In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Dolby Atmos Speaker placement 7.1.2 VS standard 7.2 Speaker Placement for Surround Sound?

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by don2222, Nov 29, 2016.

1. don2222

don2222

Hello
    I am leaning more towards the standard 7.2 placement with the 2 front spacial speakers in each front corner I n the Yamaha Natural Sound Reciever in Pic 1 as opposed to the Dolby Atmos placement with the 2 over head ceiling speakers in Pic 2-3

What do you like? What do you have?

Pic 1 - Standard 7.2 with Yamaha's 2 front spacial speakers.

Pic 2-3 - The Dolby Atmos Speaker Placement with the 2 overhead ceiling speakers.

Attached Files:

2. Boomstick

Boomstick Banned

I got tired of satellite speakers everywhere, I don't have a "theater" so I went with the Bose ceiling (ceiling acts like an enclosure)speakers. I think they were the 791s. They work very well and there aren't ugly speakers everywhere. I run my old Yamaha bookshelf speakers next to my media cabinet with the Bose sub. (Front) My Bose 5 speaker system(satellites) is in storage.

The sound quality is almost as good as satellites, you literally really have to try and tell the difference.

will711 likes this.
  3. Unhdsm

Unhdsm

I have the first set up, but with the height speakers a little low. I plan to raise them and at some point get some SVS prime elevation speakers. DTS:X processesing should manage it, Atmos won't. If I did it again, I would absolutely use in ceiling speakers. Atmos is less forgiving so you want a supported setup PLUS there are no special speakers required for in ceiling heights and Atmos so you can spend a little more for quality, or save a few bucks. Everything outside an in ceiling setup is a compromise on some level.
    BTW object based sound is the real deal.