In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Anyone know anything about russian olive?

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by shapi, Dec 23, 2017.

1. shapi

shapi

i recently cut a large russian olive tree from a customers yard. Dont want to wait a year plus to find out if it was worth the trouble. Anyone know what the btu rating is ? Hoping its not like willow:mad:

2. Horkn

Horkn

This is one that I haven't found a real good read on as far as btu's. I can't imagine it would be that bad though, it's a hardwood.

Flatlander Pete likes this.
  3. billb3

billb3

Yeah, it's a hardwood. I've only watched some burn in a brush pile though.
    The pine burnt faster.

It will grow right back, too.
    Faster than black cherry.

I've only had one big enough for logs to split and burn and it got mixed in with a cord of a little of this and a little of that.

4. huskihl

huskihl

Looks like its rated at 23. Similar to ash. Needs to season for a couple years or it smells as it burns

5. Horkn

Horkn

Yeah, I saw that from 1 BTU chart.

I don't go off of 1 chart, but rather a couple and average them at worst, or usually I throw out the high and low and average the rest.

I know some people don't like burning it, but some people say they don't like elm. Now, elm gets a bad rap due to it's stubbornness at splitting. It actually burns very nicely.

I've never split or burned Russian olive, but based on what I've read, you'll be just fine. Report back in a year or 2 when you are burning this wood.:yes:

6. billb3

billb3

Seems to me the rounds I had on top of the pile I wasn't going to bother splitting but then they sprouted new branches and stayed green for quite some time so I split them. It's a rather importunate weed. Burn every bit you can get your hands on. :fire::coldfire:

7. justdraftn

justdraftn

Burns really hot, really fast.
    I don't bother w/it.
    It stinks when it burns.

Trying to eradicate it in Colo.
    It and salt cedar.
    They are choking out the native trees
    and consume too much ground water.

8. Timberdog

Timberdog

I have cut and burned a bit of Russian Olive. I only found that one btu chart on the internet which says it has pretty decent BTUs. It does give off some pretty decent heat. It was a popular windbreak tree from decades past. It thrives with zero care. Many places consider it evasive now and are trying to get rid of it. At the time I was just starting out building my firewood supply and it was a hardwood, so I was happy to get it amongst an over abundance of ponderosa pines. When I was cutting it I did not know what it was at first—just that it was heat. It had really long, nasty thorns. So at first, not having any experience with either, I thought it might be black locust. After burning it, it really has a lot of the same characteristics of shagbark juniper. It’s a hard wood and has the same shaggy type bark that catches dirt and is really hard on your chain. It does give off good heat...burns longer than pine. But like the shagbark juniper it leaves a LOT of ash. Just one big load after burning and my stove overflows with ash when I open the door. So it creates a lot more work as far as emptying the stove a lot more. As far as cutting it—wear a thick leather jacket and good gloves. If a branch you are cutting falls on you it’s like a mid-evil mace hurtling out of the sky at you with those nasty thorns. If you have a forestry helmet-wear it for sure with good eye and face protection! As far as the smell...yeah it does have a bit of a funky odor but I have a closed stove not an open fireplace. So I only smell it when I open the door to restoke the fire. Unless I am standing outside in my yard I don’t really even notice it. The dryer it is the less you notice the smell. But I don’t find it unbearable. Just not great.
    As far as splitting, it’s hit or miss with my experience. The straight grained branches just pop apart. But the thicker, older mature part of the trunk can get really stringy and tough—Really stringy and tough. I have saved chunks I was unable to split by hand until just a few weeks ago when I finally bought a hydraulic splitter —that did the trick.
    But the wood is absolutely gorgeous if you wanted to use it for turning or woodworking purposes. It has this deep red heart wood grain with a thin layer of white on the outside and an even thinner layer of black after that. So I don’t go out of my way to get Russian olive and now that I have a good multiple year stock of seasoned firewood I basically avoid it. But the bottom line is it will give you good heat. If you got it, may as well burn it.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
  9. chainsawsoldier

chainsawsoldier

Most of the Russian olive that grows on my place is more like a large shrub. I let mine dry standing up by spraying with crossbow and 2-4D mixture. Some of the larger stems that I can’t cut with the weed eater and brush blade get cut to length and added to the campfire/give away pile. Can’t complain about it, but I don’t go out of my way to find it.
    Charles

Flatlander Pete likes this.
  10. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

The only thing I know is that I hate that stuff. Especially in early May when it blossoms. The stink from the blossoms just fills the air and we could easily call it headache bush.

It seems that the birds are the ones who keep planting more as they eat the berries then drop bomb anywhere they go. It is super fast growing and yes, it has thorns. It is difficult to get rid of unless you get root and all. We are cursed with it.

11. huskihl

huskihl

I agree with all that. Those btu charts vary quite a bit. Must be a regional thing

Flatlander Pete and Horkn like this.
  12. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

Yep I have split and burned Russian Olive. I pretty much agree with Timberdog and his assessment. Since I am on the 3 year plan the Russian Olive I burn has been drying for 3 years and has no smell to it at all.
    I will take it when I can find it because it is free BTU's and I never turn down free BTU's.

Flatlander Pete and Horkn like this.
  13. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

I'm with Backwoods Savage , we've got the shrub sized crap everywhere here. It's considered an invasive species & it lives up to that name. Chokes out everything else & really clutters up the woods. Haven't burnt it other than in brush fires, stinks, thorns are nasty, & dies hard. Best weapon against that stuff is a D4 or larger dozer & a can of Diesel to light it with.

14. Scotty Overkill

Scotty Overkill Administrator

There's a guy on Facebook that mills slabs of Russian olive and turns them into coffee tables and such. It's an incredible looking wood!!

Can't say how it burns, never had the opportunity to cut any. Not even sure it's in our area.

15. Ralphie Boy

Ralphie Boy

I'm in all out war with the stuff on my property. It growes like a bush, as stated by others, and chokes the life from everything around it.

If you have it large enough for fire wood then by all means cut it and burn it! Then pull, dig or poison the stump or else it will return with a vengeance!

16. Flatlander Pete

Flatlander Pete

I too have only seen it as shrub that takes over the timber. Never seen a tree large enough to be CSS. I say if it can be split and stacked why not give it a shot.!?

17. Backwoods Savage

I've only seen a couple here that are large enough to make a log or firewood but have to admit, it reminds me of willow. Yuck.

18. Barcroftb

Barcroftb

Not much to add to the btu discussion. But if you didn't treat the stump you may have a dissapoined customer come the spring.

19. Scotty Overkill

Scotty Overkill Administrator

Here's some pics from that guy on FB. His page is called River Bottom restorations, IIRC. That's some incredible looking grain!!

FB_IMG_1514162594843.jpg

FB_IMG_1514162624106.jpg

20. Backwoods Savage

Scotty, that is nothing short of beautiful!

Barcroftb and Scotty Overkill like this.