In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Brought home a Countyline 25 Ton Splitter - Here's Why

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by FreedomFamilyFarms, Feb 3, 2020.

1. FreedomFamilyFarms

FreedomFamilyFarms

This post is recycled from a previous thread linked below. I've added some updates (noted in colored bold font) to explain my reversal of opinion. Here are the highlights:
    • I had to return the first Champion due to poor assembly (missing wheel bearings), the second one wasn't quite right either but I fixed it myself (log cradle upside down). I found out that Home Depot associates (who are top notch at my local store) don't actually assemble these. They contract another company who assembles them.
    • The Champion simply wouldn't start below 25 degrees F. I'm 5'9", 200# and fairly fit and I couldn't pull start it in 15 pulls. For me, this is a deal-breaker because I prefer to c/s/s below freezing whenever possible.
    • The log cradle on the champion is just too small to be useful. Even half of an 18" round wouldn't stay on it while splitting the other half.

Brought home a Champion 27 Ton Splitter - Here's Why

Edits to original post in bold colored font below:

I’ve been hand splitting for several years. I have an 8# Council Tool Maul, a 6# Husqvarna Maul, and a Fiskars X27 splitting axe. This year my forearms have hurt like never before. Looks to be a case of “golfers elbow” that started immediately after splitting some rounds. It seems that this is more common with bad technique and a light tool such as the X27.

Tennis Elbow... from splitting wood.

I use a splitting tire that may also need to be lowered.

The injury had me thinking seriously about a hydraulic splitter. In years past, would set aside the “uglies” and borrow a splitter a couple times each season from a neighbor to finish them off.

The advice on these and many other forums is a splitter in the 25 ton range is plenty. I agree, I’ve never had any trouble with the 25 ton unit I’ve borrowed. So I did what you might be doing, hit the internet and obsessed for weeks over which one to purchase. I thought I’d summarize my findings in case you find yourself in the same position.

I generally use two guiding principles for purchasing tools: “If it’s never too small, its probably too big” and “buy once, cry once”. For this purchase I abandoned the latter principle as a quality American made splitter costs 3 times what a PRC import costs and it’s unlikely my life will ever depend on the splitter. I might split 6 cords in a season so I don’t need a commercial machine (after all I’ve been doing it by hand this long…)

I’m fortunate to have many retailers in the area:
    • Family Farm & Home - Yardmax Full Beam (Briggs & Stratton engine)
    • Tractor Supply Company - Countyline (made by YTL with Kohler engine)
    • Rural King - Black Diamond (made by YTL with Briggs & Stratton engine)
    • Home Depot - Champion (in house engine, Honda clone)
    • Northern Tool - Northstar full and half beam (Honda Engine)
    Lowe’s is close too. At one point a year or two ago I had my eyes on a Dirty Hand Tools model. Seems like those are gone. Lowe’s doesn’t have them and neither do any of the online retailers… They now have a Craftsman model that looked way overpriced compared to the others above. New information on DHT here.

The Yardmax 25 ton full beam was the first I looked at. It’s a substantial machine but the tongue weight really put me off. I’m 5’9” and ~200 # and I wouldn’t have wanted to move that splitter more than 10 feet on a level smooth surface.

Researching the Yardmax led me to their half beam model. It looks to be a well designed splitter but I couldn’t see one locally and the online retailers make you pay return freight if you get it home and change your mind. Once it’s fueled, it’s yours forever. The final strike against the Yardmax was the wimpy stripper. Many reviews mentioned bending them.

I wrote off the Black Diamond because I’d prefer a Kohler over a Briggs all other things being the same which in this case they basically are. The Countyline model has a lot more reviews and information available as well.

So it was down to two models, the Champion 27 ton at Home Depot and the Countyline 25 ton at TSC. I stopped to see each of them several times, one night within 20 minutes of each other to have a better “feel” of how they compared. Ultimately I think either machine is plenty capable. If I didn’t have a veteran discount at Home Depot (10% off of the $1099 price) I would likely have gone with the Countyline. To me they’re that close. In fact, I was waiting at the service desk at TSC to buy the Countyline when I changed my mind. The operator area is really what did it. To me that is one of those things I can never change. The Champion “felt right” and the rest of the details are so close in comparison and price they didn’t really matter.

