In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Making a shop service cart more serviceable!

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by don2222, Jul 14, 2017.

1. don2222

don2222

Hello
    Now that the shop is sheetrocked, I am get some tools!
    Saw this red Service Cart on Harbor Freight on sale for $39.95 so I picked it up!
    However, putting a drill case or tool box on the top tray, makes it a little hard to get at the latches to open it! Also a nice removable sliding cutting board may come in handy too!
    So I picked this 1/2" thick 18"x24"cutting board up at Bed Bath and Beyond at one of their high volume bull stores for $39.95.
    18-Inch x 24-Inch Carving and Pastry Board Maple 18" x 24"
    Then took a piece of scrap primed 1"x2" to use as runners and cut to length and clamped it and screwed it to the bottom of the board using galvanized deck screws!
    I left room to throw in any tools or parts that may roll around and the board can slide back and forth so the opening can be on either side or both!
    Now it is nice to have it next to me when working on a stove.
    How does it look?
    See pics

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
    Woodwidow, wildwest, XXL and 7 others like this.
  2. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Nice work don2222 :yes:
    Should serve your needs for quite a while...:thumbs:

wildwest likes this.
  3. HDRock

HDRock

Looks good :thumbs:

wildwest and Eric VW like this.
  4. don2222

don2222

Thanks a lot for your comments guys.

Also I am pretty green on setting up a workshop so if you have any good workshop tips, please let me know?

Maybe it would be nice to have a workshop setup and tip section here?

Thanks!

wildwest and Eric VW like this.
  5. VOLKEVIN

VOLKEVIN

Remember that a section or 2 of pegboard on the wall is your friend for often used small hand tools! Also, invest in a couple or three outlet strips, preferably that are wall mountable. I got a couple of really nice Snap On ones from Costco last summer that are meant for the garage. You never can have too many plug ins available to you in the workshop! Last but not least, 2 more items- a wall mounted heater/radiant heater for the winter, and a fan of some sort for the summer. The rest is all up to you and your needs, have fun setting it up and playing!

6. HDRock

HDRock

Don't forget lighting ,lots of lights
    I painted all the pegboard and walls white , I think you can buy white pegboard now if your adding some

wildwest, Eric VW and VOLKEVIN like this.
  7. VOLKEVIN

VOLKEVIN

I think don2222 is onto something- let's have a thread about what would be the setup/features of the ultimate workshop/garage. I'll start the thread, and I'm already excited to see everyone's input!

*thread has been added to the DIY room*

wildwest, don2222 and Eric VW like this.
  8. don2222

don2222

Thanks for the Tips
    I did have an old used pellet heater I fixed up, air conditioner , ceiling fan and double impeller exhaust fan installed when we built the shop.
    Also 4 Can lights, 2 ceiling bulbs and a ceiling fan light for lighting.
    18 AC outlets 5 are 20 amp 110v, one 50 amp 220v, one 20 amp 220v and the rest are 15 amp 110v That does not include the 3 15 amp 110v outside outlets and work bench 6 outlet power strip.

Shop has it's own electric panel that was inspected by the town electrical inspector. :)

A door bell that also rings in the main house that is runs on low voltage AC and NO batteries! :)

Attached Files:

Thor and VOLKEVIN like this.
  9. don2222

don2222

Hello
    Good tip about the pegboard, I just got a 4x8 sheet already painted white and had it cut to size at the lumber yard in their mill shop.
    The shop is small, so with shelves up all over the walls I still found a good place to put it! Since the sides of the workbench were open then each side was the perfect place!
    See pics

Attached Files:

Thor and HDRock like this.
  10. HDRock

HDRock

I have a 4 x 8 pegboard on the wall and then some other couple more 2 x 2' pegboard.
    Funny though, I have some on the end and back of my bench also, I hang bar clamps on the back, they don't stick out to bump into

Thor and don2222 like this.
  11. yooperdave

yooperdave

I think I need one of those service carts for my shop!

Thor likes this.
  12. don2222

don2222

I use this one all the time now!
    Just good to roll up where I am working to throw tools on instead of tripping over them on the floor! LoL

Thor and yooperdave like this.
  13. yooperdave

yooperdave

Been on more than one job where I can't find the tool I'm looking for and the entire box gets emptied....

Thor likes this.
  14. gmule

gmule

Looks nice that is how I have my tool box set up only on a larger scale

Attached Files:

Thor, don2222 and VOLKEVIN like this.
  15. Kimberly

Kimberly

I have an old shop cart that my BIL gave me. I like your top idea. I may just make it where you set it in place and have cleats on four sides to keep it in the centre or maybe slots in the sides so that it raises up and slides down on the side out of the way. These carts are really nice when it comes to working on a car and your idea has extended the use of the cart.

don2222 likes this.
  16. Kimberly

Kimberly

I am thinking of moving things around in the shed. The shed should have been built a bit deeper and a bit wider. One thing you can consider room wise is to move the air compressor outside of the shop; built a little lean-to or cover to keep it out of the weather, and plumb the air inside. That will cut down on the noise from the air compressor as well.

don2222 likes this.
  17. Kimberly

Kimberly

My work tables are old sewing machine tables from a local factory that shut. I have two of them. I put a plywood top on them over the old top because there was a big hole where the sewing machine set. They are steel frames. I noticed in one of the photos a table with drawers; that is an idea I need to see if I can do; add drawers to my tables. There is a bottom self on each table. It is all about storage. The law is that no matter the size of the storage, it will become full.
    My BIL gave me some nice metal shelves that also came out of a textile mill that shut. My lights are the same, salvaged from the textile mill. However, I may have to change them over from the existing tubes since they are phasing out the tubes mine require; I managed to get a new set to replace them a year ago but eventually they will have to be changed over. I might see about going to LED replacements.

Jack Straw likes this.
  18. don2222

don2222

Luv ur Idea on having a drawer on the service cart!!! Maybe I can come up with something there too!
    The cart is handy on the wheels because I can pull it over to where I am working! A draw would also be handy too!
    The drawer slides can be purchased at Rockler and the wood Drawer can be built here for $13.00 any size!
    Baltic Plywood Dovetail Drawer Boxes

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
    Thor likes this.
  19. don2222

don2222

Good idea on the compressor but I did not have room outside because of the cement walkway to the shed. Therefore I installed a nice 80 gallon and air dryer in the back corner of the garage and ran the air lines to the basement and the workshop. On the other side of the wall is one of the electric sub panels, so installing the 50 amp 240 VAC outlet was easy peasy. :) see pics
    Installing a Quincy for shop air - tips and advice?

SKEETER McCLUSKEY and metalcuttr like this.