In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Bought a new vehicle lately? How'd it go?

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by RCBS, Aug 22, 2024.

1. RCBS

RCBS

My pickup recently met an untimely demise. All parties ok, but the truck didn't make it. Am currently shopping a replacement. Just had a dealer sell something out from under me while waiting for insurance funds to arrive. I get it, but that's a **** move. Two days was the time I needed. Me being the particular type, I know exactly what I want. Given all the shopping tools available, I figured I would have an easier time than I am. Currently talking to a dealer in TN because A: they have what I want. B: they are thousands cheaper than the exact same spec here in OH.

Have you bought a new vehicle recently? How was it for you? Any tips/secrets to share? How did you find what you were looking for? How did the dealer treat you?

Moparguy, EODMSgt, Eric VW and 6 others like this.
  2. lukem

lukem

I don't have any advice to offer on dealing with dealers.

If you look at the manufacturer's profits last quarter I think a price drop is coming in the new market. Nissan's profits were down 99%. Ford, Stelantis, and GM dropped steeply as well. I would hold out as long as you can even if that means buying a temporary truck. I need to buy at least one new vehicle next year. I was mostly likely going to buy used but we'll see how this shakes out.

EODMSgt, Horkn, Eric VW and 6 others like this.
  3. RCBS

RCBS

The models I am looking at are being heavily discounted in some areas and not in others. Coupled with manufacturer low interest rates (have even seen some at zero, but not many) makes for a tantilizing deal. Interest deals expire at end of month. Model is being refreshed and the 25's are already rolling as far as I can tell. (not yet at dealers). I'm fairly certain they are working on clearing 24 inventory now. Unsure if waiting for them to apply deals to 25s would work out well or not. Could try to wait for further price reductions on 24s, but some of them are already more than 10% off sticker. Manufacturer will want to clear old inventory, so they will hold deals on the 'new' versions, me thinks.

I just had one send back a 'quote' that was hand written on a 4 square. LMAO I gotta try to salvage a deal though as their asking price is ridiculously low. I am not someone that a car dealership enjoys trying to sell a car. On one hand I'm a quality customer because I have good credit and need some finance. Other hand I am the type to seek out third party quotes on manufacturer's extended warranties and I need no GAP insurance. Dealerships make monies off of both of those. They will only make money off of price over cost and whatever they get for finance kickback from me. I'm sure they prefer to hit all the boxes instead. Being that they have a low asking price, they are gonna count on screwing me in F&I dept. Not gonna happen.

EODMSgt, Horkn, Eric VW and 3 others like this.
  4. FarmerJ

FarmerJ

I placed my order on 8/8/22. It arrived 12/27/22.

I took delivery 1/7/23.

we took 2 days to nail down the specs and what options to make sure I got exactly what I wanted at that time.

namely a F150 with at least a 2500 lb payload.

and my sale rep was awesome over it.

I stopped in the dealership that day for an unrelated item and she asked me how the truck was she new I’d bought in 2/22.

I told her honestly I felt ripped off and lied to and that I tell people not to go to that dealership anymore.

she asked me to sit at her desk and then she grappled me and went in and talked to a sales manager.

he’d pulled the sales record, told her to make sure to order a specific truck, make the deal and basically take my truck back “across the board” and place the order that should have been done in February.

then he explained to me that the salesman from the last truck was no longer with them as of around April.

so they really made things right.

I got 50% off on the tonneau cover and bed wheel well liners as well when they did the dealer prep.

I was happy with the way they fixed the problem and despite the supply line issues in 2022, I got my truck in 4 months still.

EODMSgt, RCBS, Eric VW and 3 others like this.
  5. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

NYH1 just bought a truck, maybe he'll chime in.

EODMSgt, RCBS, Eric VW and 2 others like this.
  6. Jeffrey Svoboda

Jeffrey Svoboda

Consider buying from the dealer you'll take it to have your warranty work and recalls completed. They might treat you a little different in the long run.

The last dealer i worked at. If you didn't buy the vehicle there, you wouldn't get a loaner if you brought it in for service.

