In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Masonry fireplace install/stove advice

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by g60gti, Oct 19, 2024 at 9:15 PM.

1. g60gti

g60gti

So if I don’t get a stove this fall it will be my second year without and I may go crazier. I miss it so bad. Guess I’m just looking for some recommendations on stoves and any install tip yall may have.

It’s not an ideal location(far end of house, exterior chimney, stuffed into fireplace, kitchen so I can’t kick back and enjoy watching) unfortunately it’s the only place I can put a stove. It’s a large fireplace so I can pretty much put most stoves in there. Dimensions are 56” wide, tapers to 45” and it’s 48” high. Mantel is right at that 48” mark but could be moved up a bit to meet CTC.

I’m mostly looking at used stoves due to price so obviously that limits my choices. I’d be open to some suggestions of new though up to about 2800 bucks. Rear exit stoves would be ideal obviously but could probably make certain top exit work too. The stove would have to be tucked in flush with the front of the fireplace as we have a dining table that we do use in there.

I looked at a hearthstone Mansfield but it was pretty beat so I passed. I’ve come up with a quadrafire Cumberland gap that would fit well. It’s currently set up top exit but looking at manual I believe it can be switched. Anyone burning that stove?

Basically just looking for any info from the group. Either on stoves or tips for setting it into the fireplace. Who has a fireplace setup like this? Obviously not as good as freestanding but how does it do? Blower or just use fans to move heat around? Had 16 courses of the chimney rebuilt and a new crown poured last fall. Have SS liner and insulation ready to go. Pic of proposed wood stove landing space.
    IMG_6742.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 19, 2024 at 9:51 PM
    Eric VW likes this.
  2. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Last edited: Oct 19, 2024 at 9:53 PM
    Eric VW and g60gti like this.