of McCulloch/Homelite dealer brochures,service bulletins,illustrated parts lists this afternoon I found something DSC01786.JPG I don't remember seeing before - a well worn Nielsen 100B sales & instruction sheet,thinking the 100B is several years never than the 100,though I could be mistaken.One 100B listed on Ebay right now has June 59 stamped on the aluminum motor badge.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
  8. thistle

thistle

Ordered two 4" x 3/8 arbor x 3/16 grinding wheels (for .375 & .404 pitch chain) on Tuesday from Sharpchain.com,located in Pipestone,MN,they arrived yesterday.The 2 Gates belts should arrive Monday or Tuesday of next week.

Also grabbed this on Feebay Wednesday night for $12.99 shipped,it should arrive early next week also nielsen 460 wheel dresser 004.jpg nielsen 460 wheel dresser 005.jpg - a vintage Nielsen model 460 cast aluminum wheel dresser! Normally these have that set of hardened steel ''star wheels",at least my other cast iron handled pair does... I first used these in junior high machine shop class many many years ago..... nielsen 460 wheel dresser 001.jpg nielsen 460 wheel dresser 002.jpg nielsen 460 wheel dresser 003.jpg

9. thistle

thistle

nielsen 100B grinder pic 1.jpg Usually how my luck works.....Won a slightly newer 100-B in good working condition ready to go complete with on/off & light toggle switches last night on Feebay :hair:

Good price though,$90 & change shipped to my door from Roseburg,Oregon. Now will keep the older model 100 for backup/future spare parts donor if needed. Much cheaper than the other 2 100-B's that are listed on there right now - -$85 + shipping for an incomplete one,$165+ for a slightly different complete one...Prices can be all over the map for certain stuff like this,just like the same model of certain vintage saws. nielsen 100B grinder pic 2.jpg nielsen 100B grinder pic 3.jpg nielsen 100B grinder pic 4.jpg nielsen 100B grinder pic 5.jpg ...

10. thistle

thistle

Arrived yesterday. Also has this diamond wheel dresser attachment I wasn't expecting - adjust one knob to rotate the arm back & forth,plus another knob with wingnut depth stop to raise & lower it to where it shapes the edge of the wheel,either to round a new square edge wheel or clean off an older worn wheel.Pretty cool,this is 100% complete & ready for work now.

DSC01841.JPG DSC01842.JPG