In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Harbor Freight 20-ton-212cc-log-splitter

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by JWinIndiana, Feb 6, 2024.

1. JWinIndiana

JWinIndiana

image_23512.jpg Yes I have a wood splitter problem. I buy or barter for cheap ones and some I fix up and sell, some I pilfer parts off of for other ones. Anyway, I built my own big log splitter years ago and it needs some TLC and long story short, I have had a hankering for the log splitter from HF that splits either way. I did some serious research on this splitter, read hundreds of reviews and actually emailed/texted back and forth with a couple people that have had this splitter for over 5 years. I was convinced, I bought it. I am here to tell you, it is an amazing log splitter!!!!!! First of all it is a dual action splitter. Run the wedge to one end, place your log between the wedge and other end and split, it is funny how I catch myself running the wedge back to one end even though it doesn't have to be. Very fast, will keep one guy on the splitter and one guy bringing rounds busy. Easy starting, powerful, somewhat compact, it hasn't quit on a round yet. Been splitting red oak, some maple, a white oak and some pine. I am here to tell you if you are looking for a good splitter, this fits the bill.
    https://www.harborfreight.com/20-ton-212cc-log-splitter-61594.html

2. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

My first thought is the cylinder is really designed to work in one direction under full load.
    On the return stroke there is going to be less power since the rod of the cylinder takes up surface area on the piston , the piston is held on the rod end with a nut problem here is every time it is under load retracting it is trying to rip the piston off the rod end.

Thanks for the review and keep us posted. Always like to see how different equipment is treating someone.
    Pricewise at about half price compared to others I can see why it might be a good bang for the buck.

3. Jeffrey Svoboda

Jeffrey Svoboda

4. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Im wondering how much wood was split with the five year old ones? For the average burner im sure it'll work but with me splitting over 30 cord annually im wondering how it would hold up.

The cheapskate in me wants one!

5. JWinIndiana

JWinIndiana

The one guy I talked with has an OWB and splits all of his wood with it. I have had it since mid December. I have split easily over 5 cords. Will keep this thread updated. I do know that I still haven't put it on full throttle and it hasn't met a piece of wood it didn't split.

6. dennish

dennish

I think that these HF splitters do not go vertical.

metalcuttr and brenndatomu like this.
  7. JWinIndiana

JWinIndiana

No, this one is horizontal only.

8. yooperdave

yooperdave

Think of the money you'd save on not having to buy (or steal) milk crates! :p

metalcuttr, Eric VW, Skier76 and 4 others like this.
  9. Brad M

Brad M

I have the basically the same splitter sold under the Lumberjack brand. Mines painted yellow and has a slightly different Chinese motor. Bought it at Fleet Farm in Wisconsin about 8years ago. It’s been a really good splitter for me but I only split a couple of cords a year. I had to have the seals in the cylinder replaced a couple of years ago. My only complaint is where the ram goes into the tube that has the wedge, there is an opening around the rod. That opening is prone to gather chips and debris that are REALLY difficult to clean out. I’m always worried that they will pack tight and damage a seal in there. The motor has a fuel shut off valve that I always use to shut the engine down. Never had a problem with the carb or the engine not starting. Oh, one other issue I had. It has a safety switch that I think is for over temp, possibly oil pressure. I’m not sure. Anyway it started to act up and I disconnected it a few years ago.

metalcuttr likes this.
  10. JWinIndiana

JWinIndiana

I encountered the chip problem yesterday. They get packed in there. Going to keep a better eye on that area and clean it religiously. And yep, that is how I shut my small engines with a fuel shut off valve off.

metalcuttr likes this.
  11. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

It is a low oil sensor.

metalcuttr and Brad M like this.
  12. Jonathan Y

Jonathan Y

I was just looking at one of these. I usually use a 3-point splitter run off my tractor's hydraulics, but the tractor pump only puts out something like 8gpm, so it's got a slow cycle time.

Here's my question: it is sturdy enough to support rolling huge rounds on it from a tractor bucket? I never pay any attention to how they rate them in terms of "splits up to 24" round logs. The splitter doesn't know or care how big the round is, and if you've split as much wood by hand as I have, you have a pretty good idea of how to position the log to get the most out of the splitter. But apart from the power of the ram, the splitter has to be sturdy enough to not tip over or snap in half if a big round comes on board. I've used a lot of splitters that were 500-800 pounds, but I've never used one as light as the HF model.

metalcuttr likes this.
  13. JWinIndiana

JWinIndiana

No, it is not for the 36,48" and beyond rounds. If it were the only splitter I owned, I would noodle those rounds into 3rd or quarters and then finish splitting them.

metalcuttr and Jonathan Y like this.
  14. Jonathan Y

Jonathan Y

How about 100 pounds rounds? Let''s say an 18" D x 20" L round of hickory. I'm not asking about splitting power, but whether such a round could be (lightly) tossed or rolled onto the splitter without tipping it over. Those racks don't terribly beefy, but the same can be said about those on splitters costing twice as much.

metalcuttr likes this.
  15. JWinIndiana

JWinIndiana

My grandson and his dad are lifting rounds that make their faces turn red. But I told them to not slam the rounds onto the splitter. Take it easy. They don't beat it up by dropping and abusing the splitter. It's not delicate, but it has limitations. All the red oak, white oak, maple it isn't struggling a bit.

metalcuttr likes this.
  16. Brad M

Brad M

I cut to 20” length and have put 25” diameter white oak on mine with out any issues BUT mine has beefier, welded on type log supports. Same frame that holds the ram but beefier supports.
    B703A4C8-4EC6-4C32-8243-B3BA7A80BA51.jpeg

metalcuttr, FTG-05 and Locust Post like this.