EODMSgt, RCBS, Eric VW and 5 others like this.
  7. NYH1

NYH1

I just bought a new F-250, picked it up this past Monday. I've driven Mopar's the last 22 years. Wanted to try something different. Was looking at entry level model (WT/LT, XL ect.), 3/4 ton's from Chevy/GMC 2500 and Ford in the mid $50k range.

There were very few trucks in my area that were in my price range, most were way more. I test drove a GMC and really liked it, a lot. The salesman was a clown though. He didn't feel the need to return phone calls or text messages when he said he would....at all.

Went and test drove the F-250. The saleswoman was great, gave me more for my trade-in and she came off the sticker price way more than the GMC guy would. So I went that route.

NYH1.

EODMSgt, Horkn, RCBS and 4 others like this.
  8. FarmerJ

FarmerJ

I just thought of this…

don’t necessarily think what you can build on the website is what the dealer can build in their order system.

often times, it’s got better options for you in not needing full packages to get certain features.

EODMSgt, Horkn, RCBS and 4 others like this.
  9. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Dealers mostly suck… Try to get you and hold you in office; here it’s cheaper to buy from Jersey area with less rust than locally. Save thousands with 3 year old vehicles in better condition

Horkn, RCBS, stuckinthemuck and 5 others like this.
  10. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

That's true...and I can't swear to it, but it seems to me that certain large "power dealers" (especially with trucks) seem to be able to get things that other dealers can't, options wise...or maybe its just a more knowledgeable salesperson, I dunno...
    Good move...no salt exposure down there! (or are you buying new?)
    Yup, I try REALLY hard to not deal with dealers, especially new car dealers, used car places only on rare occasion, usually small one-man type places....having been on that side of the desk once upon a time, I have no stomach to play the games that many of them play. I didn't do it then, won't now...that's why I quit, I knew I wasn't cut throat enough for them, and would have probably got the axe sooner or later...I did have high CSI scores though, so maybe that helped...they did offer me a position in the service dept when I put my notice in, but I had other plans lined up already, so we parted on good terms. The dealer owner was a good guy all in all.
    And yes, buying 1-2-3 year old used (factory certified can be a good deal sometimes) from a state below the rust belt is best plan, IMO.

Horkn, RCBS, Eric VW and 3 others like this.
  11. Skier76

Skier76

We’ve purchased two vehicles from CarMax. Both times, a very easy process. First time we went to look/test drive. About two hours later, we left in a new (to us) vehicle. No haggling, no BS, no talking to a manager, no I’m here to take advantage of you finance manager.

The second vehicle was our 2020 Ridgeline we picked up in the fall of 2022. It came from Georgia and had to be shipped. It ended up taking a week or two longer to get here, so they waved the shipping fee. The windshield was cracked in transit and it was replaced. There was some damage to the composite bed that wasn’t in the initial pictures; fixed at no cost.

Did we pay a bit more vs. going to the dealer and doing the Texas Two Step? Probably. But the overall experience made it worth it.

RCBS, Eric VW, JimBear and 2 others like this.
  12. RCBS

RCBS

Got a deal done Saturday. Ended up being fairly local and scored some free service vouchers after hitting it off pretty good with the GM of the dealership. There is a little hangup with delivery to me, but I am assured it is being handled expediently. Straight up sale with about a 7% discount. Used manufacturer finance. Did also purchase manufacturer extended protection plan. (I had drawn quotes from 3rd party sellers prior to and the dealer was within $50 on their opening offer, so they got the sale. I did purchase it seperately with a check) F&I guy seemed mildly perturbed because the GM had setup my proposal and hadn't left him much room to squeeze me. I chat these folks up when I have to see them. Found out he was a motorpsycho rider and had my 'in'. Then asked how he ended up in F&I and he told me he'd started out in service department. We shared some war stories and I think by the time I was signing he wasn't upset he couldn't put me through the wringer anymore. Background...GM named Mark has been at dealership for 34 years. His father also ran an auto dealership his whole life. I'm guessing getting him by some chance on my internet inquiry is what made the sale happen. Happy to have met him. I think he liked me too as I got first five maintenance visits for free and a 15% discount in their parts room. (they have some accessories that I am eyeing) Compared to my experience in 2021, this one was much better. I got semi-played on the 21 by a very creative sales manager. He didn't get me for any extra junk, but took away my bargaining power on asking price. Made for a harsh negotiation on a trade. I learned.

