In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Are you Gen X? Want to do a little time travelling?

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by RCBS, Jun 13, 2023.

1. RCBS

RCBS

lol

I absolutely love this video. The first time I watched it I recognized nearly every single image shown. A compilation of movie and music pop culture from my formative years (I turned 14 in 1990). The images are fun to see, but even more fun are the memories they unlock. I can remember going to some of these movies at the theater. I was super pumped for Batman to come out. Went to 1st available matinee. Had to pay my sister $10 to drive me there. I won tickets on the local radio to go see Ghostbusters 2. Got two tickets so I invited my Dad as his birthday present. He won a door prize by knowing what kind of car Joe Bob Briggs drove. lol. Good stuff. Admittedly, if going by ratings I saw much of this at probably too early an age, but it was the 80s and we had HBO at home.

I hope this can bring back some good stuff for you too.

A little trivia about the song played...it was turned down by Whitney Houston, Belinda Carlisle recorded it, but did not release it so the couple that wrote it decided to perform it themselves.

John D, spotted owl, Sean and 8 others like this.
  2. FarmerJ

FarmerJ

I won’t even go to my high school reunion…

John D, spotted owl, Sean and 7 others like this.
  3. Chud

Chud

Lol, I’ve never been invited to one

It could have been 79 or 80. I was at a friends house and the radio station was giving away copies of damm the Torpedoes to the lucky callers. My friend had a push button phone and won 3x. There was only one rotary phone in my house, so the push button phone was coolest technology I had ever seen. The push button phone was the ticket to winning things from the radio station giveaways.
    We had one b&w tv that had Lawrence Welk or some other olds crap that was on one of the 3 stations. My clock radio had rock.
    Now anything you can think of is your hand and necks are always bent.

John D, spotted owl, Sean and 7 others like this.
  4. RCBS

RCBS

I had rotary. I found that you could dial all but the last number and just lay the phone down. There was no auto disconnect when you did not finish dialing. Hear the right song, run to phone and spin that last number! Not near as anxiety inducing as the radio DJ who won't shut up during begining of a song you are trying to record onto tape.

Eric VW, John D, spotted owl and 6 others like this.
  5. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

I'd love to relive the 80's, good times.

Eric VW, Stinny, John D and 6 others like this.
  6. RCBS

RCBS

I sometimes struggle when trying to explain how Rad the 80s were to the young ones. They seem unable to grasp the amount of personal freedom that was enjoyed.

Eric VW, John D, Sean and 8 others like this.
  7. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Hang in there and listen to the story Eddie tells. Hits home for me 100%. I had pages of him doing tricks, torn out from magazines, hanging on my wall.

Eric VW, John D, Horkn and 4 others like this.
  8. Hammerhead20

Hammerhead20

"Look Ma................no hands !!!!!!!"

spotted owl and Horkn like this.
  9. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Yes

spotted owl, Horkn, RCBS and 2 others like this.
  10. yooperdave

yooperdave

Heck.....you should try explaining the 60's!!!! :picard:

Eric VW, spotted owl, JimBear and 3 others like this.
  11. Dok440

Dok440

That was incredible. I knew all of them. I don't keep up with anything these days, music or movies. How did we do it?

JD Guy, spotted owl, Horkn and 2 others like this.
  12. RCBS

RCBS

I only have archives to peruse. No personal data.

13. RCBS

RCBS

He's very correct. I had a great convo with my long time best friend's sister yesterday touching on this subject. I described our generation to her as "feral", but in all the best ways. Character development differing from most others due to non-chalent parenting. Forced to develop our own views based on visceral experience and peers. I am so very glad to have been a free range kid.

On the BMX stuff...I was never a great rider, so the stuff in this movie was the stuff of heroes for me. It's held in very high regard by myself and quite a few I know. The 80s gave kids movies about how they could succeed, win, overcome, create, explore and they didn't need adults to help them do those things. The list is exhaustive, so I won't go there but my personal favortie example is The Goonies.

This one had to have inspired millions of kids with bicycles. I know I wanted to be able to ride like Cru did.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2023
  14. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

I used to do the one starting the credits scene and the one @ :55 and 2:05. Most of our "crew" could too. Probably still could if they made a front wheel that would hold under my 185#. :whistle::rofl: :lol: I still have my GT in the basement. Kind of a time capsule. The market on them is insane. Check out Gen X bikes on other social media's if you have any. Many many thousands of dollars sitting here:
    9D143684-D4AF-4447-B644-DBA5C9B7FE3E.jpeg

15. RCBS

RCBS

Spoiled! lol

My parents were not inclined to spend big money on a bicycle for me. (I had a four wheeler and other stuff) I rode Huffys. I did manage to end up with one that had Mags, freewheel, pegs and a spinner neck. It was still very cheap, in comparison. I could do some very basic tricks on it but nothing at all impressive. My best skill in my toolbag was wheelies. Nothing but great memories from my time as a BMX bandit. We had 8 kids in the neighborhood that all rode together. The three mile trip to the convenience store would usually see half a dozen of us making the journey almost daily in summer. I still remember the first time I was able to peddle the whole way up the biggest hill. A huge personal victory for me, at 10.

16. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

It was a 4 mile ride for me to school and I had 1 friend that rode it frequently with me. We met 2 more that lived in town. Man, those were the days. I started with a Huffy Stu Thompson bought from my best/neighbor friend and got my other friends GT after he got a new bike. Never had a brand new one. Then I saved up money from picking cherries at the local farm to put parts on it, like pegs and the gyro. I think there were 7-8 of us in the gang. One of them bought a new Haro Freestyle Master. If he only still had it. :makeitrain":makeitrain":makeitrain"
    Vintage Haro Master Bmx/freestyle Bike Mid 80s | eBay
    [​IMG]
    (internet pics)
    [​IMG]

17. RCBS

RCBS

Folding pegs...so trick.

I lusted for a Mongoose so badly. I liked chrome. I always leaned more towars ramping and whatnot than the fancy tricks I was no good at. lol

goose.jpg

18. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

I was born in 84' but was huge into the 80s BMX bikes in the mid-late 90s. Back then you could pick one up at a garage sale for next to nothing. My collection was mostly Diamond Backs, but I did have a Haro at one point. I'm kicking myself now because it all ended up in the dumpster as I got older and moved out. Piles of Skyway mags, miscellaneous frames, gyros, pegs, laid back seat posts and an untold amount of original tires all thrown away. :picard:

19. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

20. Moparguy

Moparguy

I'm not sure if I'm Gen X or a Millennial. Born in '82 and which of those I would be considered depends on the source you use for reference. I tend to get along much better with baby boomers and what would be considered the silent generation. Although I don't remember any of the "millennial stereotypes" really applying to anyone I grew up with.

I do remember those Mongoose bikes and I thought there were a few others, redline maybe, not sure as I was just some redneck from the sticks in south Florida and the kids that were into those lived in the city areas. At least I remember them riding them on the sidewalk and not the middle of the road like cyclists these days and without those stupid looking helmets.