In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

How to fell this thing

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by EODDiver, Aug 22, 2024 at 10:56 PM.

1. EODDiver

EODDiver

This maple is about 90' from my house and over 100' tall. Most of the serve weather comes out of the SW and would likely push it straight back so not a major concern. I want to preemptively drop it to the left which clears any snags. I am decent about putting a straight tree anywhere I want it to go; however, how do you deal with a hollow/rotten trunk that doesn't permit for a basic felling cut and wedge use? Afraid the slightest cut and things could go wonky. Hollow/rotten at least 7-8' high.
    IMG_1009.jpeg

Cash Larue likes this.
  2. Wolley

Wolley

I'd cut a very shallow notch down in the root flare where there is good wood. Then bore cut the sides and leave a back strap to release it. id probably have a rope in it toward the direction you want it to go and pull it over with a come along.

MikeInMa and Cash Larue like this.
  3. Cash Larue

Cash Larue

I’m not expert enough to give you solid advice. But I can’t wait to see the finished product! :popcorn:

4. spotted owl

spotted owl

Look up cutting or "felling" a catface tree. Should give a few ideas and things to think about. A catface is never fun and each is unique to itself and general advice should be taken with a big grain of salt.

Owl

MikeInMa likes this.
  5. FarmerJ

FarmerJ

Consider a scaffold or something. Cut it high over the hollow section and then take the shortened stump down with a bucket pushing it at the top the direction you want.

theburtman and MikeInMa like this.