In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Hey buddy, will you give me a lift?

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by brenndatomu, Jul 23, 2023.

1. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

He said no, so I decided to build my own...log lift that is. :D
    I'm maybe a little better than halfway through this project now, and I just realized that I have done a very poor job of taking pics along the way! I have exactly one so far. :picard:But in my defense, this has been an evolving design, and sometimes when I get in the zone, I can get very focused! :whistle: (not on photography though!)
    Years ago I wanted to build a kinetic splitter, but then black Friday came along and the local Rural King had 23ton Champion splitters for a "can't refuse" price...it works fine, and I was busy with other things, so the project got put on the back burner...way back.
    Then a couple years ago I "scored" a cheap DR electric flywheel splitter that needed some work...I got it working well enough to use it a little bit and soon realized 2 things.
    1. I really don't think a flywheel splitter would work well for me and the large gnarly wood that I often get.
    2. I really like having a nice quiet electric splitter!
    This got my gears turning again for a custom log splitter build.
    Then I found a really cheap ole Huskee 22 ton with a blown up engine...this was a great candidate for a build because the price was right, and it still has a real I beam, and not the "fabricated" beam like many/most of them do these days. (including my 23ton Champion) They had the factory 5.5 HP engine all torn apart, so I didn't even bother to take the parts pile, and when I got it home I realized that the Lovejoy coupler on the pump was stripped...wonder if that was actually all that was wrong with it?! Oh well, the plan was for a new 16GPM pump to speed things up a lil anyways...and of course an electric motor to power it.
    With the whine of the hydraulic pump it won't be as quiet as the electric flywheel splitter, but still a big reduction in noise.
    And just because it will be easy enough to do in the design/build stage, I will have a quick couple setup so that the electric motor can be swapped out for an 8 HP Predator in a few minutes if I need to go split "away" without access to 230v power...but been screwing around with the log lift so long now that I haven't got to the motive mounting yet...soon though.
    The pic is of when I was mocking up things once I decided to go with a longitudal lift, instead of the typical lateral design. I went this way for several reasons...the big one was that the oil tank, and more specifically the tire would need to be moved forward to have room for the typical side lifter...plus I wanted to maintain the ability to use the vertical option when I get those really big logs! You know, the ones that have no business sitting on a log splitter (in one piece anyway)...think Fred Flintstone at the drive in restaurant...here, this one :rofl: :lol:
    [​IMG]
    The longitudal lift will allow me to flip the lift up, then fold and lock it in the storage position whenever I want to split a biggun vertical. Oh, and this is going to be a cable lift too, off of the main ram, no additional plumbing needed.
    Its been a bigger challenge than I thought it would be at first to work out all the lil details and geometry in a way that accomplishes all my goals...one of which is to source as much of the materials as possible from my existing stash of goodies...I have spent some money though...might end up with as much in it as what I have in my Champion (in 2012 dollars) but be something that would cost 4-5 times that much (more?) to have custom built though too.
    Here is my solo pic so far...I'll do better going forward, I promise. No way I can compete with a Kevin in Ohio build thread though! :thumbs:
    The pieces are all just loosely laying there in this pic...I'm much further along than this now.
    IMG_20230708_112130126_HDR.jpg

Last edited: Jul 23, 2023
  2. Stephiedoll

Stephiedoll

Looks interesting and look forward to following the build.

3. Chaz

Chaz

:popcorn:

Oh, since I see Eric hasn't made it here yet.. I'll just leave this here..
    Longitudinal
    :whistle:

;)

4. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

:rofl: :lol:
    I knew it was wrong, but after a few go 'rounds with spell check (and it trying to insert a different word) I gave up...I say it wrong too, so I figure might as well be consistent!
    Good job getting the scoop on E. :thumbs: :rofl: :lol:

Last edited: Jul 24, 2023
  5. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Nice! You could make a kit and sell these suckers. Wood make an awesome addition to many of our machines. No need to retain vertical capability on mine though. :whistle:

6. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

At my current rate of progress I'd be making $0.02/hr :rofl: :lol:
    You probably want to retain the vertical capability on yours...you know, in case your dad wants to use it or something... ;) ;) :D

7. FarmerJ

FarmerJ

That’s risINg to the occasion…

how well do these versions work?

