In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Got an interesting id for you all...

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Moparguy, May 30, 2024.

1. Moparguy

Moparguy

This is growing at the edge of the woods behind a rental house. I'm planning on eventually cleaning up this last 10' or so of yard and just leave the large trees. I've never seen one of these and can't even tell you how it got there unless a tenant threw something back there and it sprouted. Thoughts on what it might be and if I should leave it?

PXL_20240530_172445794.jpg

PXL_20240530_172407109.jpg

PXL_20240530_172506690.jpg

PXL_20240530_172532492.jpg

PXL_20240530_172357397.jpg

PXL_20240530_172401876.jpg

Last edited: May 30, 2024
    JDU, Cash Larue, ThomH123 and 12 others like this.
  2. Ronaldo

Ronaldo

I sure don't know but I can say I dont like the looks of it!! I don't like the pokey things it has.:faint:

3. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

Looks like Devil's walking stick. There's a bunch growing at my work.

Cash Larue, ThomH123, JPDavis and 8 others like this.
  4. Moparguy

Moparguy

Just googled it...sure looks like it. I've never heard of it. All of the 1000's of times I've been in the woods I've never seen one, throwing weeds in a pile at the back of a residential yard and I find one. Thanks!

Cash Larue, ThomH123, JPDavis and 8 others like this.
  5. billb3

billb3

Yeah, that looks like something that needs to be introduced to big flame and lots of it.

6. John D

John D

Dam it Eric beat me to it
    It’s a weed and it toxic to humans and pets when eaten
    But consider a shrub

7. Yawner

Yawner

Just discussed this tree with my older brother last week, I was telling him about making walking sticks out of them. He went into his house and brought out a quality walking stick, said a friend whom we both knew who passed last year, had made for him. Said he made several each year and gave them away. He would dig them up and a root would be the handle, as there can be a natural crook in the root from the stem. My younger brother happens to have two of them drying for walking sticks, and he lives in another state. Dried, it's very lightweight. I have found some on my land. They are tall and spindly.

8. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Crazy looking thing.

Now that you know will it be turned into firewood? :D

Cash Larue, JPDavis, Moparguy and 4 others like this.
  9. Sandhillbilly

Sandhillbilly

I’d go the walking stick route if’n your gonna kill it anyway

Cash Larue, JPDavis, Moparguy and 3 others like this.
  10. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I just looked it up. This is copied from google

Uses[edit]
    The young leaves can be eaten if gathered before the prickles harden. They are then chopped finely and cooked as a pot herb.

Aralia spinosa was introduced into cultivation in 1688 and is still grown for its decorative foliage, prickly stems, large showy flower panicles (clusters) and distinctive fall color. These plants are slow growing, tough and durable, do well in urban settings, but bear numerous prickles on their stems, petioles, and leaflets. These plants can be propagated from seeds or root cuttings.[5]

Early American settlers used the plant for its alleged properties for curing toothaches.[6]

The plant was used as a medicine during the American Civil War. In a laboratory study, extracts from the plant showed antimicrobial activity against multidrug-resistant bacteria associated with wound infections. [7]

11. Moparguy

Moparguy

I'm not going to clean that part of the yard until the fall or winter. It's a very low priority. But if it was something cool I would leave it. I might and just see what happens. Thanks!

12. chris

chris

careful now or you will have the whole "practioners of black arts"( medical system ) and their kin ( Big Pharma)up in arms with any mention of wholistic properties. Just the mention of someting that isn't pharmacutically derived drives them nutz.

13. JPDavis

JPDavis

I love it when you guys post these different looking species from back east that I've never seen before. There's just so much out there to learn about.

14. Eckie

Eckie

How big is that one? The pics make.it look rather large... We have lots of them in certain places, tallest I've seen is probably around 6 ft tall, and maybe the size of a paper towel roll tube. Nothing like walking through the woods in a hurry on a burn, not realizing you've gotten into a patch of them, and stradling a crotch high one....

JDU, Cash Larue, John D and 3 others like this.
  15. JDU

JDU

I've always heard it called Devil's Club. Not real common, but where it is, there are a lot. I usually see it in clearcuts and burns.