In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Neighborhood score

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by jrider, Jun 29, 2024.

1. jrider

jrider

I’m generally not too much of a scrounge these days but a tree company was doing some work for multiple neighbors yesterday and dropped this wood off in my yard. Some of it is big and some is typical tree company cut but it’s right alongside the driveway and all oak. There may be more today. Probably close to 2 cords total.

Attached Files:

2. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Gotta love the way tree guys buck to "fireplace length"! :picard: At least it's an easy grab. Id be leaving all the shorties and bucking 16" rounds.

3. jrider

jrider

It’s all in my yard so it all has to be processed. Those short pieces don’t bother me as much as they used to though because I toss them in ibc totes and put them out at the road in front of moms place. I get $5 for 15 pieces and it goes pretty darn good.

4. John D

John D

I. Am thinking I have to start looking around

5. jrider

jrider

I got the logs cut up yesterday afternoon and there is closer to 3 cords total. Was able to make a lot of 16” cuts with a minimal number of shorties.

Attached Files:

6. EODDiver

EODDiver

I was shocked this past Winter the number of orders I received for my 6-12" shorts and sold this stuff at full price. I didn't even specifically advertise it, just had a quick mention in my Youtube video. Burners like the shorts for their Solo stoves and smaller wood stoves. Shorter and smaller diameter splits also dry very fast, so able to move this stuff quickly.

7. Skier76

Skier76

Our Solo Ranger takes 12” splits. Burns really well with hardwood.

John D, jrider and buZZsaw BRAD like this.
  8. Biddleman

Biddleman

Thats a great score.

Tree companies around here take everything to a mulch company. :( Huge piles and piles of dropped off logs. I try not to look at it when I pass it.

9. jrider

jrider

My son had a baseball game this an hour and a half away this morning. We got home a little past 1pm and I sat around for a while before deciding to do something productive with the afternoon. My driveway has a small hill to it from the street so I let gravity be my friend with the big rounds of oak. It took an hour and 20 minutes to load this up which is just a little shy of 2 cords. Still plenty of big rounds which I will roll on the truck tomorrow once it’s empty. I knew it was humid out there today but halfway through, I was second guessing my decision not to just sit in the air conditioning watching my Phillies but it’s done now and I’m happy about that. All of my clothes looked like I had jumped in the pool.

Attached Files:

theburtman, Skier76, Hinerman and 3 others like this.