In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Looking for a softer 6" pipe cleaning brush

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by EODDiver, Jun 9, 2024.

1. EODDiver

EODDiver

Cleaned my chimney pipe last week with a poly brush kit I purchased on Amazon. The stiff poly brush was way over kill for the small amount of fly ash deposits I removed. Believe a softer and denser brush would have cleaned better and would be easier running up and down the pipe. Found one on Amazon used for cleaning dryer vents, put it didn't have the 1/4 NPT threads that come on most rods. A side note. Was researching at the end of this burning season on whether you should cover your chimney cap over the summer months. I decided to leave mine uncovered. After the second little blue bird appeared in my stove, I now have it covered.
    IMG_0841.jpeg

wildwest and Backwoods Savage like this.
  2. Well Seasoned

Well Seasoned Administrator

Soot eater is the residential style that the chimney experts use, experts typically use snaplok) definitly a great way to sweep!

3. EODDiver

EODDiver

Thanks, just placed my order on Amazon. Will use my poly bristle kit if I get heavier build up. I only burn extremely well seasoned hickory and white oak, so heavy creosote buildup isn't an issue.

4. billb3

billb3

If it is that little of a build up, why bother ?

I am a fan of a soft pillow.

wildwest likes this.
  5. EODDiver

EODDiver

I wanted to start this coming burning season off with a clean chimney pipe and test my brush and whether to go bottom up or top down. I went bottom up and the stiff poly bristle brush was a bear to push and I couldn't twist pushing up or pulling down. I have the soot eater kit and will try the top down with it after a few months burning. Plan on burning whatever amount of wood required to keep the house in the low 70s, so will be interesting to see the amount of soot buildup after a few cords.