In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Log splitter refab project

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by RedBuRnsHotter, Sep 9, 2018.

1. RedBuRnsHotter

RedBuRnsHotter

Well here is what I have been working on for the last couple weeks. This is a splitter my grandpa and Dad built 40+ years ago. I have split a lot of wood with them using it when I was a kid. I don’t have a tractor that would have worked with it plus I want to be able to take it with me to split where I cut if I want. I borrowed my brothers horizontal splitter last year and it killed my back it’s maybe 18” off the ground. So this is what I have come up with so far.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Step 1 was rebuilding the push plate. And leveling everything up. It was pushing down hill badly. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    So I then built the hydraulic reservoir and set it on the axle and raised it to heights I wanted. 32” to the top of H beam. I built a table for the front. And I wanted a log lift probably the most challenging part for me. But I figured it out and finished it up this morning [​IMG][​IMG]
    I tested it with air and seems to work good so far.
    The valves I had from a farm hand we had on the farm no automatic detent for me at this time
    I got the 16.5 Briggs mounted I got from my brother put gas in it and fired the first pull. [​IMG]
    My pump and filter should be here this week some time. I will get the hoses made and everything plumbed then test run everything before paint. I do have a question what the easiest way to reduce flow to the lift arm cylinder?? Any thoughts you guys have please let me know thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
    Hammy, imwiley1, brenndatomu and 5 others like this.
  2. Tiewire

Tiewire

Cheapest way is to feather the handle or restrict the flow of oil some way. I used a needle valve in hat I got from surplus supply.

Hammy, brenndatomu and amateur cutter like this.
  3. 03fatboy

03fatboy

Your log splitter looks good,
    On mine I just put a restrictor in line, I drilled it out a little for some more speed, still have to be careful or you can launch a round.

4. chris

chris

You could braze or weld fitting closed then drill apx 1/8" hole - redneck restrictor

5. RedBuRnsHotter

RedBuRnsHotter

I ended buying a orifice today it was $7 so why not. This is what I got done this evening pump mounted filter mounted and inlet hose ran. Hopefully I will get those other hoses made tomorrow evening [​IMG]

6. redRover

redRover

You can't beat Free.99, but if you're planning on putting serious time on this splitter, I would consider getting a detent valve, or at least making it easy to retrofit down the road. The increase in productivity from being able to organize the rounds/splits while the cylinder is retracting, compared to keeping one hand on the valve all the time, is enormous.

It looks great, but just my $0.02.

7. RedBuRnsHotter

RedBuRnsHotter

Need some advice guys just got my log splitter fired up tonight and the lovejoy on the motor keeps moving back towards the motor the first time came completely off how to I get it to hold?? And anyone have suggestions on what to put under the motor to help with vibration? Thanks all

amateur cutter and Hammy like this.
  8. RedBuRnsHotter

RedBuRnsHotter

Thanks and at some point that’s the goal but this is a start

Hammy likes this.
  9. 03fatboy

03fatboy

Good job on splitter, the detent valve is the way to go on a splitter.
    Had a regular valve on my first one and after awhile it got old.
    I would check your set screws on your love joy,maybe a dab of blue lock tite on them.

amateur cutter, Hammy and Tiewire like this.
  10. chris

chris

Trick move parts to where need be remove set screw drill a small indent in shaft through set screw hole a dab of lock tight on threads reinstall set screw

11. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Are the set screw(s) coming loose? If so then yeah, Loctite 'em. If they are not coming loose and it is still moving then there is other issues IMO.
    A piece of thick rubber under the motor for vibration reduction? Maybe an old truck mudflap, or piece of beltline...you can buy lil rubber motor mounts for small engines too, but they only last a year or two IME...

amateur cutter, Hammy and 03fatboy like this.