In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Lets talk Roxul, block off plate, etc.

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by bocefus78, Nov 1, 2013.

1. bocefus78

bocefus78

After a monsoon came thru Indiana last night, I got the pleasure of finding out that my roofers didnt do something right. I had water coming in down the pipe on top of the insert :(
    After removing the surround to get some bowls and towels in there, I noticed that my liner is going up a big azz hole in my prefab fireplace that the insert sits in( see pic) and it was drawing considerable air up it. (I gave it a smoke test with my marlboro)

Is this where a block off plate should go? I have read about ppl shoving a bunch of Roxul (i think) up there too. Should I do that? A plate wouild be a PIA to fab up since there is only a cpl inches in there to work.

Anyway, they are going to get a bill for pulling it out, painting the insert, and a re-install. I figured I might as well address this issue at the same time.

Any help is appreciated. Thx.

Attached Files:

2. foragefarmer

foragefarmer

If it has leaked the problem isn't there it is on top of your chimney. Sounds like something isn't sealed properly. I sealed the plate that went over the terra cotta liner with high temp caulk on my insert install, just like the old cap had been caulked in place.

3. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

Yea its something with where your liner exits the chimney. The roofers mess with the inside of the pipe and don't honestly see how bad flashing would leak in your chimney??

But to answer your question, yeas you would stuff roxul all around the pipe to seal it. It can't burn as its a mineral, a rock that is somehow turned into insulation.

I don't think most places stock it? But you have to buy a big package of it is the problem.

I need some for the farm so if u buy some I will give you a few bucks plus shipping to cram a battery in a box and send it to me :)

Pallet Pete and concretegrazer like this.
  4. bocefus78

bocefus78

I realize this is not my water issue. I just noticed this while drying up the water that was coming in from up top. Roofers admitted they jacked up something and have since fixed it...tomorrow is the garden hose test.

5. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

Its just strange that you have water in the fireplace?? I dunno you know more about your home than I do, just strange that water can get into the fireplace without them touching the chimney. The flashing I don't think would be a problem leading to water in the fireplace.

6. concretegrazer

concretegrazer

I would definitely put some insulation up in there if their pulling your insert out.

7. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Moderator

Climb up on the roof and check the flashing and cap it sounds like they didn't seal it right or well enough. If its brick or block the motor could also be bad allowing a leak. Clem nailed it on the head you need to stuff roxul in the opening and you can also add a block off plate if you wish. Defiantly address the leak first ! Good luck boce let us know how it goes.

8. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

It still makes no sense if flashing is bad that the water is in the firebox on the insert . If the flashing is bad it would be dripping down the exterior of the prefab box or if brick into your actual house or attic along the chimney edge.

9. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Moderator

It sounds like the water was coming down the outside of the liner and settling on top of the insert. It could easily be the flashing if that's the case.

10. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

That is a liner in a prefab chimney I think? So there is a liner in a pipe with a cap on it at the top. Maybe I'm confused?? But the one liner I have put in has no flashing anywhere near it??

Pallet Pete likes this.
  11. bocefus78

bocefus78

Water was not IN the insert. It was on top of the insert leaking from the prefab fireplace. It is (was) coming in between the big pipe with the cap and the liner. Roofer didnt show up yesterday to do his garden hose test. He must not want paid too bad I guess.

Pallet Pete likes this.
  12. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

I understood what you meant but unless your roofer installed your cap how is this his fault. I'm not pointing blame or taking sides, at this point I am thou roughly confused??

I know that your liner runs inside the prefab pipe. So you should have a top plate that goes over prefab pipe that holds liner at the top, then the cap hooks into this inside the liner which should allow blowing rain to run down inside the liner. Some of course can make its way around it but should not puddle.

Or if flashing on prefab pipe is bad I can see how it would run down pipe and onto the topside of the prefab, but should it not shed water to the side around it? It water runs into it that easy from the exterior of the pipe seems like it would smoke up the house?

Maybe my thinking is entirely cockeyed???

13. reckless

reckless

That's exactly where I stuffed my roxul and all above the block off too. Being an old fireplace you should have a smoke shelf that should hold the insulation nicely.

14. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

Pre fabs don't really have a shelf .