In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

New or used Massey….. or kioti

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by makey98, Jul 1, 2024.

1. makey98

makey98

Age old debate but recently the used has been so out of whack or the new were unavailable so none of it mattered. Now there are new tractors on lots and have basically gone up 25% so the used maybe make sense again? Plus the new have 0% financing for 84 months.

NEW Massey 2850E for $37k or Kioti DK5520 for $38k.
    The wrinkle is they have a 2017 Massey 2706E with 500 hours on it for 25k. All have loaders with bucket and rear remote but the 2017 comes with front remote installed and a set of forks.

my use is just around my property, bush hogging, hay, moving wood around, snow, grading for a stone pad etc. so I probably won’t put another 500 hours on it for many many years. Thoughts? New is nice but $13k difference pays for a lot of implements as well.

metalcuttr, John D, RCBS and 2 others like this.
  2. Dok440

Dok440

I think I would go with used. 500hrs is not that much assuming it wasn't abused. It comes with a lot more too. Front remote and forks will cost you thousands.

Hinerman, JimBear, metalcuttr and 6 others like this.
  3. Chud

Chud

I would go for the 3rd function and cost savings. You can use the money for a grapple and other implements and 2 more rear remotes.
    Another important deciding factor for me would be loader lift capacity.

4. RCBS

RCBS

A coworker bought a compact Kioti not too long ago. Nice tractor. Something missing that bothered me though...split brake pedals. I use them pretty often on my tractor and don't think I'd want to be without. He likes it and hasn't had any problems.

5. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

I seen yesterday that Kubota has free financing or cash discount on some models right now...

6. Krackle_959

Krackle_959

I don’t know anything about either of the brands, I do know there is a local Kioti dealer here. As far as hours go, once you have a tractor and some implements, you will use it more than you think. My 4 yr old JD 4052R will turn 500 hours in a week or so when I bush hog the field. The 3 yr old KX-040 mini ex just turned 500 hrs last week, and our 4yr old little JD 2025R has 260 hrs on it right now.
    If you end up buying new, get all of the options you might want when you order it, as it’s cheaper than trying to add later. I looked at Deere and Kubota when I bought ours and liked the layout on the Deere better, and my 5’ tall wife could touch the pedals and controls easier. Get what’s comfortable for you, and enjoy using it!

Kubota and Deere always do 0% once you get out of sub compact sized tractors. They don’t always advertise it though.

7. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Sales guys using it a deal closer tool then..."what if I could get you zero % financing?" Then, "well if we go 0% then I can't discount the price anymore"

8. Krackle_959

Krackle_959

My dealer offered it as soon as I mentioned wanting a 4 or 5 series machine. He said Deere did in-house financing and 0% on it, and that it really started to make a difference once you were spending 6-7 figures on a tractor and implements. They sell a good amount of AG machines and deal with a lot of farmers, so it’s more geared towards them.

I was planning on writing a check for the machine, but at 0% why not borrow their money and let mine sit in a high interest savings account.

9. makey98

makey98

Thanks for the insight!

metalcuttr and Screwloose like this.
  10. makey98

makey98

Thanks. All three have very similar specs all around from lift capacity at hitch and loader.

metalcuttr, Screwloose and Chud like this.
  11. morningwood

morningwood

I looked at Kioti a numbers of years ago when I bought my Yanmar. I skid trees in my woods, and I wasn't too keen on the Kioti not having any skid plates. I opted for the Yanmar because it has skid plates on the bottom, the transmission filters are under the skid plates vs hanging off the side like the Kioti was, and it's a naturally asperated four cylinder vs a three cylinder turbo. Yes, I know turbo diesels are tried and true and this point but IMHO it's one less thing to break. If you plan on doing a lot of loader work I would highly recommend getting a hydrostat or CVT .

RCBS, metalcuttr, MAF143 and 2 others like this.
  12. Prospector

Prospector

When I bought mine. I shopped 4 dealers that were within 11/2hr drive. All prices with the extras I wanted were within $900. I actually bought the one with the next to lowest price bc of availability. All the dealers were highly regarded so available unit was the deciding factor. I spent $750 over the cheapest negotiated price and don’t regret it. IMO the overall cost invested made the extra spent a trivial expense.

brenndatomu, Screwloose and RCBS like this.
  13. Firewood Bandit

Firewood Bandit

The used Massey 2706E is $189 less than it was when new.

Personally I would look for a mint pre emission machine myself and do away with all the EPA problems. It will be a touch search.

I looked for 2 years before find a 2002 33 HP loader tractor to run an air blast sprayer in the orchard, it had 398 hours on it.

Screwloose and brenndatomu like this.
  14. MasterMech

MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

This makes no sense unless the machine is making money for you on the daily. You pay a premium for these 0% finance plans too. It's built into the price of the machine.

I'm LONG out of the biz, but different 0% options came and went. The un-advertised stuff was usually restricted to excellent credit ratings and carried a significant fee to the dealer (hence why they can't lower the price) and the advertised plans maybe had a lower dealer fee but are normally restricted to certain models or have strings attached ie: implement packages that drive the margin of the sale up. Deere Credit was a very fair/ethical lender to work with IMO but they weren't giving anything away then, and I doubt that's changed.

15. Prospector

Prospector

Personally if I needed or really wanted a tractor I would not ( and did not) spend a long time looking for a pre- emission machine. They are somewhat rare ( in good shape)and can be expensive as well. I took a chance and bought new and in 3 yrs it has been flawless. Would I love to have a pre emission in good shape for a good price- absolutely. Would I wait, watch, shop, haggle and dicker a big long time to get it- I did not. That was just my opinion and have no issues either way

16. FarmerJ

FarmerJ

Anything older than 2010 or even 2004.

make sure it doesn’t have any emissions on it.

45-60 hp for lifting capacity. I want something to pull a 4-6 bottom chisel plow so really anything smaller than 60 hp is too small.

eatonpcat and Screwloose like this.
  17. makey98

makey98

Thanks all. I ended up going with the Massey. Was big and stout enough for anything I need but not too big that I can’t fit it anywhere. Just couldn’t bring myself to spend 38-45k for a new one. So far I have about 25 hours on it and it has been great. Bought a Bushhog bh216 as well, done my field twice and a neighbors way overgrown weed field as well. Trying to get this area all cleaned up, need to split all the wood, move the totes around and organize, then am making a leveled area and putting some stone down for all the wood to go. Have about 8 of these IBC cages and then some homemade racks for the rest. AA59DC39-3429-4E68-85E6-282C7192EAD8.jpeg 4D92C517-2CB6-4DFB-BB59-B8843BC07C2B.jpeg 5EEAA187-5293-4925-B87E-074F6FB57DF1.jpeg

Chvymn99, ole, MikeInMa and 11 others like this.
  18. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

Very Nice! Congrats

Chvymn99 likes this.
  19. Ward Hoarder

Ward Hoarder

Glad to see it has rear wheel weights. Nice tractor, should last you a long time.

Chvymn99, eatonpcat and Haftacut like this.
  20. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

I have a small sub compact Massey and very happy with it.
    Kind of wish I had gone a little bigger but honestly it suits me just fine.

I did add third function so I could use a grapple , now that was money well spent.
    Makes wood life just that much easier.

Congrats , it looks great.

Chvymn99, eatonpcat and brenndatomu like this.