In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Ash and ye shall receive

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Skier76, Jun 20, 2024.

1. Skier76

Skier76

I was cruising Marketplace by the fire pit the evening before a day off. Found a local score that listed free firewood with one pic…appeared to be hardwood, so I reached out.

I was first in line and got the go ahead to pick up. This was a solid score. The homeowners had a number of trees taken down and bucked. They had fire pit wood already and a lot of other project that the wood on the ground was preventing from happening. It was mostly ash with some cherry. There was also some maple and oak in another part of the yard. Oh, and the husband offered to help with loading my truck. I ended up with three loads. It was getting really warm and I had limited space to store the wood. They were kind and understanding and indicated they had a few others interested.

First load:
    IMG_9724.jpeg IMG_9725.jpeg

Used the tractor to help move the wood to the back part of the yard. Unfortunately, I overloaded the trailer during the later part of unloading the second load. Had to finish up with the wheel barrow on load #3.
    IMG_9726.jpeg

Some of the Cherry
    IMG_9727.jpeg

Load 2:
    IMG_9728.jpeg

Final load with the wheelbarrow. Homeowners were kind enough to let me leave it at their place in between trips.
    IMG_9729.jpeg

Here it is stacked up on three pallets. I’m estimating just over a cord. I still need to process this. We put an extension on our patio that’s a nice fire pit area. I’ll have to cut these rounds a bit shorter to fit in the fire pit (Solo Stove Ranger).
    IMG_9731.jpeg

Feel very fortunate with this one! Some really good firewood, very helpful home owners and close by. It was very warm out, but the positives outweighed the heat.

2. Yawner

Yawner

Like the idea of leaving a wheel barrow there between trips because it obligates them to you getting the wood. I always hate to see a homeowner cut logs into rounds because they rarely are uniform and rarely at the my desired length of 16 inches but yours are not too bad.

Skier76, John D, brenndatomu and 2 others like this.
  3. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

Nice scrounge!

4. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Excellent. A good mix too.

WoodPirate, Skier76, John D and 3 others like this.
  5. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Nice stuff there Glenn! Was this local?

Skier76, John D and brenndatomu like this.
  6. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Great score. Cherry is always a bonus. Love cutting and burning it, the smell is fantastic.

7. John D

John D

Nice score

buZZsaw BRAD and Skier76 like this.
  8. Skier76

Skier76

Thanks Brad! Yes, about 10 minutes from me. It was North Haven; but the side near the Mt. Carmel/QU. Lots of woods back there!

John D and buZZsaw BRAD like this.
  9. CutSplitStack

CutSplitStack

Great
    Great score, love the cherry!

Skier76, buZZsaw BRAD and John D like this.