In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Dump Scrounges

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by buZZsaw BRAD, Aug 11, 2024 at 11:16 AM.

1. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I was at the compost center three times last week and grabbed a bit on each trip. Pushed into the mound and wet conditions made pickings slim. Did manage maybe a 1/4 cord between the visits. Mostly Bradford pear, red maple and mulberry. Always interesting to see what's there and better than nothing. IMG_5896.JPG IMG_5911.JPG IMG_5912.JPG IMG_5913.JPG IMG_5914.JPG If I had more time and no other source for wood I'd haunt the two local dumps for wood.

ThomH123, RCBS, WinonaRail and 12 others like this.
  2. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

Now there's an Eric-esque looking scrounge if I ever saw one ;)

3. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Thats funny. I thought of that when I took the pics. Little by little it adds up. I'm liking these smaller loads than my usual heaping PU fulls. Less stress to store and process.

4. Elm-er Fudd

Elm-er Fudd

I’ve got about 2 cords of Bradford pear on deck for winter of 25-26. It’s plenty dry to burn now so I might sample a couple of armloads this year just to see what it’s like. Have never burned any except a couple chunks in the smoker the last time I smoked some pork belly. Definitely works well for smoking.