In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Kindling Storage Ideas

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by scarps68, Nov 5, 2021.

1. scarps68

scarps68

So I'm trying to decide on the best way to store kindling. I've used a 20- gallon garbage can, but it's hardly enough for the season. I'm leaning towards an IBC tote, but I'm looking for some pros/cons, even other ideas.

2. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

My system is very crude. 2 large Rubbermaid trash cans full of kindling stored under my deck, plus half a dozen 5 gallon buckets full, and 2 wooden shipping crates which are also full. But I only keep one 5 gallon bucket full in the house at any given time, which I replenish as necessary. If I ever procure an IBC tote I’d use it exclusively for kindling. It would be nice to store it all in one central location anyway.

3. Cash Larue

Cash Larue

I bought a metal bracket set off of Amazon pretty cheap, and built a kindling "shed" in about 30 minutes. I stapled some old tar shingles on the top. It's been standing for a few years now and is still really solid. The wood stays really dry too. You could cut the wood to build the shed to any size that you'd like. Mine is roughly 4' x 5'.

2DBFD134-C998-4A9E-AE4E-84F94E7F7311.jpeg

4. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

Nice job there Cash.

5. BuckeyeFootball

BuckeyeFootball

I keep mine in the corner of our shed in random 5 gallon buckets and old amazon boxes etc.

6. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

:confused:
    I quit using kindling.
    Just full size splits and my homemade firestarters.
    How do you use so much?:startled:

7. Skier76

Skier76

We have two metal racks under the deck and close to the house. Each rack has two sections for stacking. One out of the four is dedicated to kindling. Obviously, it’s used for starting fires. Really helps when we arrive on a Friday evening and the stove is cold. I also like using it for overnight reloads; a piece or two up front on the coals gets things going quickly.

8. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Here is a stack of wood I donated to a needy neighbor. If you look on the right side you will see some kindling stuffed in the cribbed ends. I used to do this a lot as it is a handy place to store it and handy to get at any time it is needed.

That lady's husband was laid up for quite some time and they were very happy to get this dry wood.

Betty Deveraux.JPG

Chvymn99, mat60, Chud and 11 others like this.
  9. Skier76

Skier76

Great use of space there Dennis!

10. EODMSgt

EODMSgt

I have three 34-gallon wheeled trash cans that I load up with kindling scrap from the splitting process. I picked up circular vents to install in the sides of the cans for better circulation/drying but have yet (after four seasons) to install them as I leave the tops off when it is sunny out and that seems to be enough to get everything dry enough. I don't need much kindling to get the stove going (one piece of fatwood and well-seasoned firewood doesn't need much in the way of kindling) however I always keep some on hand and hate to waste the good splitting scraps. About 12 years ago I had made a good-sized kindling box with a hinged lid that I kept on the deck but it was a PITA to move around. The wheeled trash cans make life easy.

11. scarps68

scarps68

....the wife. BUT she helps split and stack, so I'll do whatever keeps her happy and helping!

12. billb3

billb3

30 gallon cans.

scarps68, Backwoods Savage and mat60 like this.
  13. Erik B

Erik B

I am on the two year plan for kindling. Like TurboDiesel , I find myself using less kindling by using my home made fire starters.
    DSC02653.JPG DSC02655.JPG Those 2 kindling bins are in my pole barn.

14. red oak

red oak

I have 4 big plastic trash cans that I use - not sure how many gallons. I keep them under my deck and one at a time bring them in by the stove. Between the four it’s more than enough for one winter.

15. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Thats the spirit.
    :handshake:

scarps68, Backwoods Savage and mat60 like this.