In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Liner Clean Out - Question?!

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by ReelFaster, Oct 15, 2024 at 9:06 AM.

1. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

Skipped cleaning out the liner last winter so I was due this year. Very pleased with the little to no creosote build up after the cleaning. I mean there was practically nothing. I also took the time to replace some firebricks that where starting to deteriorate. Only thing left is to blow out and oil the blower and burning season 24'-25' is ready to go!

I did notice however that my liner seemed to have slipped a bit and not fully fastened with the clamp to the chimney top. I loosened it and tried to pull the liner up but was just a bit to heavy and could not get a solid grip on it, hard to get leverage.

Has anyone have this happen and what is the best way to try and get it pulled up? I was thinking of poking a hole through it in an attempt to get some leverage to have it clear the clamp with a screwdriver or a hook of sorts to pull it up. Almost thinking this might be a two person job, one is pulling and other is securing.

For right now it's fully secured and holding but I'd prefer the entire clamp securing it.

IMG_6289.JPG
    IMG_6294.JPG
    IMG_6296.JPG
    IMG_6292.JPG
    IMG_6279.JPG
    IMG_6313.JPG

Attached Files:

The Wood Wolverine likes this.
  2. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

That looks to me like its slipped a lot! I don't think I'd use it until fixed.
    I would not poke a hole in the liner to pry it up...and if you use pliers to grip/pull on it you'll likely pull the liner apart where its crimped together (spiral wound)
    The only thing that come to mind at the moment, without major dismantling, would be to get a 6" sewer pipe test plug and blow it up to lift the whole liner with...some have hooks that are sturdy enough to pull on pretty hard...you might be able to rent one? Too pricey to buy just for this IMO...maybe a chimney sweep or stove shop could lift it back up for minimal $?
    Cherne Muni-BallĀ® 6 x 4-1/2 in. Commercial, Residential, Sewer Test Plug - 262064 - Pollardwater

3. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

Shoot...............well this puts a crimp on things, ugh....

Forgive my ignorance dumb question but what are the negatives of using? Not proper ventilation.........

I'd hate to call in someone, but probably at least worth to see if someone would do it. I feel like all I am going to hear is this is wrong, that is wrong, sell me this, sell me that.

Here is a pic of the original install, just about level with the top of the cap. Did that clamp come loose when I perhaps cleaned it out with the soot eater over the years, the vibration?

20180902_130250.jpg

brenndatomu likes this.
  4. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

5. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Yeah probably just loosened up over time...clamp maybe could have been snugged up after the first year too?
    That cherne plug is too light duty, doesn't have the HD pull ring on it