In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Glass Barometer

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Firebroad, Oct 28, 2014.

1. Firebroad

Firebroad

A friend gave me one of those water-filled barometers years ago. I have noticed since I have been burning that the water rises in the tube all the way up, so that some water drips out. This phenomena occurred both before and after I had the house tightened up. Anyone else have one of those gizmos and notice this? Also, is this any indication that my house is too tight/too draughty?
    barometer.jpg

Attached Files:

wildwest and My IS heats my home like this.
  2. KaptJaq

KaptJaq

It is telling you that your house is tight enough for the inside pressure to drop when the stove is burning. As the stove burns it is sucking air out of the house and up the flue. The house is tight enough that it takes a little while for new air to infiltrate to replace the air that went up the flue. Therefore the pressure in the house drops. I have both indoor and outdoor digital barometers. When the windows are closed and stoves are burning the indoor unit reads consistently lower than the outdoor unit. During the summer they read about the same.

If you still have a good draft and you stove is burning well I see no problem.

KaptJaq

3. Firebroad

Firebroad

Thanks, Jacq.
    Wasn't sure if it was a good thing or a bad thing! I have noticed that once the fire is out, the barometer doesn't return to normal as quickly since the new air sealing was done.
    There is still a bathroom vent and a kitchen vent that would allow enough air in.

4. Certified106

Certified106

Interesting..... Now I want to get one to try out at my house

wildwest likes this.
  5. fox9988

fox9988

+1 KaptJaq

I don't know how sensitive that barometer is but it may indicate the need for a OAK.

bobdog2o02 and wildwest like this.
  6. Firebroad

Firebroad

I wouldn't be surprised. But that won't happen for a while, I don't know who I would trust with drilling through all that stone, or how much it would cost.

7. KaptJaq

KaptJaq

If the stove is burning cleanly and there are no draft problems then there is probably no need for an OAK.

Those liquid filled glass barometers are not calibrated and only indicative of changes in pressure. We don't know how much of a change there actually is. Maybe you can move it down to Florida and let me know what it does when the eye of a hurricane passes overhead. ;)

KaptJaq

Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
    concretegrazer and Firebroad like this.
  8. KaptJaq

KaptJaq

Another thought...

Is the barometer near the stove? If that type barometer gets warm the air in the main sphere expands and gives an artificial "low pressure" indication. This will magnify any pressure change caused by the stove draft. :)

KaptJaq

9. Machria

Machria

Yep, and also the liquid itself heated will expand some as well.

By the way, those things are VERY sensitive. It doesn't take much pressure change to move them.

10. Firebroad

Firebroad

Hmm...not near the stove, it is about 30 ft. away, BUT it is on top of a bookshelf near the ceiling. But I have not noticed it doing anything in warm weather. Doesn't mean it didn't I just didn't notice...:)
    When rain is in the forecast the water rises, but usually will not spill out the top, unless we are in for some serious weather.

11. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

That distance should not make much difference if any. I remember my wife having one of those many moons ago Sue. As I recall, they give a somewhat idea of change but not too accurate. Nevertheless, have fun with it.

12. Flamestead

Flamestead

You can make it a little less sensitive by filling it with more water than shown in the photo.

13. Firebroad

Firebroad

Actually, I had extra water in it--it gets pushed out when I run the stove or a storm is brewing! I just keep it on a plate to collect the liquid.
    Either way, it is a fun instrument to have around. I have an electronic weather station set up. and an old fashioned hygrometer/barometer/thermometer on the wall. Even the electronic weather station gives me inaccurate forecasts sometimes, but they are interesting nonetheless.
    I just wondered if the fact that my insert had an effect on the glass had any significance, as I have never seen any information about it.
    Now, I think I will move it to the back room and see what happens!

14. Firebroad

Firebroad

UPDATE--
    I discovered that if I take the glass down from the top of the bookshelf and put it on a side table the water does not rise up the stem very much; and if I remove it to the adjoining room, it is not affected by the stove at all!
    Things that make you say, Hmmm...:loco: :crazy:

wildwest and Backwoods Savage like this.
  15. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

So Sue, maybe when you get high.....

concretegrazer and Firebroad like this.
  16. OhioStihl

OhioStihl

It is probably the heat of the stove. I had to unscrew my liquid soap dispensers in the house. When the temp would get too hot the soap was forced out of the dispenser.

Firebroad and Certified106 like this.
  17. Firebroad

Firebroad

wOw!

18. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

19. Firebroad

Firebroad

Cute.
    I think this was the one my friend and I were running all over Altoona looking for, when her grandson pulled the one her daughter had off the shelf.
    I think she got one at Hobby Lobby eventually. Of course Cabela's would have it now...:rolleyes:
    ...As far as that glass barometer, I just let the water boil out of it onto a plate. Coincidentally, that was a gift from the same friend!

wildwest likes this.
  20. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

I paid over double that price for mine:headbang:

Firebroad likes this.