8. walt

walt

Looks good so far friend. Hope you have it done by October we can always use another splitter down here

9. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Boy I hope I have it done by then too...but I wouldn't guarantee it...I really should be working on finishing my garage addition, but it is just to hot for that IMO! :dennis:
    Then there is the 4 wheeler, motorcycle, and all 3 vehicles that need some things done, swap out the wood furnace at my sisters place before burning season, finish the new basement rec room, go :seasoned: and still avoid :heidi:...man I think I need a lil :sleeping:! :D

10. lukem

lukem

Deck the lifting arm with something and it will make a handy work table while in the up position for pieces that need split again.

11. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Exactly what I did...great minds think alike! :handshake:

Last edited: Jul 26, 2023
  12. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

I have nothing to add but I will follow along

13. Screwloose

Screwloose

Did you finalize the dual power source yet ? I'm now considering making the electric power unit separate and complete with its own pump using long hoses to get away from the whine.

14. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

I have a design in mind, but haven't started fab'n that up yet...its next on the list now that I'm close to done with the lift.
    I'm sure that just as with the lift, there will be change orders along the way :whistle:
    I am going to move the motor(s) and pump to the left side (the lift side) and to the front of the hydraulic tank...that will get the pump down low and about as far away as it can practically be from the operator...it also puts the exhaust of the engine pointing away from me.
    I think the existing pump/engine bracket will become a hatchet and pickeroon holder.

15. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Well here is a view of a log splitter that most people don't get to see!
    I was trying to roll it on its side to weld something underneath (too muggy to wear the FR gear) and when I turned around to grab my helmet it went clunk! :picard: Oh well, I used to opportunity to scrape some loose paint underneath :rofl: :lol:
    Fortunately it rained a lot last night and the ground was soft enough that the valve handle just sunk into the yard instead of snapping off! Whew!
    IMG_20230729_140044944.jpg

Marvin, Barcroftb, Horkn and 13 others like this.
  16. Stephiedoll

Stephiedoll

Always wondered. Now I don't have to roll mine over to see.:handshake:

17. FarmerJ

FarmerJ

Rust oleum to the rescue…

18. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Yup, it'll get a coat of rust converter, then an oil based equipment paint of some flavor or another.

19. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Well, I knew the cylinder had 1/2" ports, but what I didn't know is that the holes into the cylinder are only 3/8"!!
    I was planning on upgrading the hoses to 3/4", but looks like I either need to cut the 1/2" ports off and have 3/4" welded on, or just get a new cylinder with 3/4" ports...Rugged Made has one that has a 2.25" ram, so it would make it lightning fast on the return stroke! According to the calculator that I've been using it says it would take it from 8.8 seconds full cycle time to 8.2 seconds.
    Even though I don't want to spend the extra dough, I am tempted to go this route since I'll probably have close to the same money in rebuilding my old cylinder and paying someone to weld new 3/4" connections onto my old cylinder...heck, the new one may even be cheaper in the long run since I can then sell this old cylinder to someone looking for a good used one.
    I called the local hydraulic shop to inquire about the cost to have them convert the ports and install new seals/etc while apart, they quoted me $4-500 o_O was not expecting it to be that high...I can buy the rebuild kit for $50 and do it myself...might run me another $75 to get 3/4" ports and have them welded on by the high pressure steam cert welder dude at work.

I had done some basic measuring to see if the 8 hp Predator would fit where I was thinking of putting it, but didn't actually try it out there, until Monday night...its gonna be tight, but appears that it'll work!
    Just mocking things up here in the pic...
    IMG_20230802_194233653.jpg

Marvin, Horkn, T.Jeff Veal and 9 others like this.
  20. FarmerJ

FarmerJ

For what a new cylinder costs, I’m reconsidering going to my local shop and having them custom build one.

like you found, the work port is 1/2”, but the hole is really 3/8”.

I’m considering having them make an 18” cylinder with dual 3/4” work ports on the cap and a single 3/4” on the rod side,

4” cylinder and a 3” rod.

IMG_0042.png

ETA:

yes, I will let them do the work. Because they will also pressure test the cylinder and certify it for 4000 psi working pressure. Knowing my pump puts out 3600 psi, worth the peace of mind.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2023
    Marvin, Horkn, T.Jeff Veal and 5 others like this.