Skier76, EODMSgt, Chvymn99 and 9 others like this.
  13. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

Congrats, Let's see a picture once you get it!

Chvymn99, wildwest, Horkn and 4 others like this.
  14. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Sounds like you found a unicorn!
    Congrats!

Chvymn99, wildwest, Horkn and 5 others like this.
  15. RCBS

RCBS

It was a process. Contacted at least 5 dealers until I found this one. I agree. I found a unicorn because I was looking for a unicorn truck. Did not get the truck by the way. lol Particular color was extremely rare in certain trims. Ended up with secondary choice, which was still difficult to lay hands to spec'd as I wanted. Honestly glad I did not get my first choice after viewing the secondary in person. Pictures do it no justice. My first choice was a 'tough' color. Since I couldn't get that, I went with 'pretty' because in my world a truck has to look either or and nothing in between. Already dropped $75 on new shiny maker stuff. I like to maintain my vehicle's finish, so did not opt for high dollar ceramic protection. My first Tacoma never had a buffer to touch it in 15 years and I used to get compliments on it well beyond ten years. It only ever spent about 7 nights indoors it's whole life.

EODMSgt, Chvymn99, wildwest and 4 others like this.
  16. RCBS

RCBS

Only one I have so far. They have a bright red also, but I am self banned from 'red' vehicles after enduring a pontiac back in the 20th Century. The metal flake in this 'cardinal' red is stunning in person. It is a tri-coat paint and carries an upcharge. Have an interesting twist for the looks pending sales of some surplus Tacoma parts that I have collected through the years.

[​IMG]

Skier76, EODMSgt, Chvymn99 and 5 others like this.
  17. JRHAWK9

JRHAWK9

I have a method that works very well for me, when -ordering- a new vehicle. Both times when I took delivery I had the finance person questioning how I got such a good price. LOL You have more leverage when ordering vs one in stock. A lot of people want it now, whereas I am willing to wait if it means saving thousands of $$$.

I build what I want on the manufactures website. Save the build and take note of the build number. I then use that build number and send out emails to all the dealers you are willing to drive to. They can pull up the exact build on their end. Tell them this is the build you want, no exceptions and you want their best price. Then I wait and play one dealership's price off the other till there is just one left standing. I don't even set foot into a dealership when it comes time to talk prices. I do that in the comfort of my own home. I play in my playground, not the dealerships. The last car I ordered new (2021) I sent out 26 emails to 26 different dealers in WI and N IL. Out of those 26, I only had 3 or 4 who where serious and wanted to "play". The others were at or near MSRP and made no real effort to earn my business. Like I mentioned above, the finance lady questioned how I got it for such a good price. I made her squirm even more when I told her I had a $500 ambassador coupon to use as well. She was all concerned that it was coming off what they get for the car and she seemed very concerned. She walked out and had to talk to someone about it. Once she found out they get reimbursed by the manufacture for it she was much more willing to take it. LOL I also did the same thing with their 10yr/100K $0 deductible warranty. I got that for a very good price and had it agreed upon before I took delivery. One doesn't have to purchase that from the same dealership you buy the vehicle from.

The car is 3 years old now and has 24,000 miles on it. According to KBB it's worth $2,100 less than what I paid for it 3 years ago.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2024
    Skier76, wildwest, Horkn and 5 others like this.
  18. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

Very nice looking truck my friend!

wildwest, Horkn, RCBS and 2 others like this.
  19. JRHAWK9

JRHAWK9

Generally speaking, IME, photos never do tri-coat colors justice. I have a car that has a tri-coat color and photos don't do it justice. I HATE the color in photos but really like it in person.

wildwest, Horkn, RCBS and 3 others like this.
  20. Barcroftb

Barcroftb

Beautiful truck! Congrats! Would be interested in hearing your thoughts after living with it for awhile. I’m seriously interested in a Frontier as well.

wildwest, Horkn, RCBS and 2 others like this.