In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Frequency of Changing out Gasket Rope

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Nordic Splitter, Jun 29, 2024 at 11:43 AM.

1. Nordic Splitter

Nordic Splitter

Hi All.....My Jotul F600 is 14 years old and I'm having some of the gasket ropes changed out. The Ash Pan Door, the Side Door and then maybe the 2 Front Doors... How often does this need to be done??? Thanks...

2. Ohio

Ohio

Gaskets need replaced as needed. Gaskets will last longer if the stove is only being used sparingly like on the weekends only. If all of the gaskets pass the dollar bill test I’d keep using them. 14 years is much longer than I’d expect any rope gasket to last. I am changing all of the gaskets in my Woodstock fireview after 4 years of use. The loading door can’t be adjusted any tighter because the gasket is compressed and worn.

Dollar bill test.

3. jo191145

jo191145

I have the same issue with my Progress Hybrid. Small gasket with no adjustment. It’s really the only complaint I have with the stove. I could replace that gasket 2-3 times a year if I wanted. It compresses, hardens and stops sealing well. An adjustable latch wouldn’t be that hard to engineer.
    Last year instead of replacing the gasket I added a piece of steel brake line over the pin. When that got loose I started cutting pieces of pistol brass and slipped those on too. I’ll replace the gasket next season and remove the extra pieces. I’ll save them tho :)

4. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Right, the gaskets need to be replaced whenever they need it. That "whenever" can vary a lot. I have changed gaskets at the 1 year timeframe and also have gone as long as 10 years.

5. Ronaldo

Ronaldo

I have been using my Pacific Energy Super 27 for over 20 yrs as a whole house heat source and have replaced the door gasket once I think. Probably due again very soon. Door gasket is the only gasket on this stove. 10 yrs seems pretty reasonable to me.

6. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

14 years you did good. Usually every 3-5 and the dollar bill test works great

BuckthornBonnie likes this.