In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

MS250 or MS251

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by rocky99, Jul 15, 2024 at 11:22 AM.

1. rocky99

rocky99

I am in the market to buy a smaller saw than my MS310 due to older age and arthritis which makes it difficult to start. I've been reading reviews on different forums comparing the two models as well as the "easy start" 251 and have noticed specs change on what year you are reading about? Since they are similar in weight and power, my main concern is reliability, availability of parts, and ease of starting. I am leery of the tool less chain adjustor and "easy start" mechanism on the 251-c as just something else that can gum up or break. Anyone out there with real life experience with both saws (latest version) that could make a recommendation one way or the other. Thanks.

MAF143 likes this.
  2. FarmerJ

FarmerJ

I’ve got the MS180 with toolless chain adjust and the easy-start.

your fears are unfounded.

Easy start is truly misunderstood technology. What your doing is loading a spring up to provide the energy.

So for someone who finds it difficult to pull start a saw, it’s actually to your benefit.

Eggshooterist likes this.
  3. Eggshooterist

Eggshooterist

My buddy has both. The 250 is faster cutting and lighter. The 251 has better antivibe.

4. MAF143

MAF143

I love my MS250. Probably about 6 years old and cuts great with a couple ez mods. However, unless you commit to a good grip and a solid yank, there are times when it will rip the handle out of your hand. I know my Uncle Arthir doesn't like that one bit...

My neighbor got a RedMax with the easy start. I cannot start it. I can drop start any of my other saws no problem, but I can't slowly pull his through 3 gentle "thumps" for it to kick without putting it on the ground and standing on the handle. My shoulder is starting the thing where it's ULTRA painful as soon as my upper arm goes above parallel to the ground.

My nephew had a used 435 E and didn't realize what the E meant and broke the starter. I replaced it and he broke that one in 3 pulls after I gave it back to him. I replaced it with a NON E starter... He's much happier now. Moral of that story is that after many years of yanking a chainsaw to start it, it's very hard to not just pick it up and rip the e-z start right off the side of the saw.

Or maybe that's just my family???

Welcome aboard Rocky. Are you really 99? Hope I'm still cutting when I get there... :D

Last edited: Jul 15, 2024 at 2:29 PM
    Ronaldo likes this.