In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Getting Lazy Here

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Reloader, Aug 15, 2024 at 2:48 PM.

1. Reloader

Reloader

I’ve got lots of rounds ready to be split with more to be added.
    Rather than split, stack and then move to the wood shed I’m thinking of waiting to split them until I have room in the shed for the splits.
    If I plan this right I can likely move them into the shed this next Spring and not have to burn them until late Winter. 9 months in the shed should give them plenty of time to dry.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

What kind of wood is it?

3. EODMSgt

EODMSgt

I hope you have better luck than I did and that those rounds don't go bad. And your climate in the PNW is different than here in northern New England. I've kept rounds for a year or less many times before, however I was out of the firewood processing life for a couple years due to health issues, so I have had rounds sitting for much longer and with less than stellar results. (The good news is that I was several years ahead with close to 20 cords CSS. The bad news is that I had around 6 cords in rounds and 4' logs just sitting for far too long.) The unprocessed rounds and logs were a mix of red oak, beech, white birch, ash, red maple, silver maple, and a bit of hemlock.

The rounds/logs sat for almost 2 1/2 years (off the ground) and I am now finally processing them. The wood that was (mostly) top covered is pretty decent, and so far, I've only lost some of the silver maple rounds to punk. Unfortunately, the rounds that were uncovered are junk (except for the red oak). The uncovered beech, silver maple, and birch rounds have all gone to punk and I have lost about a cord (so far). In the future, unless I end up with large scrounges/scores, once I get caught up with everything in the wood lot, I plan to do my best to not have large amounts of unprocessed rounds anymore. Better to split them and stack outside (despite the extra work) than lose the unprocessed rounds to punk.

Sandhillbilly, Eric Wanderweg and JDU like this.
  4. billb3

billb3

I've put off splitting rounds until Winter/colder weather , my preferred time to make and stack splits. The rounds even season some. But I haven't batted a thousand keeping rounds around for a lot longer than that.
    I get more primo firewood with stacks of splits than stacks of rounds. Primo wood sure is nice when it is bitter cold out.