In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Carrying firewood

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Lennyzx11, Jan 8, 2021.

1. Lennyzx11

Lennyzx11

So tonight, my secret girlfriend “Amy Zohn” dropped off a couple of packages I’d been waiting for.

They were a couple of firewood carrier bags from different manufacturers.

I had had one my good friends had got me one Xmas after I coveted theirs but it seems to be MIA since our move.
    The one we’ve been using has a couple of sticks for handles that are always coming out and pretty tiny.

[​IMG]

I carry stuff from the wood pile to the shop with a rope and pvc pipe contraption in one hand and a pickaroon stuck in an all nighter round in the other.

[​IMG]

But now I have two bags to test. Initial carry in from wood shed to house looks good with both having “ends” so the mess stays in the bag which keeps the mrs happier. She won’t use the rope contraption because it’s “fiddley”.

I know what’s going to happen during the review though. It’s going to boil down to which one is “prettier”!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Warner

Warner

Cool looking hearth! I have a couple wood carriers like that they are handy!

I need to get over to Bennington to hit Henry’s meat market. My FIL used to live in Bennington so we would always stop in there. He moved to PA. What is the disk with the holes in it in the last couple pics? My thought is a trivet?

3. Lennyzx11

Lennyzx11

Ya. The trivet goes On the top then the cast iron “teapot” with water in it to humidify the space a bit.

Henry’s is the best. We just finished a prime rib from them. My wife tries to buy meat only from them. Support the local business kinda thing.

4. JCMC

JCMC

I used to deliver vegetables to Henry's. I would always pick up some steaks to bring home.

5. OhioStihl

OhioStihl

My log tote is an OLD LL Bean leather tote. It has several rips. I’ve been keeping my eyes open for a replacement.

6. JackHammer

JackHammer

I used an old guitar cable with a knot in it as my carrier. I rigged it up similar to yourself, just no PVC. It worked well but it left chips and dirt all over the floor when i would put the pile down.
    For Christmas, I got that black one that you have with the brown handles. I think it works pretty well and keeps the chips off of the floor. Only complaint is that when Amazon said 'canvas', they really mean, plastic. Last I checked, canvas is made of cotton...

7. Warner

Warner

Yup steaks, smoked cheese and some horseradish dill pickles from a place in the adarondacks. Were always staples.

8. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

I have two of the black bags with the brown straps from Amy Zohn too. I think I got them at the beginning of last years burn season. No complaints so far, aside from wishing the handles were just a bit longer.

9. OhioStihl

OhioStihl

Duluth trading had a nice tote several years ago. They were very proud of it and priced as such. I did look on Amazon after reading this tread. There are too many to choose from.

Horkn and Chazsbetterhalf like this.
  10. justdraftn

justdraftn

I have one of those, too. I wore out the handles.
    Went to JoAnns Fabric and got some new strap material.
    Made them longer.
    Much better.

11. Geoff C

Geoff C

the LL Bean waxed canvas bags are nice. Mine are on year 3 with no rips or tears and I constantly overload them

12. Paul bunion

Paul bunion

Once you choose your brand buy two. One on each side is best. You don’t have load them stuffed full. You are carrying more wood than with one and it is much easier on the back

Yawner, Horkn, SimonHS and 4 others like this.
  13. Biddleman

Biddleman

I got one of those Duluth totes for Christmas 2 years ago. No complaints with it.

14. Farmchuck

Farmchuck

Beautiful hearth & stove. What kind of stove is it? What is the longest firewood length it will take?

15. Lennyzx11

Lennyzx11

It is a Lopi Leyden. It has the ash pan underneath that slides out with a pan (with handle) to carry the ashes away. That is our favorite feature of the stove!
    It will take 18” pieces but I usually use 16” so I can stuff it. I added the optional blower to it when I installed it. It will run you out of the living room at 85-90 degree temps with some good red oak piled in.

It also has writing in the inside of the top door which we didn’t know about when we bought it used.

[​IMG]

The fireplace it sits in is a Rumford fireplace that I didn’t know anything about until we bought the house. It was interesting to read about. But I like the stove more than the fireplace for actual heating.

Rumford fireplace - Wikipedia

All in all. After a Jotul. A Vermont Castings, and an old Ben Franklin. This has been our most user friendly stove.

[​IMG]

16. mat60

mat60

Love the stove along with the look of the room.

Horkn likes this.
  17. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

I've been using one of these for several years. Gets the job done.
    CGH1770.jpg

Horkn and Canadian border VT like this.