I would really like to better understand how some of these numbers are calculated. One specification that is altogether missing on every splitter I looked at is the pump rates for each stage of the two stage pump. The good folks on tractorbynet explained that in a two stage pump both “sides” are pumping under low pressure and when a certain threshold is reached the high pressure/low volume side of the pump does all of the work. That makes me think that a very low cycle time might have a very slow second stage… I’d appreciate any education some of you engineer types are willing to share.

Countyline Pros:
    • Kohler engine. First person accounts on FHC of easy cold starts (I usually split below freezing)
    • Excellent kickstand & stable platform
    • Much larger optional log catcher.
    • 15% off sale at TSC. Out the door price $818.54. Added log catcher (ship to store) for $53.49. Total price $872.03 including tax.
    Countyline Cons:
    • Online complaints about part availability for YTL
    • Slightly less room for operator
      • Beam to inner wheel 14.5”, edge of cradle to wheel 12”
      • 4” of splitting area impeded by hydraulic tank/axle
    • Slightly harder to move by hand
    Champion Pros:
    • More “room” for operator:
      • Beam to inner wheel 18”, edge of log catcher to wheel 12”
      • 4” of splitting area impeded by hydraulic tank/axle
    • Marginally better specs (engine displacement, tonnage, cycle time)
    • Easy to move by hand (wheeled it out of the store myself)
    • Shorter stroke (less time spent in transit, I cut at 21-22”)
    Champion Cons:
    • Engine has less track record
    • Manual states need to use ATF III for below freezing temps. (Seems like this is not a real world issue, time will tell…)
    • Pins for kickstand and horizontal/vertical position are straight pins with cotter pins to retain them. Already purchased square lock pins to replace them
    • Would not start cold (15 pulls below 25 degrees F)
    • Log cradle is not adequate for larger splits and would require modification or replacement

[​IMG]

List Prices not including discounts
    [​IMG]

I have a busy couple weeks ahead. Once things settle down a bit I'll assemble and split a trailer full of hackberry I scrounged last weekend. Will post a proper review after. :yes:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
    PatrickNY, WinonaRail, mat60 and 9 others like this.
  2. farmer steve

farmer steve

FFF. When you assemble the crankcase it takes 21 ounces of oil. Follow the instructions for the hydraulic reservoir fill and bleed of the cylinder. The book doesn't tell you to screw the dipstick in to check level. My last splitter you didnt have to. I called the splitter mfg to confirm. Good luck.

3. In the Pines

In the Pines

you basically fit it till it's coming out and than put the dipstick back on.

mat60, amateur cutter, XXL and 4 others like this.
  4. farmer steve

farmer steve

That's what it says but the engine book says 21 ounces. Just did mine and I only had about 15 ounces in when it started to run out. I put the dipstick back in and pulled it over a few times. When I pulled the dipstick it showed low. Added the last few ounces and it was good to go.

5. In the Pines

In the Pines

I can't recall if I did the same thing you did. I'm pretty sure I checked it last time and oil was flowing out so I think I did it right.
    I seem to recall that I need a new quart when I do my next change. I think 21oz = overflowing.
    I haven't changed it since my initial change due to not hoarding in several months and didn't have the hours in for one yet.
    I will next time I use it though since it's been in for extended time now.
    Can't wait to do it either, I get to install my drainzit drain plug.

mat60, amateur cutter, XXL and 2 others like this.
  6. dahmer

dahmer

Yep, 21 ounces, mine says not to screw in plug just insert until it’s sitting on the threads. County Line 21 ton. Haven’t found a chunk of would yet I couldn’t split.

mat60, amateur cutter, XXL and 5 others like this.
  7. FreedomFamilyFarms

FreedomFamilyFarms

Assembled and tested today. Comes complete with oil and hydraulic fluid. Assembly was simple. There’s not a lot to screw up ;-) I did discover how quickly the kickstand retracts with my index finger .

Immediately installed log catcher. Not sure why anyone would want to run one without it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I slowly pulled the starter cord twice until I felt resistance then pulled quickly to start. Fired up on first pull (had been garaged in storage). Will test a few more times this week when cold.

