In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

My in ground pool project

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by ironpony, Jul 12, 2024 at 4:59 PM.

1. ironpony

ironpony

Well I came here to do some reading as I do. The first thread was a swimming pool one. So that got me thinking about how much you guys/gals like projects. This was my winter project this past winter.

first I shot grade to determine the top height of the pool framing, yes framing. I used the concrete pad under the A/C as zero.

IMG_0290-2.jpg

I then dug the hole carefully after calculating the depth needed. all the spoils went in the dump trailer and were dumped behind the new shop as fill being I had to raise the building

IMG_2094.jpg

I then lined the hole with 2" structural foam board. inside of which I framed the body of the pool with PT lumber. the foam did two things, it kept the dirt backfill off of the PT and insulated the pool from the ground.
    the backfill around the pool was about 1.5"s because I took great care to not over dig the hole. the pool is 12x20 the tanning ledge is 12x8 and 16's deep the "deep" end is 12x12 and 48"s deep.

IMG_0364-2.jpg IMG_0366-2.jpg

Being we were coming into winter and I need to keep the wood dry for the finish I built an A frame over it

IMG_0373-3.jpg

After extensive research I settled on a rubber product which was designed to fix old concrete pools. all the seams were covered in a fabric mesh and bedded in similar to drywall seams.

IMG_2596.jpg

ten coats later and after curing causing the rubber to vulcanize I had this

IMG_0600.jpg

spring is here and I removed the cover and fill it up

IMG_0621-1.jpg

naturally part of the project was to build a fence around the pool. the fencing was a Lowes in stock which was meant to be installed in 6x8 sections. I revised the panel and made 2 4x6 sections out of each on saving me a bunch on fencing this step was actually right after the hole was dug for safety reasons. the bottom was also closed in

IMG_0302-1.jpg

then of course you need a deck too. the deck floor joist run from a ledger board on the pool to the ledger on the fence tying everything into one structure you will notice the deck makes the fencing 4' inside but allows for the grade so the fence is 6' outside.

IMG_0639.jpg

finally instead of a skimpy gate I found a product approved by the pool standards people to enclose the last 9' and is completely removable making a nice entry, view from the covered patio

IMG_0650.jpg

enjoy and feel free to ask questions I have answered hundreds already. I expect he lifespan to be 10 years at which time I will be ready to fill it in because as stated in the other thread pools are a pain in the @@@
    I have 3k in the actual pool and about 7k in the whole project.

my next thread will be the new outdoor kitchen at this house, including a new pizza oven, stay tuned

Ron T, BHags, Skier76 and 18 others like this.
  2. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Outstanding! What an awesome job, looks like a great place to hangout. :thumbs:

3. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

4. sms4life

sms4life

Really cool. Good work.

5. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    ironpony I have always liked seeing your projects. This was great as well.

6. ironpony

ironpony

Thank you.

7. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

damm...IP, awesome job as always from you.
    I thought you and the wife moved to the islands.

I will patiently wait for my invitation to the pool party!!

8. jrider

jrider

9. clay shooter

clay shooter

you have done a very nice job there.well done

10. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Wow, excellent job. That looks very nice

11. Buttermilk

Buttermilk

Very nice

12. yooperdave

yooperdave

Interesting. How long is the plywood coating rated to last?

13. savemoney

savemoney

you really got a lot for your investment. Would have been much more if you had contracted it out. Enjoy it whenever you can. It is a really hot summer.

14. ironpony

ironpony

Dura-Rubber™ is UV Stable – keep in mind, there is a difference between UV “Resistant” and UV “Stable” A UV “Stable” unlike pond paint products Dura-Rubber is suitable for applications which require long-term exposure to direct sunlight and have a minimum of a 10 year lifespan. In harsh environments, UV Resistant products typically fail after 2-3 years.

Rubberizeit™ Dura-Rubber™ is a water-based single part liquid rubber. It requires no catalyst to activate or cure like pond epoxy. Once the water evaporates, only the non-toxic rubber coating is left behind and takes approximately 3-5 days to fully cure (depending on temperature and humidity).