In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

limbs vs trunk change smoking flavor?

Discussion in 'The Smokehouse' started by chunez, May 19, 2023.

1. chunez

chunez

I think there is a giant hickory tree I can get for free. When using it for smoking does it matter if the wood comes from the limbs or trunk? Are there certain trees where this matters more than others?

MikeInMa and stuckinthemuck like this.
  2. JotulYokel

JotulYokel

I dunno. But I cut down a Hickory tree several months ago... base was 28 inches in diameter, and when I used some heart wood to smoke some lamb, it didn't smell like Hickory at all. I await some good replies. Maybe the Hickory has to be seasoned first?

stuckinthemuck and eatonpcat like this.
  3. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

4. cuinrearview

cuinrearview

The sap wood seems to attract bugs and rot no matter how quickly you process it. I consider the heart wood to be at the top of the list for my WSM. I've not noticed any difference where it comes from on the tree. The bark is significant on hickories, and it burns and coals kind of like the wood does. So a higher bark/wood ratio could change the flavor profile some. I bet it is still delicious with a brined whole chicken.:dex:

5. jrider

jrider

I don’t know first hand but have been told the dark wood in hickory has a much stronger smell/flavor.