Ran through a few rounds of hackberry in horizontal and vertical position. Very stringy stuff. Splitter performed well. Cycles are as fast as I could want them to be.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PatrickNY, mat60, WinonaRail and 13 others like this.
  8. FreedomFamilyFarms

FreedomFamilyFarms

TSC running another sale through 2/17. $100 off.

[​IMG]

9. dahmer

dahmer

I have the 21 ton, only complaint is yours, that front stand will get you. I went to Harbor Freight and bought a cheap trailer jack. It won’t bite you and much easier to level the splitter.

mat60, amateur cutter, XXL and 6 others like this.
  10. Finzwake

Finzwake

Wow.. the Tractor Supply stores here in NJ offer the same $100 off but start at a higher $1,099

CountyLine CountyLine-25 Ton Log Splitter, Kohler SH265 6.5HP Engine, 126151799
    SKU: 126151799
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Product price
    $999.99

Was $1099.99
    Save $100.0

mat60, amateur cutter, XXL and 7 others like this.
  11. dahmer

dahmer

I’ld show them. Around here they will come down on all their feed prices if you show them what the price is at Rural King.

12. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Yup, regional pricing...don't you just love it?! :hair:

13. billb3

billb3

Same higher price here.

I've had tennis elbow and golf elbow at the same time from throwing splits left handed and backwards off a low to the ground splitter up into a low dump body truck. Fortunately I had enough done I could call it quits for the year and stacking one handed wasn't so bad. Hurt like ate chee double hockey sticks though.

14. FreedomFamilyFarms

FreedomFamilyFarms

Processed a few more rounds of Hackberry yesterday (lighter colored wood). I admit I like being able to “block” the splits so easily. Was hit and miss when splitting by hand.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hackberry has been a good test for the splitter. I’ve had to rotate the rounds 180 degrees to get through the string a few times. I did have one knot that required some readjustment before it split. The rounds are very heavy (20 inch diameter, 21 inches long) so I’ve been operating in vertical mode. Not bad but I seem to bang my fingers more in that position.

Plenty more testing to do but I’m confident this is a keeper. Starts right up when I remember to set it to full throttle and choke it.

[​IMG]

15. FreedomFamilyFarms

FreedomFamilyFarms

Hit another jackpot of free wood. White oak and hickory. Asplundh cut it so lots of variation in shape and length.

[​IMG]

Splitter hasn’t found anything it won’t cut, even some sturdy crotches. Busting 30” diameter rounds at 21” long.

Had some help with the stacking

[​IMG]

One more load to haul this weekend.

16. In the Pines

In the Pines

countyline is a beast of a splitter for what it is.

17. FreedomFamilyFarms

FreedomFamilyFarms

Today’s load was smaller. We split it on site with a friend’s 37 ton Northstar. I think that thing could split granite.

Performed the ~5 hour oil change. Refilled with Mobil 1 Syntec 5w30.

Finished the last of the Hackberry with the CountyLine. Stuff tears more than it splits. Might split better dry but I want it in the shed and off the ground based on feedback elsewhere on FHC.

[​IMG]

Need about 2 1/2 cords more to fill up.

I did find a design choice I don’t care for, the channeled beam. Debris can get caught in both directions and if you’re running fast (i.e. with a buddy) it’s easy for the debris to pile up. I had to dig out the end of the beam with the pickeroon and crushed a piece of wood against they cylinder. Not a big enough problem to change my purchase decision given the price but a flat beam is definitely a better design.

PatrickNY, WinonaRail, mat60 and 6 others like this.
  18. In the Pines

In the Pines

yep the channel beam is a bad design. Watch for metal wear on it as well.
    Debris likes to get under the wedge and pushes it up into the metal lip.
    I spray mine down with red grease, it only works for so long, attracts debris, gets grease on your gloves when wiping the debris out.
    "shrug" it's a somewhat cheap option, you might find something you like better. There was a thread going here about what people use to keep theirs
    lubed up.

19. Kimberly

Kimberly

Another future FHC member. The twins were great helpers when they were young; when they reach their mid teens, not so much.