In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Bannon Trailer lousy tires solved.

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Sourwood, Dec 4, 2021.

1. Sourwood

Sourwood

My YT video on my Bannon trailer. When I was looking into them, there was no videos, so I made a quick one three years ago.
    The flaw in this trailer, is the wheels and tires. Some newer reviews had comments about Gorilla Carts using floatation tires.

Gorilla seems to be mainly a Canadian item sold at Princess Auto. The farm store Orscheln sells them too, but they are nearly gone around Indiana. This is how I spent my day......

Dok440, M2theB, Horkn and 4 others like this.
  2. Horkn

Horkn

Those look beefier and like they will not sink in as much on soft ground. Gorilla brand is all over the place, from what I've seen.

On my small gorilla cart ( much smaller than this one), the tires were the weak spot. I replaced all 4 tires and wheels. The second set of non gorilla brand didn't work much better and cracked only after a short time. The last pair I tried, work great and have held up. I'll get another pair of those because they work.

M2theB likes this.
  3. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Are they plastic or something?

Horkn and M2theB like this.
  4. Horkn

Horkn

The stock ones were rubber, and Chinese. The second set, rubber and Chinese, and the ones that work, are rubber, and Chinese too:rofl: :lol: the ones that don't work out, are thin rubber and started cracking within months, where the ones that do work, and hold air are definitely heavier ply.

The good ones are ribbed. For the carts pleasure:rofl: :lol:

5. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

VS what, classic "lawn n garden" tread?
    I replaced the junk "wheelbarrow" tires on my elcheap plastic yard cart a few years ago and bought the wider replacements from this place..."Glens Surplus" in Shelby Ohio...AKA "The Shelby Mall" (Shelby is a small country town, and Glens has EVERYTHING! I'm sure MAF143 can vouch)
    They used to have almost fire sale prices, but ever since his X wife took her "half", his prices went up some...I bought these a couple years back, and they were cheaper then, but even now probably not a bad price? The nice thing is they will change the wheels to ball bearing, or bushings and/or change the axle size for you too (used to be free, now?) if they are not bolt-on type wheels.
    13x5.00-6 Tube Type Turf Tread Tire -2 Ply (on Rim) 3/4" x 3" CH / Hub Length | eBay

Last edited: Dec 5, 2021
  6. Horkn

Horkn

The crappy ones are more aggressive looking.
    These are the ones on it originally. Screenshot_20211205-123848.png

"GORILLA CARTS 4 cu. ft. Steel Utility Cart-GCG-2140 - The Home Depot" https://www.homedepot.com/p/GORILLA..._l8owR6zuvPNKn1FFdIaAtmzEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

brenndatomu likes this.
  7. Yawner

Yawner

Sourwood, I was just looking at buying this trailer yesterday and thought to myself that I don't like those skinny, double wheels/tires. Your video, nor your post, mentions WHY you do not like these wheels/tires. Please expand on that, as replacing these 4x will add an additional $200 to the trailer cost.

I'd also like to know... the tailgate can be lowered to behave as a ramp. Do you know if one can roll large hardwood rounds up that ramp or is it too steep?

Lastly, do you have any idea why that trailer comes with the skinny, double wheels? What is the purpose vs. a single large wheel/tire?

TIA!

Horkn likes this.
  8. Sourwood

Sourwood

Yawner The skinny wheels are great for weight distribution, but are cheap construction. There is always several of them that leak. The valves and grease zerks are difficult to get to. They are an odd size that makes finding replacement inner tubes impossible to obtain.

Why they continue to be outfitted with them escapes me. Nearly every product review on Amazon and Northern Tool, has a complaint on them.

the tires have Gorilla Carts on the sidewalls, so the Bannon line doesn’t want to advertise them is my feeble guess.

the rear gate does indeed drop down, and I have rolled large rounds into it that way.
    it will hold a lot of weight. The chainsaw presses are very good. The tool holders on the side are handy as well.

If you planned to have it shipped, I recommend going to the Tri cam industries site and call them to get the Gorilla model which is equipped with the floatation tires.

I didn’t elaborate on the reason because it is the main point of problems with Bannon owners. My newest vid was about the solution to the problem.

my original vid was the only one on YouTube for a long time, aside from the NT promotion video.

Yawner, Horkn and brenndatomu like this.
  9. MAF143

MAF143

Yes they have a ton of stuff there and as you say, the prices used to be awesome. They have become somewhat "competetive" these days and the prices aren't what they used to be. I have bought lots of stuff there over the years from belts, rope, tires, metal stuff, random gas tanks, mower blades, army surplus, but find myself going there less and less as prices have gone up. Still some good deals to be had there, but it's usually on strange stuff. The tire shop that used to be around the corner from our house in Iberia wouldn't mount mower tires from there because they were always squashed flat and was next to impossible to get the beads to mount. Smitty would just tell them to get some "round" tires... LOL His place was one of those spots with 3 guys sitting in rocking chairs by the woodstove while he worked and the BS flowed. It was always fun stopping in there.

Horkn and brenndatomu like this.
  10. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

You would have thought that one of those old timers would have said, "here, hold my coffee n watch this" while he whipped out a can o ether...:startled: :BrianK: :rofl: :lol:

11. MAF143

MAF143

Smitty was one of the old timers and grew up in the shop as his dad, also Smitty, had started it way back. They had many cans of ether and even one of those tire bazookas... He knew all the tricks, just hated flat tires from Glenn's... LOL He sold a ton of tires there and always treated us very well (along with everyone else). My wife went to school with him and his brother and whenever I would stop in he would always ask "how's the princess doing?" He was a character and we always had lots of laughs... Just an all around great guy.

Horkn and brenndatomu like this.
  12. dan8152

dan8152

Great post! I wanted to buy one of those trailers, but the 8 skinny duel tires turned me off. One rock in between will cause grief. Once they offer it with more robust set of 4 tires I’ll get one. My yutrax will do for now. Maybe the gorilla can be purchased in the USA? All I see in my area is the bannon one

Horkn likes this.