In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Hats Off

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by JDU, Jul 9, 2024.

1. JDU

JDU

Been meaning to post this for a while. I see a lot of posts here by those who live on smaller properties in neighborhoods in the city, towns and suburbs surrounded with other homes and people. That is where I grew up, and nobody heated with wood. I moved long ago to rural PA and have been heating with wood ever since. I am blessed to live on a 16 acre wooded property , no neighbors, have room to process and store wood, no government ordinance’s regarding the wood pile, smoke etc, which is something I’m sure you have to deal with. I admire and kudos to you guys/gals who live where you do and are firewood scroungers, hoarders and burners. I would too. Hats off to ya!
    :salute:

2. Chud

Chud

I’m in the city limits and realize that at any minute Karen could call the manager about my stacks, smoke or noise.

3. JDU

JDU

My girlfriends name is Karen, but she isn't one. Haha. She loves to split and burn wood!

4. RCBS

RCBS

"just send me to hell or New York City,
    It'd be about the same to me..."

I dunno how the metro area folks do it. Kudos.

5. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Thanks JDU. :handshake:

Luckily I have 4-5 locations to stash my hoard. Still a PITA but I get it done. Kinda thankful I don't have a big place or my hoarding "problem" would be a lot worse! :loco: :crazy: :tree:

Ive seen small yards of some fellow CT FHCers who know how to get a lot of wood in a small yard. If they are reading this they know who they are. Hats off to them! :tip:

Last edited: Jul 9, 2024
  6. Horkn

Horkn

I only have 1 acre, and I can't see how some do it with less land.
    Edit, I have friends with 59+ and 24 acres close that I cut wood from. I do scrounge though.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2024
  7. Backwoods Fellin'

Backwoods Fellin'

I grew up in the backwoods, but after getting out of the service, this job came available. Now I live in the big city and have no issues with my yuppie/hipster neighbors. Might be because they see my 4 deer targets in the back yard, the tree stand, and that beautiful American flag that gets changed out twice a year. They know how I roll and have heeded the visual warnings:D

8. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

I’m in a small burg and the most important thing for me is to not gain the attention of any neighbors with smoke output. Getting on the 3 year plan pretty much resolved that. My one acre is adequate for storing enough for our needs. And there’s zero issues with long huge wood stacks. I think we’re just small enough to be off any radar, for now.

9. Elm-er Fudd

Elm-er Fudd

I have a neighbor that burns evenings and weekends in his garage out back. He cuts, splits, and burns everything the same year….smoke rolls out of his chimney. Several years in a row he has said, looks like you got some wood sold. Reply is always, no, I burned it. He is always amazed because he says he never sees any smoke coming from my stack. I’ve tried to educate him, even offered him dry wood so his can season another year….some people just don’t want to learn.:hair:

10. Backwoods Fellin'

Backwoods Fellin'

Agreed:picard:

JDU, buZZsaw BRAD and eatonpcat like this.
  11. Paul bunion

Paul bunion

I can see the NYC sky scrapers from the street in front of my house.

Scrounging is as easy as calling one of my tree guy contacts and the wood appears in my backyard. Got 1/3 of an acre, never had a problem with neighbors or the town. Dry wood, no smoke, no complaints.