In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Jonsered 2152

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by SolarandWood, Jun 10, 2016.

1. SolarandWood

SolarandWood

Hey guys...i have a relatively low hour Jonsered 2152 that i bought for my then girlfriend now former wife about 12 or so years ago. She took it down to the local shop to be tuned up this week and they told her the saw was scrap as it has a scored cylinder and couldn't be rebuilt because it has a ceramic cylinder. Does that sound right?

DexterDay and Barcroftb like this.
  2. Barcroftb

Barcroftb

Did she blow out the canooter also? :rofl: :lol::thumbs: better put on your boots the bs is getting pretty deep. I would avoid that dealer in the future!

3. cgraham1

cgraham1

The shop is full of crap. That's the Jonsered equivalent to a 353 Husqvarna. It's a pro style saw with a mag case, and it's completely rebuildable, and actually pretty easy to work on.

If it was my saw, I would use the 346xp ne (2153) top end. Here's mine that I rebuilt and had ported...

image.jpg

4. Barcroftb

Barcroftb

With a nice Windsor to boot. Nice saw!

DexterDay and Eric VW like this.
  5. cgraham1

cgraham1

Thanks to jon1212

6. Barcroftb

Barcroftb

jon1212 is a solid dude for a dirty hippy!:D

7. SolarandWood

SolarandWood

Thanks for all the feedback guys. The final comment from them was that i could leave it with them and they would use it for parts if i was going to throw it out anyway. Another funny part of this tale I forgot is they sent her home with someone else's 2186 originally...now that would have been a ground score for a lot of people:whistle:

Any suggestions on who I might work with to make the saw right? I don't need to turn it into a high performer as I lost it in the divorce but would like to make sure it is working properly.

8. bocefus78

bocefus78

I'd talk to the manager and tell him the bs that was spewed by jim bob the counter guy and see if he will fix it for a deal. If he wont, let him know you will spread the word of the shops dishonest business ethics. My guess is he will make it right. My dad got took one time by a shop. I had a talk with the owner (tossing parts across the counter that were broken and supposedly fixed) and things were quickly made right free of charge for labor and parts at cost.

SolarandWood likes this.
  9. SolarandWood

SolarandWood

Unfortunately, the entire staff was involved including the owner. I'm not sure where it started as I didn't come in until the end when I saw the 2186 in the back of her car, but even with me going back with her there was no fixing it. I would rather work with one of the folks here to make the saw right. I'm thinking it may also be time to work some performance enhancements on the 371/2095.

Shawn Curry and Barcroftb like this.
  10. MasterMech

MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

Couple options. Please verify for yourself that the top end is ruined before buying parts. And then you need to know why the top end fried before the saw ruins the new one.

A 346XP top end (OEM) is stupid cheap these days (compared to before) and I'll give you a great source via PM. I'd also offer to do the work but I have a lot on the schedule currently and couldn't get it back to you in any sort of timely fashion.

Barcroftb and SolarandWood like this.
  11. SolarandWood

SolarandWood

Much appreciated MM but I will probably need a few pointers on the verification process:whistle:

Barcroftb likes this.
  12. MasterMech

MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

Pull the muffler and take a peek at the piston and rings through there.

Good

image.jpeg

Not good

image.jpeg

13. SolarandWood

SolarandWood

survey says...not good

2152 cylinder shot.jpg 2152 piston up.jpg

MasterMech likes this.
  14. Barcroftb

Barcroftb

Shawn Curry, HDRock and Eric VW like this.
  15. jeff_t

jeff_t

Top end isn't that hard to replace. Folks here could walk you through it with ease.

It would be beneficial to know what caused it in the first place.

SolarandWood likes this.
  16. SolarandWood

SolarandWood

My guess is that it is from lack of use and sitting around with old gas in it for extended periods. Given how infrequently my saws get used, I should come up with a better storage fuel solution. When I am cutting the 70cc saw sees a lot of action but even then the 50 and the 95 generally play minor supporting roles.

17. HDRock

HDRock

Shawn Curry and SolarandWood like this.
  18. cnice_37

cnice_37

Next step would be to pull the cylinder and check if it is salvageable. General rule of thumb is if more than transfer (scratches/ gouges in the Al that will catch with your fingernail) then it is a paper weight. If the transfer is just aluminum you can try to clean with scotch brite pads or muriatic acid. Both have vids online for tutorials.

It's a Husky so 4 Allen Screws hold the cylinder down, just use longs ones and a pair of channel locks for added leverage in getting them free.

That series of saws has a known air leak area around the intake clamp and most replace with a better option. It is what killed my 351.

HDRock, Shawn Curry, jon1212 and 2 others like this.
  19. jon1212

jon1212

I would hazard to say that old gas would cause difficulties in starting. Especially if it was pump gas containing ethanol. As for smoking the piston, and causing that much damage, I can't see "old" gas that was in the saw doing that. I would be more inclined to think an air leak somewhere, or the gas in the saw was "straight" as the damage isn't slight. Before you go much further, it might be a good idea to have a pressure/vacuum test performed.

Just my thoughts.......

CTYank, jeff_t, Barcroftb and 3 others like this.
  20. jon1212

jon1212

Oh, and that bar on cgraham1 Jonsered is probably another one I can add to the list of, "bars I wish I had kept".......:(

Barcroftb likes this.